DIY: Rear Differential Fluid Change

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Just because I still had enough fluid left and I wasn’t at all excited how the rear diff looked even after the second drain, I did it again today. Much better than the second time but still some shavings on the magnet. I’ll prbly do it again in a few K because it’s just that easy. The transfer case, not so much. I’ll probably tackle that every 20k given the stock fluid didn’t really look bad considering the factory didn’t even have it full.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Wow, thought my ocd was bad. I changed my diff fluid with 80w-90 but after a few weeks I think, I wanted only the best so I changed it to synthetic 75w-90 and dumped the still new valvoline gear oil.

I understand changing the cvt fluid repetitively, but I’m not really worried about the transfer/diff as I am with the crappy Jatco cvt transmission.

If I had to chose between the two, I would go overboard with the cvt fluid. :inoutgay:

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Lol I hear ya. I’m 48, been married for 26 yrs and often look for projects to get me outside. While my newer cars are under warranty I’ll let the dealer deal with the cvt so it’s documented in case it grenades. Now my 09 get changed as much as the oil...wel almost. I loaded up on eneos ns3 from napa when they had the 25%off a few months ago. Once out of warranty I’ll start working though the 24qts I’ve stocked up.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

casperfun wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:02 pm
Wow, thought my ocd was bad. I changed my diff fluid with 80w-90 but after a few weeks I think, I wanted only the best so I changed it to synthetic 75w-90 and dumped the still new valvoline gear oil.

I understand changing the cvt fluid repetitively, but I’m not really worried about the transfer/diff as I am with the crappy Jatco cvt transmission.

If I had to chose between the two, I would go overboard with the cvt fluid. :inoutgay:
Any issue running synthetic? The manual calls for gl5 non synthetic so I stayed with their recommendation for whatever reason that may be. At least while I’m under 60k.

casperfun

I think you said it best earlier, there’s no difference, which I say is a good thing, as it drives like normal.

Normal, like when new, in the beginning, in the middle, or a decade later. I’ll take it.

They do say synthetic is better when changing motor oil, so I tend to follow that train of thought with severe gear oil changes in the diff/transfer case also. :mike

casperfun

So I just changed the diff after 20k, but I used my leftover high performance valvoline 80w-90.
The magnet had substantial gunk on it.

When I have time, I'll do the transfer case with my leftover Amsoil severe gear oil.

Since I plan to change it more often than not, ill just use whatever fluid is sitting around. :mike

casperfun

Forgot to say that the amsoil looked like golden honey while draining the diff case. Or as that amsoil guy always says, liquid gold. Protection, protection, protection. :woot:

They say to change this amsoil stuff normally at 100k and a severe schedule at 50k.

So presently I’m at no rush doing the transfer case. Just wanted to see how the diff is holding up. :bigthumb:

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

I planned to do the fluid change for the transfer case when I changed the fluids for the CVT, engine, and differential over the weekend, but gave up after several attempts -- I tried a 10mm allen wrench but found it hard to orientate it where I could actually apply force to unseat the fill plug. I didn't realize there were socket bits that can be used on ratchets or breaker bars like this: https://www.amazon.ca/LEXIVON-Complete- ... B07MDLCLML
Oh well... hindsight's always 20/20 :bang

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Just go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and get a 3/8 hex for your ratchet. I use a piece of pipe as a breaker so I’m not busting my knuckles. Just make sure you keep the hex perfectly seated as the plug is easy to round out.

casperfun

+1 my floor jack handle is my goto breaker pipe for my ratchet on many occasions. :monkey:

Return to “Rogue Forum”