Coilover / Lowering Spring Options

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
AlexM.
Car: 2010 2.5 Altima Coupe Super Black

Hey guys,

I wanted to put this together as a go to for those interested in the different types of strut / spring options out there for our cars.

Lowering Springs

Tein (3.5 ONLY)
Drops your car about 2 inches all around

H&R
2.5L: 1.2 inch drop all around
3.5L: 1.5 inch drop in Front and 1.2 inch Rear

Eibach
Lowers fronts 1.4 inches and rears 1 inch

Racingline
Front: -1.6
Rear: -.75

Coilovers

D2
I called D2 and asked if they go lower than BC's and the rep I spoke with said that they go just as low. According to Flores45, D2's do go lower than BC's though (compared side by side). They're true styled coilovers (the rears are also a spring on strut setup) so its not hard to believe as to why they can go lower than BC's.

Megan
If I were to buy coils again, I'd probably go with these or D2. A couple of people have decided to go with these recently and they're pretty happy with them. What really catches my attention is their spring rates of 8kg in the front and 10kg in the rear. I think 7kg all around (standard application) is a little too soft for my liking and I'd love to try something more stiff.

BC
A good and well established brand. Probably one of the more popular choices after Tein. But a lot of people have minor problems with them here and there. Check out this thread: comprehensive-bc-coilover-thread-all-is ... 18-30.html

Tein (3.5 ONLY)
Tein is known for having "good" ride quality compared to BC but they don't go as low.

Street Basis

Sedan:
Strut height difference from OEM Struts: -1.57 Front / -0.98 Rear
Max Front Height: -1.1
Min Front Height: -2.13

Max Rear Height: -0.12
Min Rear Height: -1.81

Coupe:
Struts: -1.57 Front / -1.69 Rear
Max Front Height: -1.06

Max Rear Height: -1.02
Min Rear Height: -2.72

Super Street (NO UPPER PILLOWBALL / CAMBER ADJUSTMENT)

Sedan:
Strut: -1.54 Front / -.98 Rear
Max Front Height: -1.14

Max Rear Height: -.08
Min Rear Height: -1.85

Coupe:
Struts: -1.57 / -1.69 Rear

Max Front Height: -1.18

Max Rear Height: -.79
Min Rear Height: -2.76

Ksport
Ksport seems to be a bit unpopular with our car, at least on these forums. But I've heard a lot of good stuff about them on other car platforms. Not sure exactly but from what I've been able to find they have spring rates of 9kg in the front and 4kg in the rear which seems a little odd.
Last edited by AlexM. on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Flores45
Car: 07 2.5 Sedan

I know for a fact the Megan's don't go the lowest. I know 3 people that have/had them maxed out and still had a two finger gap in the front. They needed to buy the shorter springs from Megan to go lower. The D2s go the lowest, my friend doesn't even have his maxed out in the front and he sits about .25 lower than me and my BCs are maxed out and have a perch removed. Just wanted to clear that up

AlexM.

Flores45 wrote:I know for a fact the Megan's don't go the lowest. I know 3 people that have/had them maxed out and still had a two finger gap in the front. They needed to buy the shorter springs from Megan to go lower. The D2s go the lowest, my friend doesn't even have his maxed out in the front and he sits about .25 lower than me and my BCs are maxed out and have a perch removed. Just wanted to clear that up
Thanks for chiming in homie. I totally forgot but I DO remember someone saying they swapped out the springs to go lower. I think it was Ethan Y. from Florida (drives a black 4th gen sedan so you might know him). As for the D2's, are they true styled spring on strut coilovers or are they oem styled with the spring in a separate bucket like BC's?
Last edited by AlexM. on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aphu
Car: 2010 Altima Coupe

I know ksport go low. Illestcoupe Just installed ksports on his coupe and he's slammed! He's On stock rims and rear is completEly tucked under and front is lIke 1 finger gap. But he's not maxed out yet

