Climate Control Question

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
BrianV
Car: 07 G35S 6MT, 02 MDX-T AWD

I see people complaining about the lack of climate control. The Nissan web site doesn't list it anywhere, but looking at the pictures of the interior on their site, I clearly see the fan knob and the which way the air blows knob both have auto on them.

My 350Z was exactly the same. You set it to a temp with the center dial and you leave the other two on auto and it automatically changes the way it blows and the amount it blows to keep it at the set temp. It also raises heat or AC to keep it that temp.

How is that not climate control, or are my eyes fooling me on the web site?

Derango
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Package

There is no auto setting.

BrianV

Then there's some false advertisement. Sorry, but for me, no climate control = OFF THE LIST

PS - You can see it says AUTO on the left knob, and you can see TO on the right knob.

BrianV

Here's the 350Z for reference (nearly identical except the knobs are in opposite positions):

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

I have not seen any complaint per say about the climate control system's lack of an auto function. The only topic I know of is the one below relating to AC and recirculate air switches.

zerothread/293935

BrianV

Ticmxman wrote:I have not seen any complaint per say about the climate control system's lack of an auto function. The only topic I know of is the one below relating to AC and recirculate air switches.

zerothread/293935
I saw a lot of mentions in the what don't you like about your rogue thread. I'm more curious about why the picture on nissanusa.com has auto on the two knobs yet people say their's don't; there's a big problem with that.

BrianV

BrianV wrote:
I saw a lot of mentions in the what don't you like about your rogue thread. I'm more curious about why the picture on nissanusa.com has auto on the two knobs yet people say their's don't; there's a big problem with that.
Thread for reference = zerothread/293883

Lightforce18
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue Black on Black. SL AWD. Leather. Moonroof. Premium.

in the actual car it says Low not auto.

I always put mine on low instead of controlling the fan speed. It gets the job done. On low my windows defrost good, and it doesn't get too hot in my car.

BrianV

Lightforce18 wrote:in the actual car it says Low not auto.

I always put mine on low instead of controlling the fan speed. It gets the job done. On low my windows defrost good, and it doesn't get too hot in my car.
Maybe it only comes in the premium package, although it's not listed as a premium package option.

BrianV

I sent a message to Nissan corporate.

Ticmxman

I'm pretty sure that there is no auto climate system in any model Rogue. Not a big deal at all to me but it maybe to you. I d like the basic design of the system with the fan speeds are variable not just 4 speeds like the RAV4.

BrianV

Ticmxman wrote:I'm pretty sure that there is no auto climate system in any model Rogue. Not a big deal at all to me but it maybe to you. I d like the basic design of the system with the fan speeds are variable not just 4 speeds like the RAV4.
Yeah, but the Rav4 Limited has dual-auto climate which is why it's the only Rav we've considered to date. I'd prefer the sport, but for that reason and the availability of leather, we can't get the sport.

Lightforce18

BrianV wrote:
Maybe it only comes in the premium package, although it's not listed as a premium package option.

mine has that package. it says LOW not auto.

I had the auto climate in my g35. Its a neat little feature but nothing to go WOW over.

BrianV

Lightforce18 wrote:

mine has that package. it says LOW not auto.

I had the auto climate in my g35. Its a neat little feature but nothing to go WOW over.
Do you have the leather package, maybe it only comes with that?

Anyways, yes it is something to go WOW over. I absolutely cannot tolerate manual control. It's always too hot or too cold. I also find when riding in other people's cars with manual it's always too hot or too cold. Often considerably too hot and considerably too low. I generally find with climate controls that you can set them and they're relatively comfortable and only require minor modification. Also, you get in the tendency of putting it on HIGH heat when it's cold and freezing cold when you're hot. Auto CC does that for you and doesn't start blowing until coolant temperature is optimal, and doesn't start blowing until the AC is working well. It adjusts to the coolant changes and changing temperatures outside.

Another benefit is that if you were to get remote start, you could remote start and have it automatically start working to get to that temp. Where I live, we have rapid temp swings and after parking at work for 9-10 hours, the setting I left it in the morning might be the opposite of what I want.

It's become a necessity for me. I can live without dual climate control, but I need at least single zone CC. I've had it on all cars except one since 1997 and that was the one thing that bugged me the most.

