Drain plugs on 2015 Nissan Rogue, esp coolant and cvt/transmission.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
engineer20
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Package

So today, I just changed the oil for the first time. THe oil filter is hidden to the side by flap, and under the hood, I saw the lower and hi port for air conditioning,but I was curious as to whether or not the CVT had a drain plug or not and whether or not there was one for the radiator/coolant too. If so, where are they and can you show some pictures of them? Thanks. I saw one potential candidate for a transmission drain plug, it was very wide/fat of a hex under the transmission pan, but wasn't sure if that was it. And if there is a transmission or cvt drain plug, how many mm or sae inches are they? I saw the transmission pan, and it had the bolts, and i know with automatic trans, you can "drop the pan" and change the filter and gasket,but does this CVT have a transmission filter and is it replaceable or serviceable or no? ANd is there a transmission gasket? I'm guessing there are because there is a transmission pan. Thanks.

engineer20

is the drain and fill/drain plug the same as on the previous generation rogue or at least similar or is it very different? the dipstick is accessible by a screwdriver, but you can't simply pull it out like an oil dipstick?

cvt-transmission-fuid-change-t572758.html

engineer20

I went under the rogue, did an oil change, saw the oil was black, it was mobil 1 EP 0w20, only in there for 3 months/2000 miles and it was dark! and refilled with mobil 1ep and kept the filiter on, as they claim it's a 15k filter and it was an expensive filter that's only been on for 2000 miles and it'd be wasteful to change it out

anyways, i went under and saw on the driver side, under there was a black pan, i think that's the trans pan, and i saw it had a 19mm drain plug, i opened it, and some bluish/clearish fluid came out, i'm guessing that's the cvt? then, there's this silver thing, to the left of it or next to it and it had a 14mm drain plug and i opened that and the same fluid came out, is that the cvt as well or is that thdifferential? thanks.

unable to find the coolant drain plug, but that splash shield would have to be removed, i'll figure it out when the time comes, my coolant is between the min/max marks, do i want to top it off to the max mark or no? it's been sitting outside, or is it ok as is?

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

There is a DIY section on this forum that has some info about the cvt, including a link in post #2 to a Nissan PDF.

Lots of other good info in that DIY section about your rogue also.

cvt-fluid-change-t468197.html

I hope you didn't drain to much of that fluid out. I have heard that Nissan tends to overfill their transmissions slightly from the factory. I'm not sure why. So probably no damage done.

I've never changed my oil on anything without changing the filter. Expensive? Well maybe, $20 filter , $5000+ engine. The filter is cheap insurance.

Your coolant is fine as long as its between the min and max lines.

Maximus099
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Funny thing. I was at the dealer for an oil change and the next morning I popped the hood and noticed the coolant level on the overflow bottle was about half an inch under the MIN line. I called the dealer and the service tech told me thats ok since its the overflow bottle and as long as there's collant under the cap on top of the rad theres nothing to worry about. I asked him why does nissan put those lines on the overflow bottle then? he started to stutter and try to evade the subject. I asked him if they top off the liquids when we bring the car in and he said yes. This is the first dealer I see where the clients cannot see their vehicule being serviced because of the way their seating area is and to be honest I don't like it.

I understand that we have to give them the benefit of the doubt and to trust that there's honest services out there but this last experience left me with a bitter taste. Do you guys/gals actually see your vehicules being serviced when at the dealer. My Honda dealer has these huge floor to ceiling windows to see the garage and technicians at work so did my Toyota dealer in the past. Thanks

phjake
Car: 2015 Murano SL

Maximus099 wrote:Funny thing. I was at the dealer for an oil change and the next morning I popped the hood and noticed the coolant level on the overflow bottle was about half an inch under the MIN line. I called the dealer and the service tech told me thats ok since its the overflow bottle and as long as there's collant under the cap on top of the rad theres nothing to worry about. I asked him why does nissan put those lines on the overflow bottle then? he started to stutter and try to evade the subject. I asked him if they top off the liquids when we bring the car in and he said yes. This is the first dealer I see where the clients cannot see their vehicule being serviced because of the way their seating area is and to be honest I don't like it.

I understand that we have to give them the benefit of the doubt and to trust that there's honest services out there but this last experience left me with a bitter taste. Do you guys/gals actually see your vehicules being serviced when at the dealer. My Honda dealer has these huge floor to ceiling windows to see the garage and technicians at work so did my Toyota dealer in the past. Thanks
The dealership I go to for service has windows that allow you to view the garage area.

engineer20

and is the 2015 e power steering or regular power steering fluid? the dealer didn't nkow! and yes, it's good to go to a dealer where you can viewe the dealer, kind of shady that the coolant level is low!

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

engineer20 wrote:and is the 2015 e power steering or regular power steering fluid? the dealer didn't nkow! and yes, it's good to go to a dealer where you can viewe the dealer, kind of shady that the coolant level is low!
Power steering on the Rogue is electric, not hydraulic. No fluid needed.

