Nissan Rogue Intermittently Wont Start / Turn On / No Power

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
myrogue08

Fist of all, Hi everyone, long time reader first time post.

I have a 2008 AWD Rogue, love it, but recently have been having a intermittent problem where the Rogue does not start as if the battery was dead but an hour later the Rogue turns on no problem.

This has happened three times within two months, this recently happened while at work, had it towed to the dealer, when the Rogue got to the dealer, guess what? it started, they had it for two days, ran diagnostics, played with it, but they could not tell me what was wrong, they stated that everything checked out and they could not duplicate problem.

Has this ever occurred to anyone?

Any suggestion?

Any clue?

This is very frustrating. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ROGUEPLANET
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue se

I would think, problem with wiring in steering column, or its your key getting worn down. Or its the starter itself.
Someone else was asking questions about the starter location in another thread.

read this.

location-of-starter-t563455.html

Honva
Car: 2012 Rogue SL AWD

It happened once to my 2009 a few years back. When I crank, the starter felt fine. Felt like no gas supply. I then turned the key off and back to on position again(just the on position, not to crank it). I could hear that the fuel pump was working. I then repeated the off and on a few times to exercise the pump hoping that would pressurize the fuel line. Then, when I tried to start the car again, it worked.

I just filled up the evening before. I suspect somehow there was air or other impurities in the fuel line. Drove it to the dealer to check afterwards and they couldn't find any problem either. The car runs perfectly after that for the next 2 years until I replace it with a 2012.

Did you use the same gas station when this happened? If yes, you may want to try to switch to another station to see if the problem persists.

ROGUEPLANET

Are you getting any power at all, as if the battery is dead, or do you get console lights?
myrogue08 wrote:Fist of all, Hi everyone, long time reader first time post.

I have a 2008 AWD Rogue, love it, but recently have been having a intermittent problem where the Rogue does not start as if the battery was dead but an hour later the Rogue turns on no problem.

This has happened three times within two months, this recently happened while at work, had it towed to the dealer, when the Rogue got to the dealer, guess what? it started, they had it for two days, ran diagnostics, played with it, but they could not tell me what was wrong, they stated that everything checked out and they could not duplicate problem.

Has this ever occurred to anyone?

Any suggestion?

Any clue?

This is very frustrating. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

myrogue08

RoguePlanet,

When this occurs I am not getting any lights, no sounds, nothing, as though the battery is stone dead

Thanks for the replies

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

have you tried starting it with the key? or remote only?

do you have any aftermarket alarms?

when it wont start, can you turn the headlights on? does the dome light come on?

ROGUEPLANET

myrogue08 wrote:RoguePlanet,

When this occurs I am not getting any lights, no sounds, nothing, as though the battery is stone dead

Thanks for the replies
Autozone will test your battery for free, and even put it on a slow charge overnight at no charge. I would take it out and run it to them, if that doesnt pan out.
I would check the starter.

Iron Clad Lou
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL

its happened to our 2011 twice since we purchased it.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

are you sure your steering wheel isnt in the locked position? that will prevent the car from starting

meitingo
Car: 2008 AWD SL Nissan Rogue

Since you have a 2008 Rogue that means that, if the battery is the original Nissan one, it's simply time for a new one (it's ~ 4 years old). The thing to remember is that a 12 volt battery consists of 6 two volt cells in series. Many times the connection between 2 or more of the cells becomes intermittant and, when that happens, poof, the battery is dead. I wouldn't waste any more time on this, just get a new battery and there is a 90+% probability that that will cure the prpblem. I got a new battery from AutoZone when, after 3+ years of battery life, the engine would only crank slowly, and all the lights would go dim, and I've had no problems at all since then. :)

myrogue08

Thanks for the advice guys,
i have a new battery, purchased it in July, Again, just to recap, this problem happens intermittently, and only last for a couple of hours before the Rogue starts again no problems, when it does not start, there is no lights, no crank, no nothing. Then an hour or so later, voila, Rogue starts as if nothing happened, battery checks out, starter, and alternator all check out, Im starting to think this problem is electrical in nature just dont know how to identify the source, seriously thinking of trading in the Rogue bc I need reliability
But before I do that im gonna take it to a few more places, to get second and third opinions

wish me luck

Thanks

jcircus
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Check your battery cables? sometimes they become loose or coroded and the electrical contact will be intermittent depending on weather, heat, etc. I have replaced many ground cables, because they rust and/or loosen on the end where it is screwed down to the frame of the car.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Even if it's a brand new battery it could have a problem. What battery did you get?

