DIY Install Teaser Shots: Akebono BBK

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
EX-KAT-35
Car: EX35, V70R, Civic

Since there is a shortage of good, knowledgeable DIY instructions for this upgrade I'm currently in the process of throwing together the most complete DIY ever.

I helped my boyfriend install my BBK and with the help of the ESM and his knowhow it should be really good.

With all the brake problems we seem to be having I just chose to step away from the dealer alter and take care of my braking hardware. I dont need a brake warranty for the shuddering I suffered with for the past 2 years off and on depending on braking situation.

Anyways on to the pics... more to come. :inoutgay:

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

Coming from an RDX with the Hondata reflash to my stock EX35 RWD (K&N is my only engine 'enhancement'), the stock brakes on my EX are SO much better than the RDX brakes I was familiar with. I have only put about 7K miles on my EX so far, but have never once felt the need to invest there.
That being said, I do love the look of the G37S brakes and wish we had those too. Even though I might think our brakes are fine, I am sure if I drove one with a substantial difference, I would probably start thinking about doing an upgrade like yours. Besides the new calipers and rotors, is there anything else you need to replace?

(Your wheels look great!)

sashki2
Car: Altima 3.5SE Coupe Manual Transmission
Infiniti EX35

I too like the brakes in comparing to my previous cars.
What is this thing with infiniti letters on it? Is this just a decoration cover or real brakes?

EX-KAT-35

Hello fellow EX'ers.
I've been busy at work and I am currently a bit under the weather. :sad:
Things move at a relaxed pace here anyways.
ALL questions will be answered in the DIY. A little reading will show the similar bloodlines btw Infiniti models and Nissan models too :

Q5 equivalent to A4
CRV equivalent to Civic
RDX equivalent to CRV
Cayenne equivalent to Toureg
GLK equivalent to C-class
EX equivalent to G

So many OEM Infiniti parts interchange with little drama.
Here are some photos comparing my results... sorry I'm not that good of a photographer with my cell.
This mod is NOT for the feint of heart or brake warranty wary EX owner.
I'm "in it" for the looks, I got tired of my stock brakes shuddering, and the improved stopping power is pleasant too. All I need to do is lightly tap my brake pedal.

Here's some eye candy while I work on the DIY (Note: chrome wrench arm & rubber handle in the first pic, stainless steel brake line in the second pic.):

18-inch wheel minimum needed so my pristine "curb-rash-free" 17's will be going up for sale with less than 26k miles on the Michelin Latitude tires with NO air pressure sensors.
Last edited by EX-KAT-35 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Looks like a good fit in there.
I've done a bunch of these in Ms but never an EX.
Looks very good. :cheers:

IamDJDubz
Car: 2008 INFINITI EX35 AWD

UGHHHH IM SO PISSED IVE BEEN ASKING ON THIS FORUM FOR A WHILE NOW AND WHAT BRAKES AND ROTORS TO UPGRADE TO... AND HAVEN'T GOTTEN THE RIGHT RESPONSE. WELL LET ME REPHRASE THAT, I DID BUT I ASKED ABOUT THE BBK AND NO ONE RESPONDED. SO I ENDED UP ORDERING THE R1 CONCEPT E-LINE BRAKES AND DRILLED SLOTTED ROTORS. I CAN PROBABLY JUST PUT THEM BACK ON EBAY AND RESELL THEM MYSELF.

PLEASE TELL ME WHERE DID YOU BUY THESE BRAKES AND ROTORS? IVE BEEN DYING TO GET THE AKEBONO BBK 'S BUT I HEAR THAT THEY DONT FIT REGULAR ROTORS I HAVE TO BUY FRONT ROTORS AND BACK ROTORS THEY DO NOT FIT WITH THE ONES THAT COMES WITH THE G37 AKEBONO BBK SET... EX-KAT, SHOOT ME AN EMAIL IF YOU CAn TO [email protected]

PLEASE HELP ME GET EVERYTHING I NEED … BECAUSE I NEED ALL NEW BRAKES AND ROTORS ALL THE WAY AROUND… THANKS

EX-KAT-35

Reply coming your way on what I got and what I did.
Check your PM this evening.
If u can wait till I throw the DIY together with the help of my boyfriend then u will have the steps and pitfalls all in a neat bow.
Gotta run to a meeting now. :)

PM Sent IamDJDubz :yesnod Sending a follow up tomorrow (Sat)
Last edited by EX-KAT-35 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EX-KAT-35

I simply MUST take a moment to thank XIS and SteveTheTech for the props/kind encouragement and compliments on my wheels and this most unsure of braking mods due to the fact that it has not been documented yet.