Maximus099
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

What does a whining noise when turning the steering wheel indicate? 2014 rogue sv awd. thanks

engineer20

what's the recommended viscocity for the gear oil to be used in the differential? like 85 w 90 or something? I know the nissan dealers use pennzoil brand, but can you use valvoline or other brands? what about mobil 1? Thanks. and where is that drain plug for the awd differential?

88GrapIridium
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue 2wd

For the coolant flush check out diy-coolant-flush-t565427.html
Don't neglect to drain the engine block; on page 2 of that DIY I have some photos to locate the engine block coolant drain plug. Many people only drain the radiator leaving behind some old coolant in the engine block. Good luck and have fun.

engineer20

Is the purolator synthetic a good oil filter? They're putting it on sale at meijer now. It's the P14612 oil filter for this rogue right, same as the previous generation rogue, and the battery size is group 35 for this, right?

For the differential/transfer case, or the awd fluid, it's 80w90, apparenlty, right, or was it 75 90? Anyways, which one of these is better, will a quart or gallon transfer pump work? What about a multipurpose transfer pump? What about this gear oil/differential pump they sell at harbor freight, or is it the same thing? Thanks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use- ... 66418.html

vs

http://www.harborfreight.com/gear-oil-a ... 61746.html

vs

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool- ... B00329VL3G or http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PFM0/W1139.oap http://www.ebay.com/bhp/quart-pump also available readily at walmart/meijer in Pennzoil brand

engineer20

For the coolant, you need to remove the shield. I'm bad at removing shields/have limited experience with removing black plastic fasteners, do I need to replace them are they one time use only, or can I reuise those black fasteners, and i know the daelership sells them as well as Napa as long as you have the specs, but do you need any specialized tools to remove them, or no, and it shoulnd't be that hard to remove the shield, right, as I want to do a drain and fill on my coolant soon (should I do it this soon, car has 11k now was bought 11/2014 so a month and a few years) i want to do it this spring, or next fall? Or wait another year? Then it can go thru another winter, it's been thru 2 winters now, maybe do the coolant next spring or fall, after 3 winters, since it's long life coolant, that can last longer than 2 years, but if i had green, i'd replace after 2 years, or 2 winters, right? Anyways, which side is the coolant drain plug on, and any advice on removing the shield, or any specialized tools required in removing that shield? Thanks.

88GrapIridium

There are so many different varieties of plastic fasteners & I don't know what Nissan used on the 2015 but as long as they pop back in and keep everything snug they are okay to reuse, why not? As for removing them I use a variety of tools depending on the style of fastener. On some I use a small screwdriver or thin pry bar with a V-fork to carefully work it out to where I can use a pliers. Google "how to remove plastic auto body fasteners" and there are several resources. They do make some tools and I have tried a few mainly a thin "fork" and that sometimes is best.

As for the oil filter the last Nissan brand oil filter I just removed from the 2008 was nothing special--I cut it open to see what was inside. It looked very much like a Purolator but was made by Grupo Gonher a Mexican company (it said so right on the can in small type under the large NISSAN). Personally I prefer WIX or more specifically NAPA Gold which is the exact same WIX filter just re-branded "NAPA". My local NAPA has a once a month 40% off sale on them. The WIX has the higher quality silicone antidrain back material while the Nissan/Gonher just used the black nitrile. Also I like the coil spring of the WIX vs the "flat spring" of the Gonher but that's just me. The Nissan/Gonher bypass valve was like a Purolator and seemed fine. Upon inspection the Nissan factory filter seemed equivalent to a bottom of the line Purolator classic or other "better quality" economy filter (better than the super cheap economy filters). To answer your question the Purolator filter you mentioned (PL14612 is what I assume you meant, the Pure One?) should be a great filter, buy it if you like the price, it should be a better quality than the Nissan dealer filter IMO.

88GrapIridium

I waited too long to edit/correct my last post but I rechecked and the Nissan/Gonher anti-drain back valve does actually appear to be silicone, the better material. I also looked at the filter media under the microscope and it appears to be cellulose media though I am no expert. Whether all synthetic vs mixed or all cellulose is better or worse I don't know. Therefore I am upgrading my opinion on the Nissan/Gonher filter a notch.

engineer20

I'm guessing it's just the black one from this video, tohugh this is previous generation, a lot of the stuff's the same.
https://youtu.be/rhOFQKvB-QQ

The silver one, cvt fluid came out too, so if I do a drain and fill, should I or can I open both up, or is one the differential fluid? it seemed like cvt fluidk though, from the silver thing.

