location of starter

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
tjones2598
Car: 2009 Rogue

Where is the starter located on a 2009 Rogue AWD ? I'm having trouble locating it, probably because I can't crawl under it.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

welcome to NICO.

not to sound like a pessimist, if you cant crawl under your car, whats the use of even inquiring? (could you please post up more info?)
the starter is always located by the flywheel.

if anything, hope this helps

tjones2598

The main issue is that on 3 occasions the car would not turnover. Starter would not crank. The first time this happened, it would not start for 2 days (even with a jump) then all of a sudden it would start. Took the car to the dealer and they could find nothing wrong,The 2nd time this happen we had the car towed. After taking the car off the tow truck, it started fine. This time, it is sitting in a parking lot. I have traced the start circuit and have determined that the starter relay is operating and sending power out to the starter solenoid. I was hoping to know the general location of the starter so that I could possibly examine the connectors going to it. My assumption is that I have a poor connection somewhere.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

tapping the starter helps, when it wont start. sometimes a stuck starter is the reason.

let me ask you, has anyone ever tried to start the car, while it was running? with cars getting quieter now a days its happening more & more.

tjones2598

As far as I know, no one has tried to start it while it is running.

I would like to be able to tap on the starter, if I can get to it.

jcircus
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Rogue/2009/STR.pdf
Page 6 of the repair manual has a pic of the location...

tjones2598

If you turn the wheel all the way to the left you can see the starter by looking up through the right wheel well. Tapping on the starter got the car going again.

I got the starter out, it works everytime I test it.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

ImStricken wrote:tapping the starter helps, when it wont start. sometimes a stuck starter is the reason.
tjones2598 wrote:Tapping on the starter got the car going again.
I TOLD YA!!! lololol that silly tip works almost EVERY time lololol

jcircus
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

That also works for fuel pumps lol. Just beat on the tank with a rubber mallet, and 90% of the time the pump will start working again... i would replace or rebuild the starter, but that's just my opinion..

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

If it was me, considering all the diagnostic work you've done, I'd assume the starter is the likely culprit and replace it. It's better than being nervous every time you go to start your car that it may leave you stranded, and better than having the service techs charge you for troubleshooting time and then telling you "can't find the problem, everything checks out fine". That's just me, you may want to let it slide for a while longer and if it acts up again be sure you have something on hand to tap the starter with, but that will only work for so long until the starter completely fails and will get to be a pain real soon. There is always a chance the new part will not solve the problem, but reading everything you've told us about your experiences it sounds pretty certain that the starter is the problem - a pretty safe bet anyway.....good luck!

tjones2598

Thanks for the help. I ordered a used starter on ebay. It arrived today and I will I'll install soon. All cables going to the starter have been checked with ohmmeter. Wifey wil not drive the Rogue until starter is replaced and a couple of weeks with no starting problems.

mpattdu
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

So what's my next step if tapping on the starter doesn't work? My Rogue is curretly sitting in the garage and won't start. Battery is good and headlight stay bright when I try and start. When I try to start it just clicks. No codes according to my reader. Thanks!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

mpattdu wrote:So what's my next step if tapping on the starter doesn't work? My Rogue is curretly sitting in the garage and won't start. Battery is good and headlight stay bright when I try and start. When I try to start it just clicks. No codes according to my reader. Thanks!
did you try jump starting it?

mpattdu
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

Yes, that did it, thanks! It took two tries. My booster vehicle is an econobox with a battery older than my Rogue's so I think I just didn't leave it on long enough the first time. My multimeter showed just a hair under 12V so it must have just been low enough not to be able to start.

Return to “Rogue Forum”