I'm sure this will being a plethora of arguments regarding how some people don't like it and they prefer manual, or that with manual they can get more precise, blah blah. That's fine, and fine for you, but for ME it's a big deal; I love auto climate control. There's a reason why all luxury cars have it and none don't; it truly is a luxury. Just the thought of driving my sister's camry last week without it makes me cringe.

For what it's worth, I wish I could get rain-sensing wipers on more cars. I hate that my 07 G35 doesn't have them. They're absolutely awesome. Maybe I'm weird, but I HATE having to constantly adjust things and luxuries like rain sensing wipers and auto climate control are big tickets for me. Ironically, I prefer rowing my own gears though.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand, what's wrong with the web site then. I really feel cheated; I whole-heartedly assumed it had it since it's clearly pictured exactly like the 350z's on their website.

dobby10

SL AWD Premium Package here.

I took a look at the two Rogue viewbooks I have, and they both have the picture on the website, but they also have other shots where you can see it clearly says "LOW".

As far as "AUTO" CC waiting until the proper time to start blowing air, I have found that the Rogue waits. Here in NJ it is in the 30-40 degree range and it doesn't kick the air on for about a mile I've found.

Harveyeyes
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Wicked Black/Grey Leather

BrianV wrote:Do you have the leather package, maybe it only comes with that?

Anyways, yes it is something to go WOW over. I absolutely cannot tolerate manual control. It's always too hot or too cold. I also find when riding in other people's cars with manual it's always too hot or too cold. Often considerably too hot and considerably too low. I generally find with climate controls that you can set them and they're relatively comfortable and only require minor modification. Also, you get in the tendency of putting it on HIGH heat when it's cold and freezing cold when you're hot. Auto CC does that for you and doesn't start blowing until coolant temperature is optimal, and doesn't start blowing until the AC is working well. It adjusts to the coolant changes and changing temperatures outside.

Another benefit is that if you were to get remote start, you could remote start and have it automatically start working to get to that temp. Where I live, we have rapid temp swings and after parking at work for 9-10 hours, the setting I left it in the morning might be the opposite of what I want.

It's become a necessity for me. I can live without dual climate control, but I need at least single zone CC. I've had it on all cars except one since 1997 and that was the one thing that bugged me the most.

I'm sure this will being a plethora of arguments regarding how some people don't like it and they prefer manual, or that with manual they can get more precise, blah blah. That's fine, and fine for you, but for ME it's a big deal; I love auto climate control. There's a reason why all luxury cars have it and none don't; it truly is a luxury. Just the thought of driving my sister's camry last week without it makes me cringe.

For what it's worth, I wish I could get rain-sensing wipers on more cars. I hate that my 07 G35 doesn't have them. They're absolutely awesome. Maybe I'm weird, but I HATE having to constantly adjust things and luxuries like rain sensing wipers and auto climate control are big tickets for me. Ironically, I prefer rowing my own gears though.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand, what's wrong with the web site then. I really feel cheated; I whole-heartedly assumed it had it since it's clearly pictured exactly like the 350z's on their website.
Why are you even considering a Rogue? You need to go spend $50k and go get something with a luxury sticker on it.... not an economical gas-friendly small SUV meant for us "common people" who can turn a knob when they are hot or cold or when they want to start their car.

Ticmxman

BrianV wrote:I sent a message to Nissan corporate.
Looks like Nissan screwed up with the web pics of the interior climate controls. I see the auto selection in your pic. The 08 Rogues say low on the fan speed where the web pic says auto. I'm suprised it took this long for someone to spot this. Hey maybe thats a pic of the control in the 09 Rogue. Harvyeyes you probably said it best the Rogue is a fine crossover, and for what it costs it's a good value, but does it have every possible gizzmo no it doesn't.

Links to a few pics of the controls in our Rogues.zerothread/282595

albertwang16

It is very possible Nissan has reserved some of the features to put on the 09 line. both my girl friend and I have a 95 maxima GLE and her came with heated seats and mine didn't.