how to check your battery
http://youtu.be/hGMmtcsuLgc

scott9050
Car: 2012 Rogue S
2014 Mustang GT 5.0

jcircus wrote:Check your battery cables? sometimes they become loose or corroded and the electrical contact will be intermittent depending on weather, heat, etc. I have replaced many ground cables, because they rust and/or loosen on the end where it is screwed down to the frame of the car.
I agree with this. The cables on the Rogue are flimsy and if they are loose just a little bit or if there is minor corrosion this problem will happen.

sparkchaser13
Car: 2007 Xterra

We are having the same problem with a 2007 Xterra. For the last two months. Turn the key on, nothing, remove replace , turn on and off, hit the remote two or three times, tap the brake , two or three times, try to move the shifter (auto). Then out of the blue, dash lights will come on, turn the ingnition key and she starts.

Dealerships will eat your lunch, with parts. So , we've cleaned the top of the battery and stopped the voltage drop across the top ofthe battery, we've also started running with lights on , day or night , to prevent the alternator from over charging the battery and keeping the starter wires and starter hot. This fix worked until yesterday. Yesterday evening, had a no start, until it finally decided to work,.. then this morning same thing.

It was two degrees this morning, however when the lights finally came on , she spun like a new one.

Im guessing here: It acts a lot like the ignition modules did on the fords in the mid 80s. It also seems to be related to the neutral saftey switch, brake peddle, gear selector, sterring wheel, maybe even tied to the tilt function. Like I said Im guessing here.

Hoping someone has already dealt with this problem and can point in some positive direction.

Thanks.

PATTIC
Car: 2011 Nissan ROGUE

I have a 2011 Nissan Rogue with 27000 miles. Within the first 2 months I started noticing little weird things in the car. My uto heads lights would not shut off after hitting daylight, the electronic driver seat would sporadically shift when starting the engine, the ipod would turn on when the engine would turn on, with the audio of the rad io turned off. I went to Nissan a few times and yes, they could not duplicate so they returned the car,
About 2 months after I had the car, I went to start it after visiting relatives in NJ. Had to call AAA to jump start the car. No power no lights. Could not image why it just died. The following day went to Nissan and complained. They tested the battery said it was fine and sent me on my merry way. The other issues continued for the next two years and I kept going back. Could not duplicate, Then on 12/13/12, it got really crazy. While the car was running, the dashboard indicators reset themselves to factory setting right in front of my eyes. I went to open my trunk to put luggage in it with the engine running, the trunk would not open. I had to shut the engine off in order to open the trunk. Then on 12/14/13 naturally while out of state, I went to start the car . The car was unlocked, so went in to start carm, DEAD. Lights on thoughs but could not turn the ignition on thru the smartkey. attempted to lock the car with smartkey, would not lock. had to have the car towed on a Sunday to a dealership about 125 miles away from where we were but 100 mileds from where we lived. The following morning, the car starteds for the dealership. They kept the cars 3 days and each day it started fine. Finally Nissan factory said change the battery as it was too small (it was the Nissan installed battery). they changed it to a 700 amp rather than the standard 47 amp that came with the car. Drove to Connecticut to pick up the car, drove it home on 12/23/12. Started fine. On Christmas Day, drive 50 miles for family celebration, and when I went to start to come home, esact as what occured on 12/134/. try getting a tow on Christmas night. Had to borrow a car to come home, divbe back in the morning, get a tow truck and tow it back to Nissan (my normal Nissan dealer). The car has been there since 12/26/12. it is now 1/17/13 and the car is still there. Nissan Consumer affairs fror Long Island region has been working with us and the dealer. They haved given me a loaner car for all these days. They were able to duplicate the issue oncde since this time. It seems like to computer "goes into a sleep mode" and sporadically does not wake up, therefore no starting. The dealership has ordered a new Engine and Body Control module and will havde it installed tomorrow.
I will say that Nissan Cosumer Affairs and Nissan of Huntiongton has been working long and hard on this issue and hopefully this will be fixed. I am very skeptical and am not sure I want to keep the car as I will always wonder but at least they are trying. Will keep all informed when I get it back. Obviously, I see now, I am not alone. I thought I was the only one with these issues and that I was gouing crazy, but i guess if I am going cray so are alot of other Rogue owners based on what I am reading,.