Also, i guess dont' use the h freight one, use the fluid/quart tranfser pump, and dont' use the multipurpose transfer pump either

https://youtu.be/yabgckURzF4
and is therea cvt transmission filter? Can you or is it worthwhile to drop the pan to change the filter, or is there no filter inside the pan, and the filter is deep inside the transmission, like what was the case for this 09 taurus? Thanks.

engineer20

so i bought the quart and gallon one for 9.99 at advance auto parts since that seems to be the best one for the gear oil changing
but what car is mechanically most similar to the rogue? the murano, or the altima, i know the engine/stuff is similar to the altima and the dashbaord is identical, whereas the dashboards on the other nissan cars are different. i';m asking because the junkyard u pulll it one, has altimas but no rogues, so i was wondering if i practiced my skills on the altima, would that treansfer over the rogue, or what about on a pathfinder, or is a pathfinder completely different? also, for the sake of buying a haynes repair manual, as they don't make a nissan rogue repair manual, but do for the altima, so would a nissan altima repair manual work if i'm trying to learn repair techniques on the rogue? Thanks.

engineer20

the dealer told me the trans has a filter but isn't accessible by dropping the pan, it's pointless, just drain and fill, he said it's inside, by the torque converter, so don't replace the filter unless you're in there, or rebuilding it, but these cvts often aren't rebuildable and are replaced, for like 4000 or under warranty, anyone witha newer cvt, on the 2014 or 2015 rogue or related vehicles have any issues yet? the dealership said this gen they've seen a lot fewer come in for cvt issues, but they saw more of the previous ones, on the rogue select and such coming back for cvt issues.

engineer20

does this car take regular or e power steering fluid?

engineer20

For the key, if you had the traditional key, you can copy it for cheap, then you had these cars with the traditional key with a transponder chip, you can copy it for cheap and the key can open doors, but it can't start the engine, but it can open doors. after that, and on the 2015 rogue, you have a keyless key, just that key fob smart key. my question is, can you get a cheap/cheaper key that can only open doors but can't start the engine which would be useful in case I get locked out, would it look like a physical key, or would it be like the no keyed key, or key fob, would batteries bulbs plus do this for cheap, or can only the dealer get you an extra key, any cheaper key option keys?

engineer20

i went under the rogue frmo the back the other day, i saw the drain plugs or hi/low port for the differential/awd fluid, its' int he back towards the exahsust, is that right? speaking of exhaust, i saw my exhaust and tailpipe began rusting as wella s the muffler, the car was rustproofed, and believe it or now, t the rustrproof has worked! the chassis/underboady is not rusty at all, only the muffler/exhaust pipe began rusting, can i spray whtie lithium grease there to prevent rust, or what other sprays can i use? also,

also, those new keys, those push to start, keyless keys, can you "copy" them for cheap, as in can you copy a "physical key" or a traditional key from those keys, or are the only copie you can make, also those keyless key fob press to start things, or is there a cheap way to copy them? since many new cars have that now? just curious, and , thanks. as if u have a transponder chip, you acn still copy the key for cheap, which can oepn dooors (keep with you in yuour wallet so you dno't get locked out, but it wont' start the engine, but that's better than nothing, since my main concern is having a spare/locked out/leaving keys inthe car, so can you copy a cheap key with those ""keyless key fob keys" thanks.

engineer20

copied the key, on the key fob, there is an emergency key, you open the tag and it's a physical key with a "blade key"
copied at walmart for 1.78, home depot could do for 1.98 and now it works and opens doors, no need to program, just copy the emergency key in the key fob that's part of it and part of it can go on your keychain.

the walmart key said it contained lead, do many keys contain lead or no, and does the home depot key contain lead or no? the rustproofing I did last year held up well thru the winter, you can still see the grease and the parts didn't rust underneath! but the muffer/tailpipe already began rusting, so that means the rustproof works. can i spray white lithium grease or undercoating / rubberized undercoating under the exhaust / muffler so it doesn't rust, and is profesional rustproofing better than diy ruberized undercoating/white lith grease undercoating? thanks.

engineer20

My 2015 Rogue fuel door won't open. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it for free under warranty, this is considered a warranty repair, right? What went wrong with it? Could I have fixed it myself by spraying wd40 or pb blaster? Thanks. It wouldn't open, and I was almost out of gas, then I fuled up after they fixed it and went to work this morning.

mmahmad
Car: Nissan Rogue 2015 SV
Nissan Sentra 2006 S

Hi engineer20,

I been reading all your posts and really love them. Thank you and I almost have same questions. I got a 2015 Rogue SV FWD and planning to drain the CVT Fluid. I see your posts from Back 2016. Can you please share your experience how it went.

Mine is at 80K miles and I do not think ever been changed by old user. Do I need to only drain the CVT fluid out from the main 19mm black bold or with that I have to open the 14 mm silver bold too ?
Approx how much NS-3 CVT Fluid QT I need to drain it out and refill ?
Do you take care of the temp of the fluid while drain out and refill as Nissan suggest. I do not have all those tools to measure it. I was thinking to just fill up what ever qty come out. What is your opinion on that ?

Thank you and hope to get your response quickly being an expert on this vehicle by now. I'll appreciate.

Return to “Rogue Forum”