I think it is a pretty common game for car makers so they can claim "new features" or "add-on value"

BrianV

Harveyeyes wrote:
Why are you even considering a Rogue? You need to go spend $50k and go get something with a luxury sticker on it.... not an economical gas-friendly small SUV meant for us "common people" who can turn a knob when they are hot or cold or when they want to start their car.
LOL classic response. They sell the Rogue with heated seats and mirrors which is more luxurious than climate control which is pretty common feature today. There are other cross-overs with these features including the CRV and the Rav4. I can list a ton of cars under $25k that have climate control; this is not a super exotic/luxury feasture so I'd think the Rogue would have it, especially with other features like heated seats. I'm not looking for things too crazy like intelligent cruise control, or even navigation. I've already justified to myself the value of climate control; it's a bummer this vehicle doesn't have it, and for the record, I'm no longer considering the Rogue so you don't need to worry about that. If the 09 comes out with it and I haven't purchased a new SUV by then, then the Rogue will be an option.

I'm just really bummed out since I had almost whole-heartedly convinced myself this was the perfect vehicle that had all of our must-have features, our fuel economy requirements, from a manufacturer we trust, and at a great price. Unfortunately, that picture mislead me and now I'm back at square-1.

If you can live without CC, the Rogue is still an AWESOME vehicle, unfortunately we've been spoiled too long.

BrianV

albertwang16 wrote:It is very possible Nissan has reserved some of the features to put on the 09 line. both my girl friend and I have a 95 maxima GLE and her came with heated seats and mine didn't.

I think it is a pretty common game for car makers so they can claim "new features" or "add-on value"
GLEs all came with leather and power seats but they did not come with heated seats. Heated seats were an option and a rare one at that. I also found that on 4th gen Maximass, ABS was actually a kind of rare option as well. In California, it was nearly impossible to find heated seats anywhere.

So it wasn't a weird factory thing, she bought a car with an option and you didn't. It'd be like buying equal Rogues but one with the moonroof. IIRC, the heated seats option on the Maxima was $400 or $450.

albertwang16

I see, that could be it then. Although I still think it is possible for Nissan to hold up some options as a long term strategy to encourage new buyers later on.

BrianV

albertwang16 wrote:I see, that could be it then. Although I still think it is possible for Nissan to hold up some options as a long term strategy to encourage new buyers later on.
Makes sense but there are tons of features they could bring in for that. I just think with some of the other options (bluetooth, heated seats, leather, smartkey, etc.) that climate control is a no-brainer. At least make it part of the premium package or something.

Anyways, other features that could be added another year:

- Nav- Backup Cam- Bumper Radar- Power passenger seat- Auto up/down on more windows- Remote Start- Memory Seatsetc.

The skys the limit for providing more features later on. I'm of the camp that one entering a new segment needs to blow it out and not save some in the tank for later. In fact, my biggest gripe about Nissan is how they're constantly changing things in their vehicles every 1-2 years. You can never have a new vehicle. Many times it's big changes like engines. Other companies do this less frequently (Acura, Toyota, BMW, etc.). I've owned over 10 Nissan products and all of them have had many changes from year to year.

Examples:

95-96 Maxima vs 97-99 (looks changed dramatically for the better)00-01 Maxima vs 02-03 (3.0 liter to 3.5 liter, looks changed)00-01 I30 VS 02-03 I35 (3.0 liter to 3.5 liter, looks changed)03-04 G35 vs 05-06 G35 (260HP engine to 298/280, looks changed dramatically)03-04 350Z vs 05-07Z vs 08Z (287HP vs 300HP vs 306SAE HP)Xterra added a supercharged version a couple years later.

These are just some examples, but it appears the 09 G35 Sedan will be a G37 instead so that supports it still. Although they hold their resale fairly well, it sucks that you buy a car and then the next year or so a series of awesome changes come out.

BMW almost never changes their vehicles and they have longer refresh cycles. Now granted, I know we're not talking about BMW, but take the Rav4, it's now three years old and is relatively unchanged. If the Rogue came out with all of these features later, even for additional price, there would be some regretful 08 owners.

Lightforce18

th
BrianV wrote:
Makes sense but there are tons of features they could bring in for that. I just think with some of the other options (bluetooth, heated seats, leather, smartkey, etc.) that climate control is a no-brainer. At least make it part of the premium package or something.

