Charter Spectrum RANT!

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Guys, I need to get this off my shoulders, so please hear me out, as this might be a younger generation thing, but its an issue.

Spectrum is a "recent" ISP and TV Service brand that took over BrightHouse (one of the few brands in Florida) and service was horrible since the purchase of Brighthouse Networks. We are paying ~$150+ tax+ hidden scam fees a month, which gives out for $69.99 for 100mbps and $79.99 for TV. And then there is a $10 a month rental fee for the internet modem, which doesn't make sense at all. However, since me and my father loves science, Spectrum doesn't offer that in its lower packages, but offers a crap load of useless channels we don't watch. On top of this, since I live on campus in a dorm, I only use an iPad and Laptop to watch shows during my relaxing time (time when I am not in class or in the library). However, Spectrum being a greedy and scammy corporation, told me their TV app ONLY works on their WiFi system. This sucks for anyone who pays a ton of money per month for their television subscription and is on vacation or business trip outside of the Charter Spectrum network. And not until recently, Spectrum wasn't in Miami, so that was a huge blow. All they had to offer was local Orlando news (Channel 13, which repeats the same dang news every 10 to 15 minutes for 24 hours/7 days a week) and MTV and music channels.

And with poor customer service, (this is similar to Nissan), I started to convince my father to ditch Spectrum. I did some research and found out that Charter Spectrum got sued by few US States for fraud and deceiving customers and has a 1-star overall review on the BBB and is not even a BBB accredited business. I also found out that the locals near home also had it with Spectrum, but unfortunately it is either Spectrum, AT&T and Century LInk that is available in the area, and all three service providers suck (we had Century Link for a month and disliked it). Recently, since I am a Verizon Unlimited customer, I got Disney+ for free for one year, and that convinced my father to think about ditching cable. It already convinced my mom as I also told them that my university also gives HBO and cineMAX for free.

As of October of this year, they made a stupid policy change where they stiff you like a dealership and won't prorate the bill if you cancel the service early. In-addition, people cannot rejoin as a new customer after a month to get better prices, which is crazy, considering the number of price hikes they do almost every month.

However, what I really don't understand is how one scammy corporation for cable and internet now operates a cellular phone service. They don't even have their own towers, as they are using Verizon's network, which makes no sense to even switch to that scammy service.

What I get from this industry and from Charter Spectrum is that they are greedy and selfish simpletons that sucks money out of everyone and finds newer ways to make sure customers don't get their money back, but to spend more money for less features (this is similar to Apple), like TV channels.

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

#firstworldproblems

Who pays $80 for TV in this day and age. Gross.

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

Check out Hughes Net which uses satellite feed. Their satellite is situated at 100 degrees West and should have a great sight angle from your location.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

You should check out Youtube TV. https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

You can try it free for 30 days to see if it works for you. Only thing I would watch out for is if your ISP charges if you go over 1TB a month.

datechboss101

So I looked into the Youtube TV prices, and boy, $50 a month! That's something I am trying to stay away from.

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

datechboss101 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:49 pm
but to spend more money for less features (this is similar to Apple).
Elaborate on this sentiment, boss of tech. I would love your enlightened viewpoint that brought you to this conclusion.
datechboss101 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:22 am
So I looked into the Youtube TV prices, and boy, $50 a month! That's something I am trying to stay away from.
Right dude? Better stay with that Spectrum TV for $80/month instead.

datechboss101

RicerX wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:57 am
datechboss101 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:49 pm
but to spend more money for less features (this is similar to Apple).
Elaborate on this sentiment, boss of tech. I would love your enlightened viewpoint that brought you to this conclusion.
datechboss101 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:22 am
Right dude? Better stay with that Spectrum TV for $80/month instead.
Ight.. ima elaborate more on that first part. What I mean by spend more money for less features, I mean its literally wasting money, throwing it in the garbage disposal every month for unwatched and unused channels, unless everyone is into those weird channels. And when I compared it to Apple, all Apple is doing is stiffing everyone for older Android features and less features offerred on the premium devices (lack of expandable storage, lack of user control and choice, use of a ton of dongles, lack of security options, etc.).

And the whole point of me bringing this topic up is to bring aware that spending $80 a month for cable TV that offers useless channels for majority of the population, its kind of a no-brainer to realize its a huge monopoly game and they will continually raise prices but not offer better selections with packages. I ain't no accounting wizard, but there are other options outside that offers TV content for a reasonable price, like Hulu and Netflix.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

datechboss101 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:38 am

And the whole point of me bringing this topic up is to bring aware that spending $80 a month for cable TV that offers useless channels for majority of the population, its kind of a no-brainer to realize its a huge monopoly game and they will continually raise prices but not offer better selections with packages. I ain't no accounting wizard, but there are other options outside that offers TV content for a reasonable price, like Hulu and Netflix.
Netflix doesn't give you TV channels, ie. CBS, NBC, ABC, etc. and Hulu Live with commercials is $54.95/month

Return to “General Chat”