Daytime running lights

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Wdonovan
Car: 2011 M37X

Where are these lights located? Are these in between the headlights and the directionals? If so, how do you make these operational? I have a US model so they only have a very low wattage bulb.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome to NICO!

This is from the owner's manual, Section 2-35 page 106.
Daytime running light system
(Canada only)

The daytime running lights automatically illuminate when the engine is started with the parking brake released. The daytime running lights operate with the headlight switch in the OFF position or in the marker lights position. Turn the headlight switch to the ON position for full illumination when driving at night.

If the parking brake is applied before the engine is started, the daytime running lights do not illuminate. The daytime running lights illuminate once the parking brake is released. The daytime running lights will remain on until the ignition switch is pushed to the OFF position.
Index of /FSM/M/2011
Links to download (PDF) OWNER'S & QRG MANUALS.
2011 Infiniti M Owner's Manual
2011 Infiniti M Quick Reference Guide

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

You might find this helpful as well. It's from the M35/M45 Forum Daytime running lights (DRLs)

Wdonovan

Thanks for the info. Still don't know what the light is between the hi/lo headlight and the turn signal. I'd post a picture but can't upload one. Is this just a marker light? Just has a little 5w bulb in it now.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

Wdonovan wrote:Thanks for the info. Still don't know what the light is between the hi/lo headlight and the turn signal. I'd post a picture but can't upload one. Is this just a marker light? Just has a little 5w bulb in it now.

2. Front turn signal lamp
3. Parking lamp
4. Front fog lamp
5. Headlamp
6. Front side marker lamp
A. Headlight housing/unit

Based on the user manual I understand the Parking Lamp as being used for the driving light in Canada and probably other non-US market models.

Wdonovan

Ah! OK. So they're parking lamps. Possibly used as driving lights in Canada. So the next questions is...how to convert them to real driving lights? Like the ones on the Canadian models. The previously supplied links don't give much info.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Unlike other countries, The US does not require DRLs on every car - probably due to effective lobbying from auto makers who don't want the added expense, but US car makers site a study that suggests DRLs do not reduce accidents and therefore are not needed for safety. I reckon on the non-US models, they made a specific circuit that sends power to the parking lamp when the engine is on. I don't recommend you do that because there is no way of knowing what else had to be re-engineered in the models with DRLs and you don't want to cause electrical or computer trouble on your car. The best thing to do is install your own DRLs that do not use or depend on any existing wiring or programming on the vehicle.
I recommend Phillips Daylight-8 DRLs. They use luxeon LEDs that are super bright and it's a super easy install separate from any other wiring on your car. I had them on my 07 and also have them on my 09. Never any trouble with them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-LED-Day ... 6b&vxp=mtr
They come with a wire that can be tapped into the parking lamp that makes the DRLs dim when headlights are on, but I didn't use it. I also didn't use the mounting bracket - I used 20lb test 3M tape from Home Depot. Here is a You Tube install video:
https://youtu.be/5PrlO0jfwl0
That pic doesn't show how noticeable they are if you are actually driving towards me from the opposite direction.. The camera gets blinded by them if a pic is taken full-on so I had to take it at a slight angle but even at high noon, my car is VERY visible to approaching vehicles. I and others have made DIYs for this and you can do a search under "DRL" to see them. I think my DIY is in the M35/M45 section in the FAQ.

Debonair

Wdonovan wrote:Ah! OK. So they're parking lamps. Possibly used as driving lights in Canada. So the next questions is...how to convert them to real driving lights? Like the ones on the Canadian models. The previously supplied links don't give much info.
On the US models they are wired directly to the BCM so the difference in US vs Canada functionality is almost certainly software only. I doubt this can be easily changed since it likely requires a Canada specific BCM flash.

Your choices then are to install a separate set of DRL lights or hijack the parking bulbs using a dedicated DRL module like THIS or THIS. I would go with the module since it would remain stock looking. And because I like tinkering with stuff. :biggrin:

If you can find a second socket that fits the factory parking light opening on the headlight you could just unplug the factory one and install the DRL one. Then no wires would need to be cut. Just an idea, hope it makes sense. :crazy: I actually like this idea and might do it my self.

Debonair

Just a note on my second socket idea - It will NOT work unless the second socket is an OE replacement. The parking lights use an extra long proprietary socket that allows the bulb to sit inside the reflector bowl. Bummer. :frown:

As far as I can find this socket is part of the complete headlight harness which appears to not be available for purchase.

Extra long OE 194 socket
Picture credit goes to DHCrocks of Fresh Alloy

Standard 194 socket

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Maybe something like this might work: http://led2del.com/html_products/T10-W5 ... e-111.html

Or this: http://led2del.com/html_products/LED-T1 ... le-59.html

They are slightly more extended and T10 seems to come up when you search for 194...

Debonair

I found THESE which seem like an exact match. I just don't want to buy 1000 of them right now direct from China. :chuckle:

I'll try to find them in a smaller quantity. If not I'll just cut into the factory wiring, it's nothing my soldering skills can't undo. :cool:

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Curious to see how it looks. I drive with my HID's and fogs on 24/7 because we lack a true DRL...if yours comes out good I may change it up.

Debonair

My original idea and suggestion was for Wdonobvan but I liked it so much I will be doing it with an extra twist. Modules are already on the way. Bulbs getting ordered today. Project thread to come.

I think you will like it. :yesnod

Debonair

Larz wrote:I recommend Phillips Daylight-8 DRLs. They use luxeon LEDs that are super bright and it's a super easy install separate from any other wiring on your car. I had them on my 07 and also have them on my 09. Never any trouble with them.
Did you have to locate a ACC or key-on 12v connection under the hood for these? Looking to save my self a little time hunting for one if you already know where it is. :biggrin:

Debonair

Debonair wrote:
Larz wrote:I recommend Phillips Daylight-8 DRLs. They use luxeon LEDs that are super bright and it's a super easy install separate from any other wiring on your car. I had them on my 07 and also have them on my 09. Never any trouble with them.
Did you have to locate a ACC or key-on 12v connection under the hood for these? Looking to save my self a little time hunting for one if you already know where it is. :biggrin:
I did some more reading and found the answers to my own questions. The Phillips auto-sense the engine running and not running so they do not need a ACC connection point. And other people have not been able to find an ACC power hook up under the hood. I'll look a little bit more and then run a wire from the cabin.

tlaspec
Car: M56x

I have a 2011 canadian m56. The daytime running lights are basically the low beam headlights without the interior dash illuminated. The taillights also comes on as part of the drl. The auto setting for my headlight switch basically only controls the interior dash illumination. The low beams are always on with the engine running.

The parking light betweeen the hid light and the turn signal is the same low wattage light as the us models.

The 2015 q70 have dedicated led drl lights.

Debonair

tlaspec wrote:I have a 2011 canadian m56. The daytime running lights are basically the low beam headlights without the interior dash illuminated. The taillights also comes on as part of the drl. The auto setting for my headlight switch basically only controls the interior dash illumination. The low beams are always on with the engine running.

The parking light betweeen the hid light and the turn signal is the same low wattage light as the us models.

The 2015 q70 have dedicated led drl lights.
Good to know. At least is full power HID, not reduced voltage halogen like my previous car. That yellowish dim DRL light was ugly.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”