Anyways, other features that could be added another year:

- Nav- Backup Cam- Bumper Radar- Power passenger seat- Auto up/down on more windows- Remote Start- Memory Seatsetc.

The skys the limit for providing more features later on. I'm of the camp that one entering a new segment needs to blow it out and not save some in the tank for later. In fact, my biggest gripe about Nissan is how they're constantly changing things in their vehicles every 1-2 years. You can never have a new vehicle. Many times it's big changes like engines. Other companies do this less frequently (Acura, Toyota, BMW, etc.). I've owned over 10 Nissan products and all of them have had many changes from year to year.

Examples:

95-96 Maxima vs 97-99 (looks changed dramatically for the better)00-01 Maxima vs 02-03 (3.0 liter to 3.5 liter, looks changed)00-01 I30 VS 02-03 I35 (3.0 liter to 3.5 liter, looks changed)03-04 G35 vs 05-06 G35 (260HP engine to 298/280, looks changed dramatically)03-04 350Z vs 05-07Z vs 08Z (287HP vs 300HP vs 306SAE HP)Xterra added a supercharged version a couple years later.

These are just some examples, but it appears the 09 G35 Sedan will be a G37 instead so that supports it still. Although they hold their resale fairly well, it sucks that you buy a car and then the next year or so a series of awesome changes come out.

BMW almost never changes their vehicles and they have longer refresh cycles. Now granted, I know we're not talking about BMW, but take the Rav4, it's now three years old and is relatively unchanged. If the Rogue came out with all of these features later, even for additional price, there would be some regretful 08 owners.
there always gonna be new cars, and new features.

I'd suggest u drive the rogue. If you like it buy it. If not then wait for the 09 maybe it will have the feature you want.

BrianV

Lightforce18 wrote:th

there always gonna be new cars, and new features.

I'd suggest u drive the rogue. If you like it buy it. If not then wait for the 09 maybe it will have the feature you want.
I may test drive it some time I'm bored. The irony is, before all of this, there really wasn't a car that met my needs. A particularly configured Rav4 did but I've yet to find it ever at any dealer in Texas (Limited 4wd, leather, jbl, and moonroof). The Rogue however I have been with the exception of this climate control thing.

Earlier today, my g/f and I thought we found our next car; she had already picked out her color. I'm really interested to see if I get a response from Nissan. I sent a detailed yet polite email.

So we can put this to rest, has anyone confirmed that the leather package doesn't add auto climate control?

Lightforce18

i have leather also

it says LOW

BrianV

Lightforce18 wrote:i have leather also

it says LOW
Bummer, I was holding out hope as other than this missing feature, this car is perfect for us. Maybe we'll make the sacrifice... Our MDX is still under warranty until November so it's best for us to just hold out until the end of Summer or so. Maybe I'll catch a peak at what the 09 model has.

Thanks for all the input on this thread.

Jaded TC
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I suppose it would cost too much to have it changed over to auto in some way? Or trading out the system with another from a parted out Nissan... I would like to have auto climate control too. I've never had it but would probably not want to be without it either after having it.

BrianV

Jaded TC wrote:I suppose it would cost too much to have it changed over to auto in some way? Or trading out the system with another from a parted out Nissan... I would like to have auto climate control too. I've never had it but would probably not want to be without it either after having it.
Yeah it's a great feature, however, I find most people don't use it properly. My g/f's brother just got his first car with Auto CC and he still uses it like manual. He doesn't trust the system, when he's hot he goes down to 60 degrees and turns the fan all the way up. I explain to him, just leave it at 70 and it'll cool down just as fast. He disagrees, saying, "The fan never turns on fast." I reply, "That's because it doesn't start blowing hard until it has cold-air to blow; you don't want it puking hot air from after you parked." and that's where we agree to disagree.

I see this very frequently, especially with people who are new to it. In addition, operating an automatic system in manual mode like he does often takes many more steps and takes longer than operating a manual system so they prefer manual systems.

Regardless, I've had it on all of my cars since my 97 Maxima (except one car which was a utility truck) and I've loved it. My parents have had it in their cars longer; my dad as early as 1989 with his BMW 735i.

