Changing Japanese buttons

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Pinpoint

Hi there,

New to the forum and not yet owning, but very close to buying a Fuga 450GT.

On our present car there are Japanese buttons and I never cared. If I would buy this luxury right I would mind.

So...can the dash buttons be replaced? I am thinking maybe import from the US (I live in NZ). Maybe from a car wreckage yard?

I used the searched but did not find anyone that had done this?

Can it be done?

Cheers

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Welcome to the forum. I guess it depends on what year you swap from, we had a member (DeanM45 I believe) who replaced 06-07 dash buttons with 08-10 and some didn't work. If you keep it in the same year, you'll probably be okay.

Pinpoint

Thanks!

Oke, cool. Would you say the M45 is identical to the Fuga? Except here we drive on the left :)

I guess I will start my search and contact some wreckers.

mikew83
Car: 2005 Infiniti Q45 Luxury
2006 Infiniti M35X (Traded)
05 Es330, 15 NX200t

I think the biggest problem you're going to encounter is the fact that the right-hand drive Fugas have the button layout flipped from the Left hand drive M's. Even for the climate control functions. So unless you can find a right-hand drive Infiniti M button pad, I'm not sure it'll be very functional. And as far as I can recall, all of the countries that get the Infiniti vehicles vs. the JDM cars, are all Left-hand drive. If you're handy with wiring, it probably won't be a problem. You're probably going to encounter issues with the wiring harness seeing as Infiniti's use traditional GPS nav services, and the Fuga's use "Carwings" pay service, etc. So they are more than likely wired completely different.

I may be WAY wrong and off base here, but at any rate I hope you're able to do it! It sounds like it would be a fun project :)

Pinpoint

Ah....I get your point. Interesting! I was hoping just to change the buttons. Guess thats not happening.
I do not think I like that wiring challenge ;)

Thanks Mike!

[edit] maybe the UK might be an option? [/edit]

mikew83
05 Es330, 15 NX200t

You would think that they would just keep the button layout, right?! I mean, mo matter the side the driver is on, you still have to reach to the passenger side to hit buttons anyway. So why flip them :P

And sadly, NO. The M didn't arrive in the UK until the 2010 model year. I'm fairly certain the Y50 Fuga/M35-45 only was sold in Australasia, the Middle East (like Dubai and Saudi,) and North America. So any "English" center controls would be from the LHD Infiniti's here in the USA, Canada, or UAE.

I've been racking my brain all day. If I can think of a country that may work for your needs, I'll let you know.

mikew83
05 Es330, 15 NX200t

Pinpoint wrote:Ah....I get your point. Interesting! I was hoping just to change the buttons. Guess thats not happening.
I do not think I like that wiring challenge ;)
Actually I did a quick search, and you may be in luck! You said you were in New Zealand, yes? Here's a thread from someone else in NZ from last August looking to do the same
english-for-2005-nissan-fuga-350gt-t592240.html

Pinpoint

Mike thank you for your posts and your effort of finding a solution.

I dropped a post in that topic you linked to. Let's see what happens.

Cheers!

mikew83
05 Es330, 15 NX200t

Fingers crossed for you! :D Let us know how it goes

Pinpoint

:dblthumb:

Rayh
Car: Nissan Fugo 450GT Sport

Bit historic I know but did you ever have any luck changing the buttons on the console.
Like you I have been looking at them and thinking
So far the only real possible idea I have come up with is to carefully remove thejapanese writing and
try and find some sort of lettering system I can use to replace it with english lettering

Rayh
Car: Nissan Fugo 450GT Sport

Have looked further into this, looks like the best solution is to use a Brother P Touch labeller and print labels to go onto the existing switches
I see that you can get transparent label tape for the labeller that has black letters. Will give it a go and see how well it works

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”