Maintenance at the Stealership

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
TrippiN22
Car: 2009 EX35

My 09 EX35 is (over) due for it's 48,000KM maintenance and looking at the dealers "Service Menu" this is an expensive one.

http://www.hyattinfiniticalgary.com/service-menu.htm

So far I've followed this service plan but now before I drop $500+ bucks I want to feel at least a little informed. Are the items under "Service D" all really necessary? They also recommended "driveline fluid service" (for another 250+ bucks!!) do I need to this? Basically, what service do I need to get done without being taken for a further ride from the stealership? I am likely looking to keep the vehicle long term.

Any and all advice is appreciated. TIA

sirnice
Car: EX35

:poke: They seem higher than what my dealership charges.
Service A (Oil Change) seems high unless they provide Synthetic. My dealership only charge around $40.
I'm planning on doing my own oil change after the warranty is up but I would NOT pay over $80 for it.
They make it sound like a lot of things are being done but most of it is just inspection (just a quick look) and charge you big $$$ for it.
Replacing engine air filter is super easy (just drop it in).
Cabin air filter is also easy to do (done it myself) and it cost $14 at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/TYC-800091P-Infin ... &carId=003 :biggrin:

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

I am doing my own little stuff like oil,filters, INSPECTIONS... I would ask for a coupon for service A and then go to discount tire for a free rotation.
They are just asking you if it is OK to rob you blind. Tell them it is not OK.

:)

sashki2
Car: Altima 3.5SE Coupe Manual Transmission
Infiniti EX35

look at it this way too: if when it says recommended (vs. required), it means if you don't do it, it doesn't void the warranty. If it doesn't void the warranty it's because it doesn't break anything. So it's really up to you if a certain service is worth the money. Take, a cabin filter replacement for instance. What happens if you don't replace it? Dirty filter means less air inflow and, at times, in humid areas, smell of wet dirty cloth :). If you don't notice anything in your case, do you really need to replace it?

TrippiN22
Car: 2009 EX35

Thanks for the responses. I have changed the cabin air filter myself and I can definitely change the engine air filter as well so that might save me a few bucks. The other items of "check" and "inspect" I assume are mostly BS. The problem being I don't know enough about it myself, so I guess I have to make the decision whether it's worth my money for them to look at it or not.

I assume that if I try and talk to the dealership about selectively paying only for certain items out of their package, they will make that extremely difficult.

Looking at service "D", it seems the money is in the "change automatic transmission fluid". So, do you guys think that needs to be done now? Is it something that if I waited another 48km and then did it wouldn't cause any harm? What about the same questions on the "Driveline Fluid Service"?

Thanks again!

sashki2
Infiniti EX35

speaking of air filters, how many does ex have? Are you, guys, buying an oem or any of the rack filter will do in your opinion?

EX-KAT-35
Car: EX35, V70R, Civic

TrippiN22 u are definitely not trippin... pun intended.

I have been to the dealer for 3 service visits in the last 3 years and 30k miles.
My boyfriend does all the oil+filter changes u can see from a previous post(s) of mine on here.

As for intake air filters - Pop the hood and take a look. We have dual intake and dual exhaust. Not sure if the exhaust is "true dual" all the way back because I don't look under there but the intake is easy for a lightweight gearhead girl like me to see once u pop the hood. :chuckle:

Now as for service "packages". We had our plan worked out for maximum longevity of the car:

Changed the transmission fluid by 20k miles - the service advisor looked at me like I was crazy I told them to change it anyway.

Changed also power steering fluid by 20k miles.

Changed transfer case oil and differential oil + coolant by 36k miles.

Just flushed my brakes at little over 36k miles when we changed my braking system. Mine were at 3 years since flush. It should be 2yrs but most mechanics will say 3 is okay.

Basically service what u want and can afford or stick to the "recommended" schedule and be prepared for HUGE shocks to your wallet as things break or become due.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

speaking of stealership maintenance... I dropped my EX off this morning for them to take a look at my a/c compressor. UNDER WARRANTY...while it lasts. It just seems rough and noisier than it should...and the noise progresses throughout the day...then starts again on the low side of the noise scale the next morning. Kind of like an older diesel engine sound, just more quiet. not so much knocking, as just not smooth...vibrating noise without shaking too bad. Hard to describe, but as soon as I click the a/c button and turn the compressor off - the noise is gone. You hear it more when you are just idling or cruising slowly. I am just hoping they replace it for me...even though it still blows ice cold.

