Cain - 2012

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

Ok here is a new thread, instead of bloating the Trump one, where I'll post occasional stories as Herman Cain's campaign progresses.

Here is an article from American Thinker, pointing at Cain as the obvious Tea Party candidate
http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/05/ ... _cain.html

A question I would like to ask, would anyone make the argument that Cain is less qualified to be president than Obama was in 2008?

As we progress I'll post articles I run into about Cain's campaign. Time will tell how he stacks up against the so called "heavier hitters", although I consider him a pretty heavy hitter on his own.

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

Experience in the way that you want to define it doesn't matter to me. Quality, rather than quantity goes a long way with me (see Harvard Law Review, Constitutional Law Professorship), but, ultimately, "the President" isn't a job you can practice.

The reason I will not vote for Herman Cain is this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDXCwd65R5o[/youtube]

I realize that he's sort of doubled back on himself on this (but not completely), but forget about Islamophobia, this reeks of sheer political and legal incompetence. The thought of him as President angers me. Had it been a gaffe, rather than the intentional and full-throated display of bigotry, I might have been willing to give him a pass. But the only mistake Cain made was allowing himself to be in a position to be on tape with that absurd position.

stebo0728

Show me a president who DIDNT practice his terms? Its Cains openness and willingness to step back and view the details, details he isnt currently privy too, neither are the other candidates who spout rediculous plans, but to have the wearwithall to quickly and concisely develop a plan based on acquired details, thats what he brings to the table.

I think America just may disagree with your outlook. I wont expect him to count on your vote, but im hopeful toward his continued success. Again time will tell.

As far as I'm concerned, your issue above is a red herring. Id love to hear him explain it a bit better, but its not required, and I dont think many other folks will care either.

Again, wish you had watched the "debate", he was asked what gives him reason to think he has success with little political experience. His answer was classic, to paraphrase: "you've got political experience in place now, hows that workin out for ya?"

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

stebo0728 wrote:........ "you've got political experience in place now, hows that workin out for ya?"
Very well thank you very much

Bin Laden dead

Affordable healthcare bill passed

Somali priates dead

Financial markets back up

Job numbers up

Telcoman

stebo0728

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... e-and-cain

You might find the first comment on this one interesting, scroll to read it, seriously

R/T Hemi
Car: 2010 Challenger R/T
2012 TSX

I'd like to let the Tea baggers in on a little secret. They aren't helping the Republican party. They are dividing it instead of fixing it. To win, the Republicans need to find someone with superpowers who is willing to legalize topless sunbathing at all national parks.

stebo0728

Personally, I like the diversity of candidates at the primary level, it brings a sense of anti-partisan politics that we were originally envisioned to have. I would greatly enjoy seeing the national election having a greater diversity of candidates, with ideals rather than party mantras.

bigbadberry3

Obama +

Ended DADT

Obama-

Still in Iraq
Last edited by bigbadberry3 on Wed May 11, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

Again, Stebo, it's not the political experience that wins me over. But what loses me is being not only a complete retard politically, but being a complete retard when it comes to law, especially employment and discrimination law, which you'd think he'd know as a former Pizza don or whatever.

And that's just the beginning. The fact that he'd actually hold that dumbass position speaks wonders about his ability to reason. Guilt by association isn't going to fly with me, Stebo, I don't care how snippy his debate responses are.

stebo0728

stebo0728

Contrarily, I think this basically kills the Salamander's campaign:

http://townhall.com/video/newt-gingrich ... al-mandate

stebo0728

stebo0728 wrote:Contrarily, I think this basically kills the Salamander's campaign:

http://townhall.com/video/newt-gingrich ... al-mandate
HAHA not only did Newt endorse the federal mandate, he blasted the Ryan plan. Now he's backpedalling from both positions. Still early I wonder if any of this pandering will stick in the elections.

EDIT - AND will anyone remember this nugget?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RQKNH_nwM4[/youtube]

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Newt Gingrich, but I'd like to see where this thread is in the event that he wins.

