EX35 60k recommended service

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
AngieEx35
Car: EX35

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum. My name is Angie. I drive a 2010 EX35. I am coming up on 60k miles and the recommended service list seems extensive and cost $1600! I'm wondering if you can share some insight on what exactly I should pay for and what I can do myself?

Thanks!

AngieEx35

Dealer recommended:

Inspect:
axle & suspension
Brake calipers, pads, rotors
Drive shaft boots
Exhaust system
Front suspension ball joints
Propeller shaft
Steering gear and linkage
Steering linkage ball joints
Multipoint inspection

Services:
Oil and filter change
BG MOA oil conditioner
Rotate tires
BG brake fluid exchange
Reset Maintenance Light
Install BG 44K fuel conditioner
Road test
Cabin filter/air filter
Set tire PSI

Replacements:
differential oil
Engine coolant
Drive belts
Radiator cap
Transfer case oil
Wiper blades
Transmission fluid

mrzuzzo
Car: '08 EX35 Journey AWD

Premium service is $1.2K at my dealer in California, and they usually e-mail out a 10% off coupon as well.

AngieEx35

mrzuzzo wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:34 pm
Premium service is $1.2K at my dealer in California, and they usually e-mail out a 10% off coupon as well.
I'm in Washington D.C. but thanks for the tip!

ArmedAviator
Car: 2012 M37x

Any mechanic or mechanically inclined individual can do this stuff
Inspect:
axle & suspension
Drive shaft boots
Exhaust system
Propeller shaft
Multipoint inspection
Oil and filter change <-- Anywhere or DIY
BG MOA oil conditioner <-- Nope. Snake oil
Rotate tires <-- Anywhere or DIY
BG brake fluid exchange <-- Anywhere or DIY (easy to do during tire rotation with a buddy's help)
Reset Maintenance Light <-- Come on
Install BG 44K fuel conditioner <-- More snake oil...do not do this
Road test <-- I prefer undersea tests, but whatevs
Cabin filter/air filter <-- Do not pay anyone to do either of these. They're maddengly easy.
Set tire PSI <-- DIY
So far I see the cost somewhere between $50-$150 depending what you will do yourself and where you get the rest done including the cost of parts (filters, oil).
differential oil
Engine coolant
Drive belts
Radiator cap
Transfer case oil
Wiper blades
Transmission fluid
Everything above can be done by any old shop or mechanically inclined person, HOWEVER, I would restrict the transmission fluid change to the dealership.

If you have a friend who know his or her way around a car reasonably well, and you give him or her a case of beer and some cash and buy all the parts......less than $600, including the dealer changing ATF.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

Here are some of my thoughts...

Inspect: ( Other than possibly being ready for brake pads, everything else will probably be fine on this INSPECT list.)
axle & suspension
Drive shaft boots
Exhaust system
Propeller shaft
Multipoint inspection

Services:
Oil and filter change - Do it yourself with synthetic for $35... Or any shop could do dino oil for near the same price.
BG MOA oil conditioner - What?? Why do you need oil conditioner if you regularly change your oil?
Rotate tires - If you bought your tires at Discount Tire (and many other shops) that service is free
BG brake fluid exchange - I didn't touch my brake fluid till 85K (I am at 88K now). Whole system flush was $80
Reset Maintenance Light - uh... free.
Install BG 44K fuel conditioner - why the hell do you need fuel conditioner if you run premium and keep your filter clean?
Road test - uh....free.
Cabin filter/air filter - you can do this yourself for $20
Set tire PSI - uh...free.

Replacements:
differential oil - I have RWD. Did my differential at 60K.(posted about it here and I still gag when I remember the smell) it was just as easy as an oil change. I need to do it again.
Engine coolant - again, this takes you minutes and is relatively cheap to refill with new good coolant. (my radiator developed a pinhole leak at about 60K or so)
Drive belts - probably fine. Mine are still fine, but will probably change soon since I am getting close to 90K.
Radiator cap - if it's not broken, .....
Transfer case oil - ? I have a RWD
Wiper blades - GMAFB! $20 for good ones and about 2 minutes to change.
Transmission fluid - it is sealed. I wouldn't mess with this and the manual says it doesn't need to be messed with other than driving in extreme conditions.

$1600 or $1200 less 10%, both are too much.
:)

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Here's another thread with details about the 60K service:
any-experience-advice-on-the-60k-mainte ... 70774.html

I know that dealership pricing in DC may be slightly higher than here in NJ, but I think $1600 is beyond outrageous. In the other discussion thread I linked to, most everyone else paid $600-$700 for their 60K service.

My dealership charges $637 for their 60K recommended service. For that you get an oil & filter change, tire rotation, air filter change, coolant change, and cabin filter change. The rest of the service consists of inspections in, under, and around the vehicle. I didn't see much value for their 60K service given its cost, so I declined it. If I hadn't been able to make the time to do most of the maintenance items myself, I would have paid a mechanic or the dealer to change out pretty much all the fluids, filters, and belt. I feel that my money would be better served by having new stuff put in versus having someone just take a quick look at different parts of the car. Besides, my dealer does a complimentary multi-point inspection every time my car comes in. This is so that they can identify potential trouble spots, which gives them an opportunity to sell more work.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”