Cain - 2012

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2024 Honda HR-V
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

300ZXttZMAN wrote: For example A couple presidential debates back he was asked about how he will control the border and he said we will have an electrified fence haha... (even though he just doesn't fully realize how big of an undertaking that would cost and be to maintain)
Methinks Hermie watched the Coneheads movie recently...

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Bubba1 wrote:
300ZXttZMAN wrote: For example A couple presidential debates back he was asked about how he will control the border and he said we will have an electrified fence haha... (even though he just doesn't fully realize how big of an undertaking that would cost and be to maintain)
Methinks Hermie watched the Coneheads movie recently...

Me thinks Cain is just about done!

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011 ... nt-accuser

Telcoman

Bubba1
2024 Honda HR-V
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

telcoman wrote:
Me thinks Cain is just about done!

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011 ... nt-accuser

Telcoman
Probably so. they used to refer to Clinton's indiscretions as "bimbo eruptions". With Cain, it's more like Mt. St. Helens.

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

Hm. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162- ... house-bid/

Curly Bill Brocius, what do you think about this?

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

telcoman wrote:Will Newt be next?
The Dems better hope not. While Newt is leading the polls in Iowa (last I saw) he won't be able to beat Obama in an election - Mitt is the better choice to run for the White House. The GOP needs to step back and take an objective look at which candidate stands the best chance of winning in an election, but I doubt they'll be able to be able to take that objective look at their house.

Bubba1
2024 Honda HR-V
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

BusyBadger wrote:
telcoman wrote:Will Newt be next?
The Dems better hope not. While Newt is leading the polls in Iowa (last I saw) he won't be able to beat Obama in an election - Mitt is the better choice to run for the White House. The GOP needs to step back and take an objective look at which candidate stands the best chance of winning in an election, but I doubt they'll be able to be able to take that objective look at their house.
I don't see Newt being electable. He makes good sound bytes occasionally, but he has a lotta dirty laundry that will get re-exposed if he gets the GOP nod.

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

Badger, you just cut really close to what's wrong with our government.

You stated: "The GOP needs to step back and take an objective look at which candidate stands the best chance of winning in an election..."

One thing the debates so far have shown is a huge non-convergance on the ISSUES across the hopefulls. True, some of that is because each is trying to differentiate him/herself in the eyes of the electorate, but there is still some obvious disagreement regarding policy. Beyond all else, this shows that the political parties themselves are dumbing down politics to the lowest common denominator, meaning regardless of who gets the nomination, most of the party members won't be voting for that candidate because of the party label and not because they believe in the candidate. In a country that loves to call itself a "democracy", that is hypocritical to the point of lunacy. Same thing on the Democrat side, too, just so you don't think I'm picking on the GOP. Primaries and the run-ups to the primaries are so self destructive that it's no wonder that the government is dysfunctional and the media is the only winner for any standing government.

stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

Let me start first by saying, yes Im rather disappointed in the news. Im not really surprised, once somthing like this breaks, the truth becomes inconsequential. I dont believe the allegations, but it doesnt matter. The mere weight of them was enough to do the damage. I believe history will show that Cain stood the do the most damage to the establishmentalism that plagues both sides of the aisle. For that he had to go down. I hope he makes another future bid once this mess is sorted out, but I guess time will tell. So now I'm left trying to figure out where to go from here. Obviously I'm not happy with Obama's performance, but is there really a clear ALTERNATIVE? There was, but is there now? Newt is, Paul is, but do they stand a chance of winning?

My back was to the drawing board, but now its back to the drawing board.

Bubba1
2024 Honda HR-V
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I think the main problem is due to the relentless scrutiny by the press, tabloids, lobbysists, and influence peddlers, the best candidates won't run.

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

I for one applaud and support the relentless scrutiny. It cuts through the B.S. that we would otherwise have no reason to take as anything other than gospel truth. A public servant of that caliber SHOULD be scrutinized and be able to pass such scrutiny. Plenty have.

Of course, there is a responsibility on the side of the press as well, though, to keep reporting fact-based and not heresay. But as media outlets are corporations, with responsibility to investors to make as much money as possible (well, except for NPR and those other media outlets that the GOP-led House seems to deem valueless), what you get from the major broadcasters is publication of anything they can get away with short of being sued for libel.

Return to “Politics Etc.”