cheap vh45 forged rod & low comp piston solution (maybe?)

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
blazin'240sx
Car: 93 s13 coupe se

vq30det-pistons-almost-figured-out-t257392.html

i was reading this and by the time i was done we were still at the dilemma of having about 2 mm of space between the top of the piston and the deck which would make the compression too low. the stock connecting rods are 5.8 inches in length (center to center) which is 147.32 mm, and i found some rods for american V8s that were close and have a length of 5.850 inches which is 148.59 mm. that may just be enough to use the vq30det pistons but my only question is would it be safe to modify aftermarket forged rods? and just like hydrogen welding for cam regrinds can you do something similar to make the big end bore of a connecting rod smaller then bore it out to the size you need?

here is some manley rods.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/man-14044-8/overview/
the big end bore diameter is 2.1250 in. and the stock size is 2.160 in. so it would need to be honed just a little. the big end width is wider so you can grind it down (if its safe to do so). and the pin end bore diameter is pretty close. the notes say: Designed for 22mm pin and 2.000 in. crank journal. if they mean a 22mm wrist pin then i think these rods will work with very small modifications done to them.

here is some eagle h beams.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/esp-5 ... /overview/
these would require more modification but would be worth it for 1100hp (i would never need that much).
Big End Bore Diameter (in): 2.2250 in. stock: 2.160 in.
Pin End Bore Diameter: 0.927 in. piston wrist pin: .865 in.
Big End Width (in): 0.940 in. stock: .865 in.
Pin End Width (in): 1.060 in. stock: .700 in.

i figured i would see if this was possible because it would be a whole lot better than paying $1600 for just connecting rods
http://www.pureperformancemotorsport.co ... -rods.html
there worth it for 1600+hp (lol $1 per hp) but not all of us need anywhere near that much power.

someone with some knowledge should look this over and see if im missing something or see if this is possible

blazin'240sx
Car: 93 s13 coupe se

i emailed summit racing and the manley rods i mentioned above works with a 22mm wrist pin. so all that needs to be done to these is to make them thinner (from 0.940 in. to .865 in.) and bore out the big end (from 2.1250 to 2.160). all i need to know is if i can do this to aftermarket rods while keeping the strength of them. if so then these will work with vq30det pistons. the other rods i mentioned wont work though.

budgetbeast
Car: 1995 240SX

I know a guy that took a Kubota diesel, where a rod had wallowed due to bearing failure and
take the rod cap and cut it down, then re bore;
then would just bore into the top of the big end and bolt them back together and ran it for another 10 years(diesel).
point being modifying a rod isn't an issue.
I guess it would all depend on the amount of material on the rod to start with. I think you would be much better off removing material in this scenario than adding it. Being forged I don't know about welding them like a cam, especially the extreme up and down pressures that rod in going through.

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”