Flores45

AlexM. wrote:
Flores45 wrote:I know for a fact the Megan's don't go the lowest. I know 3 people that have/had them maxed out and still had a two finger gap in the front. They needed to buy the shorter springs from Megan to go lower. The D2s go the lowest, my friend doesn't even have his maxed out in the front and he sits about .25 lower than me and my BCs are maxed out and have a perch removed. Just wanted to clear that up
Thanks for chiming in homie. I totally forgot but I DO remember someone saying they swapped out the springs to go lower. I think it was Ethan Y. from Florida (drives a black 4th gen sedan so you might no him). As for the D2's, are they true styled spring on strut coilovers or are they oem styled with the spring in a separate bucket like BC's?
Yeah ikno Ethan his Sedan is pretty low lol. BUt yeah the D2s are true styled coilovers for the rear, the spring bucket just sits empty.

stevek3670
Car: 2008 altima coupe 3.5se

I'm thinking of getting coilover really soon as my shocks are gone from eibach i have on right now. I am thinking about either tein (due to brand-name and reliability) or d2. However, I did not realize that d2 were true style coilovers for the rear. My question is are these "true style designs" better for the rear? And if so what other coilovers have this? Does anyone know what style teins are? Thanks!

AlexM.

Flores45 wrote:BUt yeah the D2s are true styled coilovers for the rear, the spring bucket just sits empty.
Wish I got these from the get-go. Might not've needed 350z rears lol
stevek3670 wrote:I'm thinking of getting coilover really soon as my shocks are gone from eibach i have on right now. I am thinking about either tein (due to brand-name and reliability) or d2. However, I did not realize that d2 were true style coilovers for the rear. My question is are these "true style designs" better for the rear? And if so what other coilovers have this? Does anyone know what style teins are? Thanks!
Not sure if there are any benefits other than being able to go lower. I wonder how the ride quality differs..

Weimy812
Car: Alt coupe 2012 3.5sr, greddy spectrum elite, raceingline y pipe, Tein Street Advance coilovers

I have the new street advance coilover set from tein and they are "not" a true coilover in the rear they setup like the stock setup. I know that the tein don't go as low as D2's but are probably 50% more comfortable and i would say 100% but not trying to make anyone upset lol.... Anyway, mine sit pretty low right now and im maxed out and on full stiff and still can barely tell im lowered the ride is sooooooo comfy! but i also only have 6k miles on my car. The springs i know on a true coilover are skinner and my guessing more harsh on the bumps but on our setup with the springs being separate from the strut the springs are wider and softer. Tein's come 8k front and 6k rear if that helps.

Weimy812
Car: Alt coupe 2012 3.5sr, greddy spectrum elite, raceingline y pipe, Tein Street Advance coilovers

Image Image Image.
That's an old pic and im sitting 1in lower in the front now so you can try and look on how low tein go btw street advance are the same specs as the super street just have some better changes to them.

AlexN09
Car: 2011 Altima Coupe 2.5S

Weimy post some new pics of your stance! even if it's just cell phone! And some spacers would make your wheels look so good

Weimy812

Yeah I will take some new closer photos today...but about the spacers my buddy put some on to make me have a +15 offset and it looked weird with the sidewalks being 45. I'm looking at some point to get some new wheels but the ones I want are pretty pricey and still can't decide on brand and color. Also I'm not to sure about pulling my rears and fronts just in case I decide to trade in later on down the road plus don't want to crack the paint or cause a dent. I like it the way it is now just need a tiny waiver for me to get tinted all around. Delaware you are not a loud to have anything on the front windows so that makes it really tough on the coupes.

AlexM.

Thanks for the info, Matt! Super Street = Street Advance?
Weimy812 wrote:Also I'm not to sure about pulling my rears and fronts just in case I decide to trade in later on down the road plus don't want to crack the paint or cause a dent.
I brought this up with one of the nicer service advisors at Nissan and he told me that fenders for our cars are pretty cheap (can't remember if they're $50 or $250. I think $250 is more reasonable lol). But you'll still have to pay for paint.

SanoSuKe

and they come pulled? :gapteeth:

Weimy812

No i think he means to replace if you F up your fender. That would be sick to get a professionally pulled and rolled fender for $250!