As far as your question, there's no way to retrofit it, reasonably that is. There are interior sensors, control boxes, etc. I've never even heard of someone doing a swap on a model that had it as an option (example 97 Maxima GXE swapping out auto CC from a 97 Maxima GLE). It's just too much work. In this case, there is no Rogue with it so it'd be even more impossible.

My bet is that within the next 10 years, it'll be nearly impossible to find a car without AutoCC, just like it's nearly impossible to find a car now without A/C or a CD player (former luxuries that made their way to standard equipment).

BrianV

LOL @ Nissan's response; here's the threaded email chain - start from bottom and read up:

Randy,I'm disappointed in your response. This was a canned response and makes me question whether you even read the message I sent. It's clear that the Rogue does not have any auto features on its HVAC controls. Going to the dealer will not prove otherwise. I've researched this thoroughly and have discovered that no Rogues in the US have any auto feature regardless of which package is purchased (verified with owners). This also supports the fact that the feature is not listed anywhere on your web site. See a picture of an actual US Rogue's HVAC controls: http://www.awallacedesigns.com/images/rogue3.jpg

Compare that with the picture I took of the Nissanusa web site: http://www.brianv.net/pics/roguecc.jpg. Clearly a mistake has been made, and I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Auto Climate Control is a must-have feature on my next vehicle and I had actually arranged to take a test drive under the assumption the car functioned like it was pictured on the web site, in which additional research has proven otherwise.

I think you should change that picture to clear up the confusion. It's as simple as changing the words "AUTO" to "LOW" and "MAX A/C". Your web team should be able to change that using a photo manipulation utility.

I've already determined the feature is not there and going to the dealer won't change it. The simple fact that you suggested I go to the dealer is disconcerting as the dealers generally know nothing about your vehicles and aren't equipped to troubleshoot this technical inaccuracy on your web site.

How about I take a screenshot of that picture into the dealer and tell them to find me a Rogue with this feature? If I do that, can I get a Rogue with Auto climate control?

Thanks for the response, but please provide better service next time.

-Brian

----- Original Message ----- From: <[email protected]>Sent: Friday, December 28, 2007 9:27 AMSubject: Re: Nissan Products [INTR:882571]

> File # 5985671> > Dear Brian,> > Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, Inc. and > allowing us the opportunity to be of assistance.> > In order to obtain information regarding the options and > Availability of features on the Rogue SL, please > contact your local Nissan dealer, as the dealer is > in the best position to advise you and answer your > questions and concerns.> > If you have any further questions and/or comments, > please feel free to contact Nissan Consumer Affairs > at 1-800-647-7261.> > Thank you for allowing me to be of assistance.> > Sincerely,> > Randy Cousineau> Consumer Relations Representative > Nissan North America, Inc.> > > >> ---- Original Message ---->> From : [email protected]>> To : [email protected]>> Subject : Nissan Products [INTR:882571]>> Date : Thu, 27 Dec 2007 21:30:26 GMT>> >> >> <comments>I'm very interested in the Nissan Rogue SL AWD. We were considering the Rav4 Limited until we found the Rogue. I've owned many Nissan (and Infiniti) products and am looking to buy a replacement for our Acura MDX. We have a checklist of items that we require in our vehicle. One of them is automatic climate control. Based on the picture of the Rogue interior on your web site (see screenshot at: http://www.brianv.net/pics/roguecc.jpg ) the fan and blower knobs both have AUTO settings on them. It's nearly identical to how my 350Z's climate adjustments are. However, no where on your standard options or packaged options is automatic climate control listed. Even more concerning, users on http://www.nicoclub.com are reporting that they DO NOT have auto climate control. This leads me to believe the image on your web site is wrong. I told my girlfriend it for sure had auto climate control and showed her the picture. We had planned test driving this weekend, but I can't make any sense out of the reports I'm hearing from actual owners. Is this just an item listed in a particular package that wasn't documented? For what it's worth, we planned on getting the leather and premium packages. Can you please clear this up ASAP.>> Thanks,

Ticmxman

BrianV, I thought your responce was perfect. Nissan should give you a better reponce than "see your dealer" Lets see if someone from Nissan follows up with another reply.

Return to “Rogue Forum”