Common reasons for the G37 convertible top not to work

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

There are a number of preconditions that need to be met before the Retractable Hard Top (RHT) will operate.

-Ignition must be ON with or without the engine running-Battery voltage must be above 11.2V, if the battery voltage drops operation may halt-Trunk must be closed-Shift position must be in any position other than Reverse-Wheel speed must be <3mph (5kph)-Separator plate (little trunk patrician) must be clicked into place

The display between the gauges (pictures to follow) will give you an indication of a pre-conditioning error with a picture and two consecutive beeps.

The Hydraulic Pump is thermally protected so in the unlikely event that your roof is opened and closed in rapid almost repetitive succession the motor may stop with no warning. It will require almost 20 minutes to return cancel the thermal protection safety lockout.

If for some unforeseen reason that the top fails in a partially open state do not try to force it for two very important reasons. 1 The roof components are extremely heavy and the added resistance of the active hydraulic cylinders make movement near impossible without breaking something. 2 There are potentiometers mounted on all of the major moving components of the roof system. This includes the trunk, in both directions, the roof in a few places. Any variance in the sensor readings will cause the top to stop. The triggering software is very sensitive to prevent any further damage. The RHT Control Unit knows where every part of the system is at all time and if not it will not work. For the devices that do not have sensitive potentiometers contact switches are used.

The system is not fragile and is capable of moving heavy components through a 42 step process in <30 seconds. Some care should be taken when operating the top, the moving parts will not stop for fingers and damage may result from mishandling any of the components while the system is unlocked and in operation.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Wow, surprised they allow it to lower when moving. Wished other Verts were like that.

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

This is how it all comes together.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npg0z3eh3p4

sean@z1
Car: 1993 240sx

good information to know thanks for posting it

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

The trunk - it is gone. LOL

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Poyzinous wrote:This is how it all comes together.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npg0z3eh3p4
Geez...t looks like so much could go wrong.

I felt like I was watching a Transformer transform...literally..lol

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

Lol I didn't think you were actually recording that. Why is it everytime I don't think your taking a video of something I see it later that day on youtube.

It may not be as fast as the Lexus but it really is an amazing thing to watch. Especially if you walk up and open the top with the drivers door request switch. The system is extremely well engineered and although a little sensitive I think there should not be any sificant issues. I really hope there are no issue, part of there great engineering was using KarmanGhia to design and amazingly complex headliner, and about a hundred pinch points throughout the entire mechanism.

Overall this has to be one of best designed setups I have seen in my casual observations.

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

I am photo/video One of these days you'll see yourself on the caption contest pic...

drivefast
Car: G37S convertible

i used to put my notebook in the "trunk" (notebook is a 13", in a bag slightly larger). when opening or closing the top, the two flaps attached to the trunk lid, that when folded are in the middle, and when extended come to the sides, would more often than not get stopped by the notebook bag. (grrr.) this would stop the roof operation in a mid-opened position. i used to carefully make way for the flaps (by taking my notebook out of there), but then i had to stop and restart the engine to complete the roof open or close operation. as steve recommended in the first post, don't try to force the roof or any of those moving parts - remember to turn the engine off and on, and then try again. (i will replace my notebook with an ipad pretty soon, i'll let you know if that fits :ohno: )

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

Just a note. The ignition does not have to be on. On my 2010 I can open the top from the drivers door black button by holding it in.

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

Fezzik wrote:Just a note. The ignition does not have to be on. On my 2010 I can open the top from the drivers door black button by holding it in.
You can do that on 2009 too but won't advise for the battery's sake:>! :crazy:

millionbuckz
Car: g37s

every time i want to put my top down i have to disconnect the battery first, then when i start the car it would open and close but once i put it back up i cant open it again unless i repeat. can that b the battery itself. sum1 help wit this problem its driving me crazy

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

Hi there and Welcome,

It sure sounds like you have an "active fault" in one of the sensors in your roof control system. I would advise taking it to the dealer before the weather gets too warm and you miss any more time with the top up.

If all you hear is two consecutive beeps and nothing happens that is the system telling the driver something is wrong. There are no warning lights to speak of.

millionbuckz
Car: g37s

i actually brought it in for service today but the dealer did not want to work on it due to it being a salvage car. i bought hit n have fixed it. when i start the car and press the open it doesnt beep at all. once i diconnect the batter n then press it, it will beep once n show open then i have to press it again then itll beep again start the opening process

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

Oh wow that really sucks.....hopefully you got a wicked deal.

Well the dealer is not required to work on anything, although if you are willing to pay they should be willing to fix.

There is no self diagnosis or diy for top system repair. What you have is a system fault but without a code number you will never know which one it is.

G37vert

SteveTheTech wrote:Oh wow that really sucks.....hopefully you got a wicked deal.

Well the dealer is not required to work on anything, although if you are willing to pay they should be willing to fix.

There is no self diagnosis or diy for top system repair. What you have is a system fault but without a code number you will never know which one it is.
Is there any preventative maintenance we can/should do to keep the top in good working order? Every time I watch the top go down I keep thinking "all I need is just one of those little parts to fail and I'll be screwed."

cmesurf

G37vert wrote:
SteveTheTech wrote:Oh wow that really sucks.....hopefully you got a wicked deal.

