CHATROOM: Engine Fan Serpentine Belt

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Scooter71
Car: 09 Rogue SL AWD Fully Loaded

Great video, pretty much exactly how I do mine also. ::hint hint:: a video on serpentine belt removal and change would be awesome!! ;)

(UPDATED BY IMSTRICKEN)
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix video link

Scooter71

JMed wrote:
Scooter71 wrote:Great vidoe, pretty much exactly how I do mine also. ::hint hint:: a video on serpentine belt removal and change would be awesome!! ;)
+1 on that :bigthumb:
Sombody has to have some tip or input on how to renove this damn thing! Made my second attempt over the weekend after purchasing a snap on low profile 14mm socket. No luck getting to the tension pulley. Tried using a pry bar and slightly moving engine to slip that bad boy on...nothing! :gotme

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Here is one answer, http://www.justanswer.com/nissan/58ikm- ... owing.html

From this site, which you have to pay for, http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/diy ... re_sb.html
Remove right front wheel.
Remove bolts from right-hand front fender protector assembly, then remove fender protector.
Rotate or lift belt tensioner arm clockwise, using a suitable tool to relieve tension from drive belt. Do not rotate belt tensioner...
Here is another, http://www.fixya.com/cars/t13078917-rep ... 009_nissan

It's easy and you won't need a pry bar.
Get a 14mm or 9/16" socket and a long handled ratchet or breaker bar.
For putting the belt on: Get the belt around all the pulleys except the A/C compressor or Alternator.
The tensioner pulley is on a spring loaded arm. Get your socket on the center nut of this pulley.
Slowly pull the ratchet toward the center of the engine. The pulley will pivot on the arm allowing you to get the belt on the final pulley.
Slowly release the tension.
You're done!
Mike

Scooter71

Great post!! That's perfect, after looking (and I mean really looking at it) over the last couple of attmepts, I thaught that this was the way to go. Good looks brother, thanks for the info and help. I'll post up some pics once I get this thing going in couple of weeks . Thanks again.

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

This is for the 2011 Rogue, I assume it's the same. Read it through as there is a warning about what not to do with the tensioner.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

anyone have any experience in this? have you ever needed it done? Have you dont it yourself? any tips, advice?

dave08902
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue 360'

I had changed my serpentine belt because a squirrel chewed through belt and he was wedged between frame and engine. When I started it, the engine sounded like I threw a rod. I got a Dayco belt from the local parts store and spent several hours trying to get it on. The belt was just too short. I went to the local Nissan dealer and brought the OEM belt and the part number on the belt says the total length in MM. The nissan belt was several MM longer (I believe 3 or 4 MM) and the nissan belt fit perfectly without any effort. I used a wrench on the tensioner and saftey wired it to the frame while I routed the belt. There is a indicator on tensioner saying if belt is worn. If I did get the aftermarket belt on I would have been too tight and out of limits for the tensioner. Hope this helps... Use Nissan Belt and Wire wrench in place.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

ImStricken wrote:anyone have any experience in this? have you ever needed it done? Have you dont it yourself? any tips, advice?
Say what? You mean to tell me the Great And Powerful OZ... er, ImStricken hasn't changed a serpentine belt??? I'm speechless...

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Rogue One wrote:
ImStricken wrote:anyone have any experience in this? have you ever needed it done? Have you dont it yourself? any tips, advice?
Say what? You mean to tell me the Great And Powerful OZ... er, ImStricken hasn't changed a serpentine belt??? I'm speechless...
NOT ON THE ROGUE LOL. im only 1 year in! :gapteeth:

dave08902
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue 360'

I took pictures when I changed my engine oil and CVT oil. The picture shows how to install wrench onto tensioner. After you get wrench on find some wire and pull it toward the control arm and tie it off to it. One suggestion is to place new belt behind wire so when it comes time to put on new belt its ready to install. I didn't do that and I had to undo the wire and place belt behind the wire.

Leo2005

1. Remove the wheel:
2. Remove all the plastic clips and plastic covers including fender cover:
3. Get a wrench with socket 14mm and turn tensioner clockwise to loose/remove the belt:
4. Put everything back in reverse order with new belt:
5. Check for noise, belt correct position etc.
6. Have a pizza:

zengshengliu
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

Nice DIY tutorial LEO
And
Pepperoni Pizza with one pepperoni?

Scooter71

Leo banging job on the pics they were spot on minus the pizza part for me...lOL Helped a great deal with this simple install, been plaguing me for months. FInally had the opportunity yesterday to install and it went swimmingly. Here's the old bad boy at 45,600 miles.Image

KTM144sx
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S

Great post! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I just replaced my belt and it was easier than I thought it would be.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

zengshengliu wrote:Nice DIY tutorial LEO
And
Pepperoni Pizza with one pepperoni?
Probably a diet pizza.

kots1
Car: Nissan Rogue

KTM144sx wrote:Great post! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I just replaced my belt and it was easier than I thought it would be.
are you all using OE belt or any aftermarket belt out there that would correctly fit our Rogue? From what I have read, the equivalent Gatorback runs smaller than the original.

