CVT Fluid drain & Fill Just Once by Dealerships

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
will41
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue SV

I got a quote from the Nissan dealership to drain and fill my 2017 Rogue for $220 which I thought wasn't too bad since they sell the CVT fluid for $28 and it is around $20 on ebay. However, they all mentioned that they only drain and fill once. According to the manual that I have, it is supposed to be done twice. Another Nissan dealership that replaced my radio and battery told me that they don't do transmission fluid changes on any cars with CVT transmissions since they sometimes need replaced the next day. I figured there had to be a catch since it was pretty reasonable. If it takes around 3 1/2 quarts per drain and fill, I would probably order 8 to be safe. So, the cost would be around $150 if I did it myself.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

Check middle of page 3 on this thread if you haven't already stumbled across it.

cvt-fluid-change-t468197-60.html

I just did drain and fill on my wife's CVT last fall. We have put 5,000 trouble free miles since this service. No question that I will be doing the exact same process again when the mileage is high enough to warrant another drain & fill. Since I only did the one drain, not two, there is still a bit of original CVT fluid remaining so I will most likely do this again in about 2 years from now. Then just repeat it every 3 years.
I think the "Change it every 3 years" motto is great advice for anyone who is DIY-ing it. If you are paying a dealer or mechanic several hundred $$ each time, then maybe not.

will41

Thanks for getting back to me! You mentioned that you used Castrol Transmax CVT. Several people have stated that they were afraid to use any aftermarket CVT since they feel this will void the warranty. I am trying to decide between Nissan NS-3, Castrol, or Amsoil. Nissan NS-3 is by far the most expensive.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

If you're vehicle is still covered by the manufacturers warranty, it's in your best interest to use ONLY the Nissan fluid. IF there's a problem afterwards and you didn't use the OEM fluid, they can fault the aftermarket fluid and refuse to honor your warranty. It's better to hedge your bets, so you need to ask yourself which is cheaper, paying for the OEM fluid or paying for repairing/replacing the CVT?

If you're out of warranty, then I'd opt for Amsoil myself (just a personal preference). Amsoil has a proven track record and has been use by other members with no issues, as far as I can recall.

will41

Rogue One, that is what a lot of people think. However, they can't void the warranty if you use the equivalent NS-3 CVT fluid. However, they could try and it is probably not worth the legal hassle. My step dad told me to just let the dealership do everything so the warranty will not be voided. He used to work at a Lincoln dealership. I am leaning toward just buying the OEM fluid although I think most OEM fluid is inferior and overpriced. Also, I am not happy that the Nissan dealership only drains the fluid once. According to the owners manual, it should be done twice.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Hell, I would change my cvt fluid once a year if it’s a Jatco transmission.

I would rather have long oci for motor oil and change cvt fluid more frequently.

Most transmissions fail before engine oil related failure.

I really try do 25,000 mile oil changes but usually do it at 15,000-19,000 cuz I’m bored and get the itch to do an oil change.

But I’m more concerned with my Transmission than the motor engine. :inout:

If you’re doing 3,000 mile oil changes or whatever.

I rather waste money on cvt fluid than motor oil.

Since we all know Nissan cvts like to implode.

While the engine only implodes if your drain plug falls out and you drive with no oil i presume. :inout:

will41

This will be the first time changing the CVT at 60k. I think I am going to start doing it once per year at 30K. We have had an Altima and a Quest that lasted to 100k with no problems at all with no CVT fluid change. But, they were company cars which seem to rarely break. :chuckle: I used to get all my cars transmissions changed once a year when I had a friend that owned a transmission shop. He didn't charge much and we got to hang out and BS. Now, I usually get it done at 60k with standard auto trans (non CVTs).

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I changed my Fluid at 58k and at 92k on my 2016. Well, it got a CoD now so it no longer exists. But I would recommend doing the fluid change at every 30k miles since this is a sealed transmission, and its not a great transmission to not change its fluid. However, the Nissan dealer that I took it to did a flush, not a drain and fill, twice, for ~$200.

will41

The Nissan dealership that I went to charge $230 and it is called a flush. But, they assured me it was not a flush. I am going to just suck it up and order the Nissan NS-3 and do it myself. I think the hardest part will be getting the car level and getting the fake dipstick off. They wanted to charge around $150 for an air and cabin filter.The prices are crazy. The best price that I found for the NS-3 was $18 a quart delivered. I would prefer to use the Amsoil since it much cheaper and as good if not better.

relho
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV

:gotme I have a 2016 Rogue with only 28,000 miles. I did not know you could change the CVT.

casperfun

relho wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:25 pm
:gotme I have a 2016 Rogue with only 28,000 miles. I did not know you could change the CVT.
You know Obama is no longer president and that guy from the apprentice is now president right? :poke:

relho

casperfun,

Thanks for the reply. So that's why everything is going to hell.

nabril
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

casperfun wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:58 pm
I really try do 25,000 mile oil changes but usually do it at 15,000-19,000 cuz I’m bored and get the itch to do an oil change
You wait that long to change the oil? Wow, that's pushing it, no? Or is that acceptable? I do it every 5k.