Is there any preventative maintenance we can/should do to keep the top in good working order? Every time I watch the top go down I keep thinking "all I need is just one of those little parts to fail and I'll be screwed."
I had mine for now over 2 years and the only maintenance on the roof is to clean and lube (dry lube) the seals between panels and apply same dry spray version of dry lube to hinges. That's all -- :dblthumb:

dadsavno
Car: Infiniti G37 Convertible

Looking for ideas on top failure.

My better half's '11 G37 has had several instances of the top failing to operate. It seems to happen on the nice spring days when parked outside for several hours. Push the button and nothing happens. Try to drive, and over 3 mph, the warning tone sounds. Later that night, or the next day, it works ok. I suspect it is a heat related issue, maybe the sensor on the pump? The dealer has plugged it in twice, found no codes, and proclaimed it "fixed." I ask "what is the point of owning a convertible that is dysfunctional in direct sunlight?"

cmesurf

Unfortunate but I am sure there has to be a reason/cause.. Take to another dealer and have then repeat the problem. Hope it will work out sooner than later.

anicholas
Car: Infinity G37 convertible

I have had the same problem where after a few days of not using the top, it will not work. Requires the car to be restarted for the top to go up or down. Twice the dealer told me there was nothing wrong. Then the service manager told me very emphatically there is "NOTHING WRONG with your car" when I called him again. The same day, it did it again...the technician told me he's never seen it before...they have had my car now for a month. Clearly there is something wrong...As soon as I know which parts they replaced, I'll repost on the board.

anicholas

BTW - I have a 2010 G37 -

cmesurf

anicholas wrote:I have had the same problem where after a few days of not using the top, it will not work. Requires the car to be restarted for the top to go up or down. Twice the dealer told me there was nothing wrong. Then the service manager told me very emphatically there is "NOTHING WRONG with your car" when I called him again. The same day, it did it again...the technician told me he's never seen it before...they have had my car now for a month. Clearly there is something wrong...As soon as I know which parts they replaced, I'll repost on the board.
you should check the divider (in the trunk) switch - may be loose.

anicholas

The divider switch was checked the first time I brought it in. They said it was fine. I hope they didn't fly someone in from Infinity for something as easy as that!

anicholas

It's been 4 weeks now. My car is supposed to be ready early next week. They replaced the entire convertible top mechanism. They don't know what exactly was wrong with it. But that was the only option left. I hope this does it.

cmesurf

anicholas wrote:It's been 4 weeks now. My car is supposed to be ready early next week. They replaced the entire convertible top mechanism. They don't know what exactly was wrong with it. But that was the only option left. I hope this does it.
good luck, let us know how all came out :bigthumb:

SusieQ272
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Did anicholas get their car back and find out what the problem was? I have had my 2009 in the shop 4 times now for the top and they can't get it fixed. They finally determined it was the trunk actuator not working properly so they replaced it, two days later the top still wasn't opening. It will roll down all four windows and stop, the only way to get it to open is to turn off the engine and turn it back on. They suggested I sit for 10 minutes after turning on the engine before attempting to open the top. When 5 O'clock hits, the last thing I want to do it sit in the parking lot 10 minutes just so I can open the top.

cmesurf

SusieQ272 wrote:Did anicholas get their car back and find out what the problem was? I have had my 2009 in the shop 4 times now for the top and they can't get it fixed. They finally determined it was the trunk actuator not working properly so they replaced it, two days later the top still wasn't opening. It will roll down all four windows and stop, the only way to get it to open is to turn off the engine and turn it back on. They suggested I sit for 10 minutes after turning on the engine before attempting to open the top. When 5 O'clock hits, the last thing I want to do it sit in the parking lot 10 minutes just so I can open the top.
This is BS, take to another dealer or call Infiniti Consumer Affairs, top should work as soon as the car is started, I have 09 convertible- no issue.

Blue Windez
Car: G37 Convertible

Has anyone else had the problem of the roof sensor indicating the roof is open (when it is not) when the temperature is near and below freezing (<35 degrees F)? This has stumped even the dealer and manufacturer technicians.

cmesurf

I haven't heard the issue but must have to do with roof sensors.

JoanneM
Car: Infiniti G37 Convertible

Hi. We have recently bought a 2010 G37 Convertible so the roof has not had a great deal of use. We were specifically told that nothing should be in the boot of the car when having the hood down. However, when operating the hood at the weekend, it stopped half way (we had nothing in the boot) so turned off the engine and restarted and it then carried on working. It has done this a couple of times now so we took it back to the Infiniti dealer. They have told me that a piece of metal has bent which could have been due to something being on the back parcel shelf of the car, which there was, there was a golf jumper on there when it happened, but this did not get caught in the roof at all. Could something on the parcel shelf cause this as we were only told that nothing should be in the boot of the car? The car has recently been worked on by the dealer as the roof was leaking so they replaced the seals, but they are saying the work on this would not have caused the fault. I'm feeling a bit disillusioned with the car as we have only had it 2 months and already we are having problems.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”