KTM144sx
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S

I used the oem belt. There are some comments that some aftermarket belts, even though they say they fit the rogue, are actually a few millimeters shorter than oem. Some have had trouble getting them on due to this.

darylzero

Thanks guys for the how to's and pics it helped a lot!

I just changed mine @45,500 miles.

Couple pics

Bought my belt from the local dealer as it was the same price as getting it online about $45
Part #11720-JG30B

One word of advice you may want to get some extra clips before you do this; at least 4 of mine just broke apart taking them out.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

forget the clips. i just ziptie the plastic splash guards. cheap, easy, and every time i apply new fresh ones! ;)

SlimSlammedRogue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Luckly i pulled my splash guard when i lowered the car, but besides that it was the easiest repair i ever did and i did mine last weekend lol

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

sanrico
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue S

darylzero wrote:Bought my belt from the local dealer as it was the same price as getting it online about $45
Part #11720-JG30B
Thanks everyone for this helpful info. I'm replacing mine after work today. I keep reading that some of the aftermarket ones are too short. Does anyone know the MM length of the OEM part? I can't find it anywhere online.

There's a NAPA right by my work, and they have an aftermarket belt for 32 bucks. I was thinking of getting this. It's 1820 MM length, 6 ribs. Will this be a proper replacement?

Napa part: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0225224285

Thanks!!

Qashqai

Do not underestimate that task. Although it may seem as simple as "remove tire-remove splash guard-turn the bolt counter clockwise" it is not that simple.

Read the Factory Service Manual Section EM, page 15.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Rogue/2011/EM.pdf

sanrico

Qashqai wrote:Do not underestimate that task. Although it may seem as simple as "remove tire-remove splash guard-turn the bolt counter clockwise" it is not that simple.

Read the Factory Service Manual Section EM, page 15.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Rogue/2011/EM.pdf
First of all, I would like to thank you for posting that link. SUPER helpful to have that manual! Thank you very much.

Second, is there part of the task you are referring to in particular? I reviewed the service manual, and it appears to be quite simple as described. Is there part of it that's particularly difficult?

darylzero

I didn't find any part particularly difficult but as Qashqai pointed out read the fsm before doing this so you know what to expect. For example in the FSM it says it you turn the tension-er the wrong direction it would need to be replaced!!
One word of advice when putting the new one on look at the picture in the FSM so you know how to route it.

I went with OEM so I wouldn't have any issues and as someone else pointed out they got an after market one and it was too short.
If you have a dealer near you I would just stop in there.
Everythingnissan.com has it; they add like $14 to ship.
http://www.everythingnissan.com/Nissan- ... 0b-110.htm
amazon has it, ebay

sanrico

Ok, here's my update:

It was a rather simple repair. I had watched a YouTube video that made it look a lot more difficult (and the guy couldn't hold the camera still).

The most time-consuming part was pulling out the fender liner, really. Once that liner is out, you have excellent access to the auto-tensioner. Having a helper was definitely a plus, as he was able to maintain wrench pressure on the auto-tensioner while I routed the belt from above. We took our time and stopped to chat here and there, and were done in about an hour.

I'm at 33.3k miles, and the belt wasn't looking horrible, but Firestone told my wife it was in a dire state, so I figured peace of mind is worth thirty-two bucks at Napa.

Here's the belt:

And here's the part from Napa:

Qashqai

The price of OEM belt is 60 Canadian dollars +13% tax. I was planning to purchase OEM but Napa has %20 discount for CAA (Canadian branch of AAA) members. Do you think I should buy OEM or doesn't worth it?

Did anybody put the new Napa belt and old OEM belt on top of each other to verify the length difference?

Qashqai

I think I know why some people had bad experience with the aftermarket serpentine belts.

In NAPA Canada, there are two serpentine belt options to choose from:

1. Part number 25060711 (called "belt serpentine"): # of Ribs:6,Top Width (mm):20 mm,Outside Circumference (mm):1820 mm,Section:K,Top Width (in):.807",Outside Circumference (in):71.625"

2. Part number 6PK1805 (called "belt alternator): Attribute Length:1805mm,Top Width:21.36mm,# of Ribs:6 Ribs,Angle Degree:40

See the difference? Option 1 is 15 mm shorter...I believe Part number 25060711 is the OEM equivalent.

di_gent
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

i thought i would give every one some info about my experience with getting my serpentine belt replace. About 2.5 years ago the dealership told me that my serpentine belt is in the yellow and they would monitor but i should consider replacing it. I didnt think much of it and told myself i would just ride it out and see what happens plus i didn't want to pay $196.88+taxes. So a few weeks ago i got a call from the dealership to replace that recall part (kick panel harness) that was a fire hazard. after they were done the service manager call and said i HAVE to replace the serpentine belt because it wasn't safe to drive my car. I declined and said i will get it done else where. I bought the part from the dealership (part #11720-JG30B)for $68.06. I called my local mechanic and he said he'll do it for $40. I attached the pic of the belt and some others just so people can see how much these thieves wanted. i think it was a good idea I replaced it. It was in pretty bad shape. So if the dealership offers to change it for you u can easily either do it yourself or u can wait another 2 years before you really need it.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

OEM nissan belt on amazon for: $43.40 (shipped) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DSR ... QJY47FUC2V

Return to “Rogue Forum”