zengshengliu
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

I had similar problems with my 08 rogue. Car wouldn't start at random. After 3 or 4 trips to dealer, they finally find that its the IPDM problem. It randomly cutoff power to fuel pump so the car wouldn't start. I had it replaced at my cost(not cover) along with the fuel pump(covered) and problem gone.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Been having an issue like this recently. Seems to happen when it's colder than 30 degrees F. I turn the ignition and everything lights up on the dash, but it doesn't start. Turn it back to off and then turn the ignition again and it starts, has happened about 3 times in the past month. I never use the key

robmil72
Car: 2008 rogue

a few days ago it was 10 degrees. drove about 20 minutes. in store about 20 minutes. turned key to start. NOTHING. no dome, dash,radio lights at all. battery two months old. battery cables looked good any were tight. tried to start again. NOTHING. would not crank. 10 minutes later an employee came out to give me a jump. the car started on its own. dash clock reset to 1200, radio presets gone. no alternator or check battery lights present at startup. the only devise that worked the entire time was my key fob would open and lock the doors. 08 rogue . 58k miles. any ideas?????????? i will check negative battery connection to frame when weather permits.

rickrogue
Car: 2011 nissan rouge

robmil72 wrote:. no alternator or check battery lights present at startup. the only devise that worked the entire time was my key fob would open and lock the doors. 08 rogue . 58k miles. any ideas?????????? i will check negative battery connection to frame when weather permits.
A "lose ground connection" possible, Check all ground connection not just negative battery connection and make sure your charging rate is between 13.5 to 14.5 VDC.

If you have test light handy, connect it to battery negative and probe to engine block and crank it. if it does light up you have short to ground and you will have intermittent no start

Mike_t
Car: 2011 Rogue SV

It might be a little late, but i decided to register and explain the exact same problem my sister had on her 2011 rogue, with about 40K on it and had it since brand new, never issues with it.
She told me her car woul not start as if the battery is dead, no lights, no alarm, no remote, no dash lights, nothing. It happened 3-4 times in one day. but the car started once she popped the hood and closed it. So I asked her to stop in so i could take a quick look and i discovered a simple thing - lose negative terminal on the battery. Tightened it and has been fine ever since. If any of you guys had to disconnect the terminal for one reason or another this might be your cause.
i hope this helps others who google problems and might land into this thread. This was our problem. Thanks and good luck to all

bovoril
Car: 2013Nissan Rogue

I have a 2013 Rogue. same thing has occurred. As if the battery had been taken out. Nothing...no lights no dashlights and no power to starter. Ignition key turned so chip was recognised. 30 minutes later all is good.

This in -35 degrees celcius. Block Heater was plugged in for eight hours prior to problem.

Also have had mad flashing of all dashlights, flashing at random for several minutes in cold weather. Then all preference settings appear to be reset to default settings.

This is very worrisome when the nearest tow company is an hour away.

Another problem I have found is the Rogue randomly locks up all the doors. e.g. I come to a stop, put it in park, leave the engine running and open the door and get out. close the door. check the tires as it is saying tire pressure warning, try to open the drivers door to find it now locked with the keys inside!! Also all other doors are now locked. This occurs maybe once a week so got a key cut to keep in my wallet.

hsingh2088
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

How's it going. I have an Infiniti M35 V6 and I am facing similar issues.

