Engine shuts off while driving

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
LYork791
Car: 2003 Infiniti fx45

Infiniti FX45 - 2003. Just started experiencing where the engine shuts off unexpectedly as I am driving. It cranks right back up after stopping, putting in park and re-cranking. Anyone experience this - what was the problem and cost to fix? Any ideas?

EdBwoy

LYork791

Thanks, I'll check that out.

LYork791

My husband took the FX45 to Advance Auto parts, it didn't show any sensors being bad. The sales person said maybe we should take it to a garage that has a more sensitive system. It's about every 2 weeks now the engine dies while driving. Just happened today, the truck behind me almost bought my behind!

My mechanically inclined son will be in town next week, since the part is only $30, I might get it and have him change it out anyways. Is it worth a try? Will taking the car to a garage with a more sensitive diagnostic machine show anything different?

I want to get this fixed as I'm ready to sell the car and didn't want to sell this to some unsuspecting soul.

EdBwoy

Experience tells me that it's worth a try, especially if you use the correct sensor. (The OEM part usually costs more than $30)
Read this as one of the more recent examples of a variety of mysterious V8 issues being addressed by that sensor being replaced - 02-q45-stalled-on-freeway-t621497.html

Ultimately though, it is best to have a qualified technician diagnose the problem for you.

LYork791

I hear you. I looked again, plugging my car info into the Advance Auto parts website and the prices came back anywhere from $30 - $60. I need to get this resolved as it is a very dangerous situation. Thanks for the information, at least I'm pointed in the right direction.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

LYork,

please keep us posted on your (hopefully soon) resolution!
I also believe this is where you ought to buy the a bit more spendy OEM part.

They ARE better and for many sensors the parts chains "new or re manufactured as OEM" parts are merely cleaned up used parts.
I know from experiences. Went thru 2 or 3 MAFS from a parts chain since I wanted to save money but with the hassle , aggravation and labor rate money spent.. it would have been better to go with the OEM part right off the bat.

Nico has some great parts sponsors who can send you that actual OEM part for much less than your local dealer.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”