coilovers.

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
G50 Q

midnightsliding wrote:kinda shi*ty queston but do u think i could pull the rear of a Q to tuck a 18X12-3? this is jsut out their found some badass wheels jsut througing it out their. manilny for G50Q and OneTonGrage guy..
Q45 fenders are hard to pull and make them look decent becuase of the differnt angles it has.

Update on coilvoers:

I just installed R32 gts front coilovers on my Q tonight. Fit with very very minor modification. Just thought I'd let you know..

one ton garage

Q45's sheetmetal will break any fender roller you have... trust me on that. Of course, if you take that as an opportunity to improve on the tool, then you can end up with a roller that acutally works way better than before... trust me on that, too. I broke one doing just a flat lip roll on my G50's rear fender (not even pulling it).. so I ended up reaming out and rethreading the pivot pin for a larger, fine pitch thread bolt, and that is prob the only way you will be able to adequately roll/pull a Q's rear fenders. But my last round of fender processing involved graduating to delicate hammer and dolly work to stretch the metal out at a point higher than the roller could reach. either way, you won't be able to get the rears out enough to fit 12", -3mm on the stock fenders... a flare or major fender flip would be necessary. And of course, as G50Q mentioned, you gotta deal with the aesthetics... you don't want to uglify just the rears to fit something, and leave the fronts with the stock, multi-beveled wheelwell lips.. it's sorta like how new 240 folks are pulling the heck out of their rear fenders while leaving the fronts as is, and it looks like *** imo

Rex
Car: None

G50 Q wrote:... I just installed R32 gts front coilovers on my Q tonight. Fit with very very minor modification. Just thought I'd let you know..
Any additional info? Pics even?

G50 Q

Rex wrote:
Any additional info? Pics even?
yea, what do you wanna know/see? I'll post it up.. i just got a new camera

Rex

Well, mainly the fit and the minor adjustement for mounting them. As well as a before and after (if you have) of the change in stance/ride height.

G50 Q

Rex wrote:Well, mainly the fit and the minor adjustement for mounting them. As well as a before and after (if you have) of the change in stance/ride height.
Well, they fit just like the stock shocks would accept they are a little shorter in length. Also, the minor mod is just drilling out the 2 top shock tower mounting holes very slighty. I have a pic of the stock shock beside the HKS coilover.

G50 Q

Here's a picture comparing R33/R32 GTS Front (they are essestially the same) coilovers to R33 GTS rear and R32 GTS rear.

R32 GTS rear on the far left, R33 GTS rear in the middle, and R33/R32 GTS fronts on the far right.

Rex

So no top mount modification required? Are they any "thicker" (Diameter-wise), so that they would effect inside wheel/tire clearance?

And what's a ballpark price on the R32 GTS strut assembly?

This may allow for some lowering without accelerated shock wear ... interesting. Any idea how much shorter they are (comparing both sets off the car)

G50 Q

Rex wrote:So no top mount modification required? Are they any "thicker" (Diameter-wise), so that they would effect inside wheel/tire clearance?

And what's a ballpark price on the R32 GTS strut assembly?

This may allow for some lowering without accelerated shock wear ... interesting. Any idea how much shorter they are (comparing both sets off the car)
Remember I have only installed the fronts at this point, so no I did not modify the upper mount of the actual coilover. I used the HKS R32 "pillow-ball" mount. All that was done was drilling out the shock tower mounting holes slightly.

Have no idea on prices..

I didn't take a measurement for several reasons, but the picture comparing the stock Q45 shock to the R32 coilover is a pretty good idea on the legnth difference.

I also have a picture of stock r33 front suspension beside stock q45 front suspension, if your interested?

G50 Q

Picture of front ride height:

Rex

I appreciate the responses and information, I'm more looking to collect information and as much as I like the "in the weeds" look, I can't justify having only a daily driver like that.

This thread should be a good soruce of information for members looking for suspension options in the future.

Thanks again for all the info.

BTW, I've found R32 GTS coil-overs for $800 - $1600 depending on condition, type/brand and location.

midnightsliding

so what are u runningin the rear G50?

one ton garage

My question is did the bottom eyelet of the skyline front strut bolt right on to the Q's control arm? If so, then it is a better option (sorta) than the same part from a Z32 application, since the Z32 eyelet is a bit smaller, and would require one to swap/press the G50 bushing in its place.

G50 Q

one ton garage wrote:My question is did the bottom eyelet of the skyline front strut bolt right on to the Q's control arm? If so, then it is a better option (sorta) than the same part from a Z32 application, since the Z32 eyelet is a bit smaller, and would require one to swap/press the G50 bushing in its place.
Yea, the bottom mount on the skyline strut slid onto the Q's control arm with no issues. Although you can see in the first pic the sleve on the coilovers was a little rusty so it took a little convincing, nothing too bad. I think if it were a brand new coilover it would fit no problem.

Midnight- I'm still using the stock strut and cut spring in the rear untill i get a new lock and key for the trunk.

RobertsnewQ

BTW - in case you're considering doing this with stock R32/33 struts, don't. Skylines are known for fast strut wear and I'm sure the Q's weight would make it much worse.

I guess I'm a slow learner, but do the REAR R33 or R32 struts work?

Are GT-R struts different?

G50 Q

RobertsnewQ wrote:I guess I'm a slow learner, but do the REAR R33 or R32 struts work?
Yes, they will work, I haven't really figured out which one will work better, but from what i hear you will need to use the q45 top hat on a r32/33 coilover on the rears. I have both r32 and r33 rear coilovers to play with, so it shouldn't be too much longer before i can confidently answer this question.
RobertsnewQ wrote:Are GT-R struts different
G50 Q wrote:and for those who are wondering which model skyline coilovers will and won't bolt up:

R32/33 GTR coilovers will NOT work

R32/33 GTS or GTS-T coilovers will work (as far as bolting up, they are however shorter in length)

midnightsliding

keep us posted. please..lol

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”