Common reasons for the G37 convertible top not to work

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

There's an ITB for the issue, your dealer should fix the issue under warranty

JoanneM
Car: Infiniti G37 Convertible

Thanks cmesurf. Sorry, what's an ITB?? Thanks

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

cmesurf wrote:There's an ITB for the issue, your dealer should fix the issue under warranty
ITB is Infiniti Technical Bulletin.

Aldowaker
Car: 2009 G37 Convertable

I just purchased a 2009 g37 vert with 66k. Paid $20k. Got the car inspected by infinity - all good except for loose headliner in the back that I can fix once I figure out the mechanics of that string mechanism. Seriously considering an infinity elite protection plan for $2500 that covers car for 48mos/48k miles. I don't mind spending the money, but the again I don't want to spend it needlessly. Main reason to buy is to insurance against retractable top, navi, and tranny. I can easily put the 2500 in a savings account and use it for repairs. But really concerned about diagnostic time, etc. plan to keep car for the long haul cuz it's such a blast to drive. Any thoughts?

Aldowaker
Car: 2009 G37 Convertable

I just purchased a 2009 g37 vert with 66k. Paid $20k. Got the car inspected by infinity - all good except for loose headliner in the back that I can fix once I figure out the mechanics of that string mechanism. Seriously considering an infinity elite protection plan for $2500 that covers car for 48mos/48k miles. I don't mind spending the money, but the again I don't want to spend it needlessly. Main reason to buy is to insurance against retractable top, navi, and tranny. I can easily put the 2500 in a savings account and use it for repairs. But really concerned about diagnostic time, etc. plan to keep car for the long haul cuz it's such a blast to drive. Any thoughts?

doughboy2m
Car: 2009 g37

We have a 2009 g37. Not only did the top fail to go down, it blew out the back window and twisted all the pieces around. There was nothing in the trunk but a blanket that's always been there. Went to put it down and boom, crash, clank, pow. Now the dealer wants twenty thousand... twenty thousand dollars to fix it. They, and the insurance people are being than helpfull in this situation. I know there are several security measures in place to keep this sort of thing from happening, but still it happened. What do we do? If they get their way in this we're just going to be out of a car. They'll total it, give us less than we paid for it and not enough for one of equal value

Lono

doughboy2m - - Whatever happened?

Also, I'd like to resurrect this thread. I'm thinking of buying a used 2010 G37s convertible with under 50,000 miles but the dealer called me and said the top wasn't working and he sent it out for repair . . . After reading the horror stories with the poor customer service from the Infiniti dealers I'm thinking of staying as far away as possible from ANY Infiniti, but I do like this car. Any thoughts? :ohno:

bernie526
Car: 2011 G37 Convertible, Malbec Black

I have a 2011 G37 convertible with an "Infiniti Elite Protection" extended warranty. About two years into ownership, I tried to open the top, but unknown to me there was a box in the trunk. I ended up with two dings on the roof, one on each side. OK, my fault, no big deal, and the top worked fine. About two years ago, I tried to open the top but something in the trunk caused the paddle to break off. Dealer wanted $900 to fix it, but I declined. This past summer, the top stopped working while opening and was stuck in an upright position. Turning the car off and on several times had no effect, and I could hear a motor or something that was trying to work but couldn't. Also, the other paddle would not stay connected to its support. We finally got the top to close after my husband jiggled it a bit.

According to my warranty, I think the repair should be covered. Dealer says no, and accuses me of causing the problem. I take responsibility for breaking the first paddle, but I had nothing to do with the second paddle not staying put or the top not working. We offered to pay for the paddles, and the warranty would cover the rest. The warranty has a list of all the parts of the top/trunk that are covered: switch assembly and control unit for the folding roof, linkage P shelf and motor P shelf, latch subframe, centering hinge, switch sensor, striker latch subframe, linkage assembly for the folding roof, rear latch assembly, cylinders (for the main drive, trunk lid, latch, spring clip trunk lid, and different hoses), casin hydraulic pump, latch assembly, hydraulic pump, lock assembly for the folding roof, bowden cable, and tube drain. From this list, would you surmise that the problem should be covered? Two dealers (in collusion) have refused to pay for the repair, which, by the way is $2,900 plus labor ($130/hour). I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thank you!

bernie526
Car: 2011 G37 Convertible, Malbec Black

This is in reply to Lono.

Despite the problem with my top described in the post above, I LOVE my Infiniti! It's fast and reliable (except for the top!). It has a distinctive sound that turns heads when you accelerate, and it's a blast to drive with the top down. However, If Infiniti won't back its product or its warranty, my next car will be an Audi convertible, which I had before the Infiniti.

I just saw that your post was in August. What did you decide? Did you get the Infiniti? Or something else? I'd really like to know.

Cojones
Car: 14 Q 60S Convertible
09 G37 Sedan
92 Nissan Pickup
07 Pathfinder

My 2014 Q60 vert will not open the top nor any window other than the drivers window. I think maybe it could be a bad window lock switch but was hoping for confirmation. The windows still drop slightly when the doors open but will not work from the door switches.

Question: Could a bad window lock cause the top inoperable due to the fact it cannot get them to go down? When I push the top down button I don’t get any noise or response. Dealer wants $500 and I will first try swapping out the window lock switch myself. If anyone else has had a similar issue I would love the assistance.

cerniuk
Car: Infiniti G37 Convertible

It is 2021 and I have had my 2012 almost 10 years with in reality no issues. Unfortunately the first issue is a big one, the convertible top is stuck half open (deck is vertical, trunk is rocked back with wings up, top lids are folded in trunk)

Nothing will move when the top open and close rocker is pressed… the car just beeps and indicates that the truck is open. I’m presuming the error it believes is that I am trying to open my hood while the trunk mechanism is opened as if I had opened the trunk to put something in.

Anyway, I’m stuck. I can’t have it towed to the dealer because the wind will catch in the wings and bend the trunk armature. For the same reason I can’t drive it in. My car has been in the garage for a couple of weeks now this way. Any help appreciated.

There is a video showing someone using Infiniti Consult to manually manipulate the top but at $1300, it’s not what I would want to approach first… and the risk of it not working. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UgQfqoM8rE. The other alternative is to take everything apart and lower parts manually: https://is.gd/AMv37g (like working on a Transformer robot)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

cerniuk wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:57 pm
Nothing will move when the top open and close rocker is pressed… the car just beeps and indicates that the truck is open. I’m presuming the error it believes is that I am trying to open my hood while the trunk mechanism is opened as if I had opened the trunk to put something in.
If it's like the Z's and Muranos, there will be a pair of "emergency closure cables" someplace in the trunk. They'll be small steel cables with a pull tab on the end. On Z's they're underneath a plastic cover held by a couple of push clips. Note that if your G has a pull-out leather cargo cover in the trunk like a Murano, that cover has a switch that will prevent the roof from working if the cover is out of the slots. That does cause a "trunk open" lamp, so it might be your problem.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”