The documentation part however is about to change.

Everyone have a wonderful 3-day President's Day Weekend.

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

I'm looking forward your write-up, also.

Lately, my Brakes have been grabbing ever so lightly... so I know there's a hint of Rotor warpage.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

EXceptional wrote:Lately, my Brakes have been grabbing ever so lightly... so I know there's a hint of Rotor warpage.
That would most likely cause a pulsation relative to the vehicle speed. A slight grab might be the pads either being dirty or getting worn. How do they act after driving for half an hour?

jrmotorsports55
Car: 2011 EX35 AWD Journey (wife's car)

Looks great, looking forward to more info on this.

Jason

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

EXceptional wrote:I'm looking forward your write-up, also.

Lately, my Brakes have been grabbing ever so lightly... so I know there's a hint of Rotor warpage.

See below and get that puppy fixed for free.

maintenance-at-the-stealership-t555682.html#p6311444

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB00-024e.pdf

LGmobile
Car: Infiniti EX35
Nissan 350Z

Sorry for bumping this from the dead but im getting my parts together for this upgrade. It seems like a simple enough parts list. I am just not sure which rims to go with for my 2008 ex35 AWD to clear the akebono calipers.

The original post used 370z rims from the 19" sports model. Im not a huge fan of those rims and im not sure if spacers were used. Did she use the front and rear rims staggered like the Z setup or just front rims all the way around ?

Has anyone tried this setup with the factory 2011+ 19" ex35 rims ?

I am taking step by step pics of my upgrade for future users. The calipers are really cheap, 800$ shipped, brand new from infinitiparts

jrmotorsports55

I'm planning on running 18 x 8 Enkei Lusso's (black with polished lips). Tirerack has them for $162 each. Those with 245s and new tpms are like 1600 shipped for all new parts.

Jason

parkstr8r
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q70S
2016 Gt-R
2018 Audi Q7
2016 Audi S6 (gone)

I'm having my Infiniti Akebono kit installed as we speak!

woot!

EX-KAT-35

LGmobile wrote:Sorry for bumping this from the dead but im getting my parts together for this upgrade. It seems like a simple enough parts list. I am just not sure which rims to go with for my 2008 ex35 AWD to clear the akebono calipers.

The original post used 370z rims from the 19" sports model. Im not a huge fan of those rims and im not sure if spacers were used. Did she use the front and rear rims staggered like the Z setup or just front rims all the way around ?

Has anyone tried this setup with the factory 2011+ 19" ex35 rims ?
I did go with staggered wheels. I don't need any spacers.
The brakes will clear 18-inch and larger Infiniti wheels. The problem however might be the offset. (Use spacers as needed there is plenty of room under there.)
Why? If u look at my pics on a 47mm offset wheel 19x9.5 the caliper spacing is pretty snug.
parkstr8r wrote:I'm having my Infiniti Akebono kit installed as we speak!

woot!
Right-on parkstr8r... :dblthumb:
U will love them.

What brake pad did u go with? (It makes quite a difference which pad composition u use.)
Did u get the stainless steel lines as well?

Don't forget that they need to be PROPERLY bedded in for maximum effect. We had to do 2 pad bedding sessions to get them to really start scrubbing off speed nicely. :laugh:

parkstr8r
2016 Gt-R
2018 Audi Q7
2016 Audi S6 (gone)

The installer will do the bedding for me...

I did coss drilled and slotted rotors, with Centric PosiQuiet pads. No SS brakelines - i'm in Los Angeles and my average speed is....drum roll please....18mph.