SanoSuKe

Rolling the fender is not expensive. A lot of shops quoted me $25 each corner, not sure about pulling tho.

Weimy812

rolling is a little easier due to its under the fender and its ok if you mess up you can always fix it usually. But on the other hand pulling can be another beast. I wouldn't really touch mine unless i had some friends with me that knew what they were doing and if they had a professional puller. Which you can purchase anywhere in the range of $150 used and $250 new.

AlexM.

SanoSuKe wrote:Rolling the fender is not expensive. A lot of shops quoted me $25 each corner, not sure about pulling tho.
That's a pretty good price. Around here, two sides is about $100. I got a forum guy to do mine for $80 though. I'm really particular about pulling. And with the way the edge of our fenders drop straight down, I'd imagine its hard to make the pull seamless. You would have to pull up and out near the drop down point and going down that route would really look like a fender flare

Weimy812

So i took some more photos of my car today to show you how it looks fully lowered on tein street advance coils. Hope you like the special little guy in one of my photos he is my world and if anyone was wondering about my name now you know lol. Enjoy and let me know what you think or any ideas you might have.

Image Image ImageImage Image Image

Theiranman69
Car: Super Black Altima Coupe '08, CVT

Weird. I have the Megan's and have no gap in the front and I'm maxxed out.

AlexM.

Theiranman69 wrote:Weird. I have the Megan's and have no gap in the front and I'm maxxed out.
Maybe they don't have as much preload as Theiranman. If his spring is super compressed then that would explain why he's so much lower.

Another thing to compare would be wheel and tire combos. Flores are they all on stock wheels? Theiranman's wheels are aftermarket and looks like his sidewall isn't that big.

We should measure from the ground up to be certain. Wheel gap has too many factors

Weimy812

nice like your style lol yeah im currently looking at some wheels just cant decide which ones i want.

Flores45

AlexM. wrote:
Theiranman69 wrote:Weird. I have the Megan's and have no gap in the front and I'm maxxed out.
Maybe they don't have as much preload as Theiranman. If his spring is super compressed then that would explain why he's so much lower.

Another thing to compare would be wheel and tire combos. Flores are they all on stock wheels? Theiranman's wheels are aftermarket and looks like his sidewall isn't that big.

We should measure from the ground up to be certain. Wheel gap has too many factors
Naww they all had aftermarket wheels either 18s or 19s. Tire sizes have alot todo with it also.

AlexM.

Word has it that Ksport rears go slammed while fronts don't. Can any of you that recently got ksport coils chime in please?

aphu
Car: 2010 Altima Coupe

AlexM. wrote:Word has it that Ksport rears go slammed while fronts don't. Can any of you that recently got ksport coils chime in please?
Just waiting On mine to come in so I can do a full review on them!

Mistahlimit
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

AlexM. wrote:Word has it that Ksport rears go slammed while fronts don't. Can any of you that recently got ksport coils chime in please?

i just got mine installed and the rear goes really low but haven't been able to get the front to go as low...

im runing 20's all around and the rear tucks a lot of tire and some of the rim... my front still has a one finger gap... it looks like it has room to go down more but i just didn't get the time to mess around with them more...

BTW the rears are true coils they have the spring and strut as one not separate like OEM...

so far the ride is good not to stiff and not too bouncy, i like them but there is a couple of flaws in their designs though.... :confused:

Link to a picture i have on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

Irvxing
Car: 2011 Altima Coupe 2.5s M/T

which ride the smoothest besides tein? since they aren't for the 2.5s...:( looked but everyone says their coils arent too bouncy lol

Mistahlimit
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

lol a lot of people have BC coils and they said that they are good too.... but nothing is really going to give you the ride you get with your stock suspension

you always end up losing something with tein you can't go that low but you get the ride you want, with other coils you can go low but the ride isn't that smooth

AlexM.

And then there's preload and damping which substantially contribute to ride quality. And you can never match those 100% to someone else's.

AlexN09
Car: 2011 Altima Coupe 2.5S

Hey Alex,

You wouldn't happen to know much about preload and dampening, would you?

AlexM.

Just a little bit, what about it?

Return to “Altima General Discussions”