When I hit the push to start button, the car's electricity engages for about 5 seconds and then goes completely dead. I have to hit the remote, slam the door and do some voodoo magic, and eventually the lights come back on and I can start the car.

I took it to an auto-electric shop today and the owner told me that it is most likely the BCM.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Did swapping the BCM and re-programming the BCM work?

bovoril

I had the same problem. No lights, dashlights, no power of any type as if the battery disconnected. 30 minutes later everything ran normal. I had started it 1/2 hour earlier for 5 minutes while I moved it to clear snow. At that time it started normally.

I think it may have powered out as part of a safety step/system? It did this last winter twice under similar conditions. Short run time and shut off. Then tried to restart it to have no power at all. 30 minutes later it ran and started normally. Maybe it has to do with running it for a short time without letting it warm up causing the shut down? temperatures were -20 celcius (-4 F.) Also, one time after a short run time, it would not rev over 1700 rpm. I asked the dealership and they didn't acknowledge any similar problems with their line of 2013 Rogues. I never had a similar result in 'summer" temperatures.

I will not be shutting it off without letting it run for 5 minutes or so to warm it up in future.

bovoril

This time it wouldn't start I found error code 2101.
"Possible causes - Faulty Electric Throttle Control (ETC) Actuator - Electric Throttle Control (ETC) Actuator harness is open or shorted - Electric Throttle Control (ETC) Actuator circuit poor electrical connection "

Waiting for response from dealership as warranty should cover this?

bovoril

Turns out it was the ECM board. Cold weather conditions sometimes prevented it from "waking up" thus no power or lights on occasion and no engine start. Replacement of ECM as new one apparently has a fix for this cold weather problem. This is extreme cold weahter conditions where the intermittent problem showed e.g. -25 or colder.

echris72
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue

So, hear is my dilemma. I bought a 2009 rogue for my daughter and it was running fine for 2 weeks. She came to a stopsign and it died. When she tried to start it the battery acted like it was dead. I pulled the battery (big mistake, cleared whatever code might have been stored) and took it home to charge it. I was surprised to see it still had a 70% charge. I charged it to 100% and replaced it in the vehicle. It cranked once or twice then nothing. I pulled it home and checked all the connections. Pulled the starter and alternator and both tested fine. Battery is new also and all connecfions are clean. I was at a loss so I had it towed to a mechanic where it has sat for 2 weeks and they think it's part of the security system. Called nissan and they said it has nothing to do with the security system if the vehicle was running. It has ti be an electrical problem and I should to it to them. Other then the vihical acting like the battery is dead or making a high pitched tone when you try to start it everything else works fine. Headlights, blinkers, radio, windows, doorlocks, ect. I'm at a loss and don't know where to start next. Any ideas?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

echris72 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:53 am
So, hear is my dilemma. I bought a 2009 rogue for my daughter and it was running fine for 2 weeks. She came to a stopsign and it died. When she tried to start it the battery acted like it was dead. I pulled the battery (big mistake, cleared whatever code might have been stored) and took it home to charge it. I was surprised to see it still had a 70% charge. I charged it to 100% and replaced it in the vehicle. It cranked once or twice then nothing. I pulled it home and checked all the connections. Pulled the starter and alternator and both tested fine. Battery is new also and all connecfions are clean. I was at a loss so I had it towed to a mechanic where it has sat for 2 weeks and they think it's part of the security system. Called nissan and they said it has nothing to do with the security system if the vehicle was running. It has ti be an electrical problem and I should to it to them. Other then the vihical acting like the battery is dead or making a high pitched tone when you try to start it everything else works fine. Headlights, blinkers, radio, windows, doorlocks, ect. I'm at a loss and don't know where to start next. Any ideas?
Read the two posts directly preceding yours.

Return to “Rogue Forum”