And my average MPG is 12.

EX-KAT-35

Well with those low speeds u wont see any benefits from the cross-drilled rotors either... :rotfl
You do have the aggressive looks from your rotors which is a plus. :dblthumb:
Those pads are not the best. I had those. Let us know how they feel to you.
With the stainless steel lines u feel the responsiveness EVERY TIME u come to a stop not just from speed - very reassuring. :yesnod

parkstr8r
2016 Gt-R
2018 Audi Q7
2016 Audi S6 (gone)

I did it mainly for aesthetics - rotors and calipers - but I do love the upgrade. I almost went with stock pads- but the posi quiet were a free upgrade. We'll see.

I rarely get more than about 18 months out of pads anyway in our lovely stop and go traffic.
Last edited by parkstr8r on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

jrmotorsports55

Pulled the trigger on a full set of used calipers that I came across for a good price. Now to choose rotors, and get new wheels.

Jason

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

Sounds exciting. Make sure you take a couple pics and let us know how easy (or not) it was!

parkstr8r
2016 Gt-R
2018 Audi Q7
2016 Audi S6 (gone)

And...here are mine!

EX-KAT-35

... and then there were TWO.

CONGRATULATIONS on your Akebono BBK purchase and install.
They look realy nice peeking out from behind your 20s.

Driving impressions?

parkstr8r
2016 Gt-R
2018 Audi Q7
2016 Audi S6 (gone)

Thanks. Too early to tell on the pads -I need 100 miles of normal driving so they bed properly. All good so far tho. I can hear a little something tho when the windows are down. I think it's just the pads forming to the rotors.

I dig the way they look!

jrmotorsports55

Got my used calipers/pads today. Pretty good shape for 39K miles. Now it's time to get rotors/lines/wheels/tires. Gonna be a little bit to get the cash together.

Jason

EX-KAT-35

On my 2nd set of pads with Akebono BBK. Now on Hawk HPS pads - just FYI half the dustiness of the OEM pads. Much MUCH easier to clean while washing the car.

Bled brake fluid in 2015. It is starting to get cloudy again right on time for its 2 year interval.

EX35WinterBeater
Car: Summer: 2003 Honda S2000
Winter: 2008 Infiniti EX35

Cool to see a BBK as an option. I actually find the brakes on my EX pretty good though considering the size of it. My summer car is an s2000 which has amazing brakes. I haven't driven the EX much since buying it, so maybe after DDing it for the winter, I change my mind on the brakes. Doubting it though.

EX-KAT-35

EX35WinterBeater wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:30 am
Cool to see a BBK as an option. I actually find the brakes on my EX pretty good though considering the size of it. My summer car is an s2000 which has amazing brakes. I haven't driven the EX much since buying it, so maybe after DDing it for the winter, I change my mind on the brakes. Doubting it though.
Thank you for the knid words EX35WinterBeater.

My BBK is strictly 70% looks for me and 30% performance improvment.
The brakes react a little quicker in the rain with the slots in the rotors helping to rid them of water upon initial braking.
The pedal is a little stiffer, more responsive, and easier to modulate with the stainless steel braided lines I have in place of the rubber OEM brake lines.
The larger surface makes them harder to warp then the 1-inch smaller OEM rotors.

The OEM brakes are quite good for what they are. Driven back-to-back with the dealer loaner - a noticeable difference.
Given the uses I put my EX to the big brakes are not a NEEDED mod in anyway as I am not as aggressive a driver as many guys are BUT its a good one. :dblthumb:

piSSko
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35 AWD

have anyone noticed on their ex35, once you wash your car ( rotors are wet) u touch a little bit break paddle and it stops, but if rotors are dry, you need to press the paddle harder?
Im looking to change my front rotors (RAYBESTOS) and pads as they are already around 40k and warped...:(

Jaymes
Car: 2017 QX50 BEAST WAGON

Ex-kat I see you have some extensive mods pn your car. Did you modify the suspension/sway bars by any chance? Looking good, Im sure those wider wheels help the car feel more planted

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”