(oh, the G37 loaner just screams and purrs) I do wish we had that engine/exhaust.

:cool:

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

Just got a call from the dealership (oh, BTW - I am driving about 15 miles out of my way to an Infiniti dealership in Scottsdale because the dealership in Phoenix that is just 2 miles away just doesn't compare in terms of customer service, professionalism and attitude... This Scottsdale dealership is great!)

The DEALERSHIP is replacing the a/c compressor under wty.

however - the STEALERSHIP wants $225+ just to re-surface the front rotors due to a very slight and momentary braking vibration. The pads are fine. Now I need to find a better price for a re-surface or a replacement...

Any suggestions?

sashki2
Infiniti EX35

take them off and take them to a local auto store to resurface them at $20 each :)
In IMHO, this type of job doesn't require highly professionalism - everything is done on a machine. They can't take off too little of the rotor because it'd be clearly visible and they can't take off too much because that's extra work. If you don't want to mess with it yourself, any shop would do

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

Again, cant say enough about the Scottsdale dealership. First Class. I researched bulletins for infiniti rotor warp, found one that applied to ALL infinitis, left him a message stating that I felt the rotor resurface should be picked up by infiniti... An hour or so later, he called back to thank me for bringing it to their attention and that they would be re-surfacing the rotors for free and installing some sort of back plate to help prevent it from warping in the future.

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB00-024e.pdf

Woo hoo!

sashki2
Infiniti EX35

There was a bunch of people complaining about breaks here and that all could be taken care of for free?! Nice!
Speaking of service bulletins, I saw one there talking about the radio/navigation system. When you skip to a next pre-programmed radio stations using stirring wheel controls, the system doesn't go to all them. Apparently to fix that they reload the whole system with new software which includes maps. What I'm wondering is, do they keep old set of maps around for fixing this or do they give you a new set of maps? That's would be a nice free bee! I can try to reproduce the issue since I think I know what caused it in my case.

EX-KAT-35
Car: EX35, V70R, Civic

XIS wrote:Just got a call from the dealership (oh, BTW - I am driving about 15 miles out of my way to an Infiniti dealership in Scottsdale because the dealership in Phoenix that is just 2 miles away just doesn't compare in terms of customer service, professionalism and attitude... This Scottsdale dealership is great!)

The DEALERSHIP is replacing the a/c compressor under wty.

however - the STEALERSHIP wants $225+ just to re-surface the front rotors due to a very slight and momentary braking vibration. The pads are fine. Now I need to find a better price for a re-surface or a replacement...

Any suggestions?
Good thing you didnt have to pay for the poor material selection or supplier skimping that most likely is causing this. :werd:
I'm glad u found the doc on the warped brakes.
Especially since u are a frequent visitor of this forum where many of us (myself included) have posted about the stealer installing new front brake rotors for FREE as per the "hidden", "secretive" Infiniti recall.

As for the backing plate. Its a new brake dust shield which we had to cut off when my BBK was installed. INTERESTING... Installing that requires removing the axle bolt and wheel bearing bolts according to my boyfriend. Too much work for a brake swap.

Lots of folks run without brake dust shields. :cool:

However, I have them on my short-list ($25 each... ugggh) for order later when I start having wheel bearing problems with the rough roads out here.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

So pleased with how my car is feeling now. No slight vibration from the a/c. Brakes are smmmmooth and grippy with no vibration at high speed braking. WONDERFUL!!!

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

I did find this in the Brake TSB...

CLAIMS INFORMATION
Please reference the current Infiniti "Warranty Flat Rate Manual" and submit your claim(s) using the Operation Code (Op Code) or combination of Op Codes that best describes the operations performed.

Hard to believe that a Car Manufacturer fixes Brake components. Usually they are not covered for very long after the Sale.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

Wonderful, huh? I have 40K miles and less than 5 months left on my wty.

In my old 2002 IS300, Lexus replaced the brakes on those at 25K due to some minor 'clicking' noise. I guess I have been lucky!

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”