Also, the transmission has a 10 year warranty, right?

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

nabril wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:19 pm
casperfun wrote:

Nissan factory warranty is 5 Yr/60,000 miles for Powertrain components.

Only way to get more years is with an extended warranty. Some of those are 8 years, others are 10. Depends what level of coverage was purchased.

casperfun

nabril wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:19 pm
casperfun wrote:
I really try do 25,000 mile oil changes but usually do it at 15,000-19,000 cuz I’m bored and get the itch to do an oil change
You wait that long to change the oil? Wow, that's pushing it, no? Or is that acceptable? I do it every 5k.

Back in the day, my 1990 maxima was leaking oil, so I took it to the dealership to fix and then a couple days later it looked like my transmission was leaking but the dealer said it was motor oil when I HAD them fix that very problem!

Well the transmission went to $hit right there.

So I’m more worried about the crappy jatco cvt transmission then oil related failures.

I use Amsoil signature series 5w-30 throughout. Ow-30 once & 5w-20 mixed in once also. And penzoil plantinum ultra as my very first oil change.

Moreover, I did drain and filled my transmission 4 times in a 2 month period and once last year in the fall.

5 cvt oil changes in a 3 yr period on these oil changes in which I rather place my priority on; which is the Nissan NS-2 Cvt fluid changes. :inoutgay:

nabril

Thank you Lone Wolff and Casper
I'm getting ready to prepare for my first cvt oil change, and I've read most threads. They mention to either flush and fill once or twice.
Let's say that I buy 6 quarts. Couldn't I flush and fill 3 in the first time, and the other 3 in the second?
I'm picturing draining into something that marks the 3 quarts and quickly screwing in the plug.
Could it be that simple? Flushing twice would remove more of the old oil, no? Thanks

nabril

In addition to my previous post..
I'm at 55k miles and almost 5 years, so maybe I could get the cheaper Castrol cvt liquid, no?

relho

:confused: I have a 2016 Rogue. my manual lists change at 60,000 miles. Are the oil type and mileage different depending on model year?

nabril

relho wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:48 am
:confused: I have a 2016 Rogue. my manual lists change at 60,000 miles. Are the oil type and mileage different depending on model year?
Relho--the manuals mention specific intervals (30, 50, 60, etc for different changes and maintenance steps), but the OP likes to do it sooner. Since doing it yourself is significantly cheaper, the point of us is that we all do them sooner than 60k miles so as to preserve our CVT (in this case). I do motor oil changes at 5k miles simply because I like to; I believe that the recommended interval is 10k, and I've read of people on this forum that let it go for longer. Ultimately it's our choice whether to pamper our cars a little bit, or not.

will41

I was getting the transfer case seal replaced the other day and asked the service manager about draining and filling the transmission fluid. He told me that he has a Rogue and will never change the transmission fluid. He said the last one they did died the next day.

localTradey
Car: 2015 Qashqai 2.0

I remember seeing Jatco promotional video on their new generation CVT. There were 2 things that I remember:
The pump is smaller and the fluid is of low viscosity. I presume low viscosity at 100 degrees means that it will flow easier with smaller pump.
Hence the call for NS-3. This also imply that NS-3 can be used for older CVT that calls only for NS-2.

Valvoline has lowered their viscosity to cater for NS-3. It still says NS-2 on the webpage but product PDF shows NS-2/3 compatibility and lower viscosity at 100 degrees.
https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/ ... sion-fluid

I had the old product pDF from valvoline that shows higher viscosity.
Pay to compare the viscosity of those fluid from Idemitsu and Eneos that is specific for NS-3.

In australia, Valvoline sells LV CVT
https://www.valvoline.com/en-australia/ ... t-lv-fluid
but the spec is very close the the North American Valvoline above.

another product from australian seller
https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/ ... y-full-syn

localTradey
Car: 2015 Qashqai 2.0

I just want comment on NS-3 has "special additives" which dealership and others promoting this.
CVT and engines are metals, whatever additives is used is to change or maintain the physical properties of the fluid. It is not like human beings where Aspirin or paracetamol has different chemical properties. Like thickening beef stew. You can use corn or tapioca or potato starch, it doesn't alter the taste but thicken the stew.

So in summary NS-3 and Valvoline or Castrol or Amsoil has different additives but the important aspect is the physical properties of the fluid and these additives ensure that the fluid maintain the physical properties (more slippery or more friction etc) longer in the operating temperature that is intended.

plhoff
Car: 2017 Rogue S AWD

'17 S AWD. 2 OEM fluids that I use exclusively. Radiator and CVT. Radiator might be overkill but not CVT. Did my first drain and fill of the CVT recently and noticed the fluid coming out was red. Replaced with NS-3 (blue).

Return to “Rogue Forum”