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

Honestly, I have to say that Obama had at least some political experiencing before becoming the President of the United States. He was a State Senator in Ill. and a US Senator. What has Herman Cain done? Run God Father's pizza? I resent the implication from Republicans that business and politics are directly related to each other. Not necessarily. While Herman Cain may have savvy business experience, I don’t think that necessarily qualifies you to be the head Executive branch of this country.

The Republican Party really needs to get away from either populous candidates or neoconservative candidates.

stebo0728

Cold_Zero wrote:Honestly, I have to say that Obama had at least some political experiencing before becoming the President of the United States. He was a State Senator in Ill. and a US Senator. What has Herman Cain done? Run God Father's pizza? I resent the implication from Republicans that business and politics are directly related to each other. Not necessarily. While Herman Cain may have savvy business experience, I don’t think that necessarily qualifies you to be the head Executive branch of this country.

The Republican Party really needs to get away from either populous candidates or neoconservative candidates.
He also ran the Kansas City Bank for a while, and did quite well. Obama voted what, twice, in his Senate position before starting his presidential run? Yah lots of experience there. If you put greater value in a "community organizer" than a multi-successful corporate executive, thats your imperative. The reason we need a strong business and economic mind right now, is that the economy, and the "business related" aspects of the nation are what we are struggling with. When the economy looks good and we need to start figuring out more social issues like abortion and gay rights, then maybe a touchy feely prez will work, if we get involved in another major war, Id say we'd need a strong military minded prez. There is such a think as right time and right place.

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

stebo0728 wrote:He also ran the Kansas City Bank for a while, and did quite well. Obama voted what, twice, in his Senate position before starting his presidential run? Yah lots of experience there. If you put greater value in a "community organizer" than a multi-successful corporate executive, thats your imperative.
Jesus Christ, Stebo, you're a f*** bumper sticker. Stop posting before you've had time to come up with an argument from your own thoughts. I've put up with as much of it as I can.

Cold_Zero

Look, I am not going to defend President Obama. And to be honest, you can search my posts way back before he was elected where I draw out 'my concerns' about his experience. I was merely pointing out that President Obama had experience running an actual government through the Legislature of both his home State and this country. I am sorry if I hurt your feeling by coming down hard on 'your guy' but I still stick to my comments.

You actually think the President of the United States has that much control over our economy? And that electing a business minded President will solve all of our financial and economic woes? Especially one with no political experience? To be honest, I would suggest that the head of the Federal Reserve has more power to affect the United States’s economy than the President.

While Romney may have business experience, he also has administrative experience having been the Governor of Massachusetts. Not that I am voting for the guy. Where are the days when you joined your local school board, worked your way up through local to state and then state to federal government?

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

R/T Hemi wrote:I'd like to let the Tea baggers in on a little secret. They aren't helping the Republican party. They are dividing it instead of fixing it. To win, the Republicans need to find someone with superpowers who is willing to legalize topless sunbathing at all national parks.
You mean like Santorum?

http://www.spreadingsantorum.com/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blo ... _blog.html

stebo0728

Cold_Zero wrote:Look, I am not going to defend President Obama. And to be honest, you can search my posts way back before he was elected where I draw out 'my concerns' about his experience. I was merely pointing out that President Obama had experience running an actual government through the Legislature of both his home State and this country. I am sorry if I hurt your feeling by coming down hard on 'your guy' but I still stick to my comments.

You actually think the President of the United States has that much control over our economy? And that electing a business minded President will solve all of our financial and economic woes? Especially one with no political experience? To be honest, I would suggest that the head of the Federal Reserve has more power to affect the United States’s economy than the President.

While Romney may have business experience, he also has administrative experience having been the Governor of Massachusetts. Not that I am voting for the guy. Where are the days when you joined your local school board, worked your way up through local to state and then state to federal government?
Fair enough on the Obama defense, attacking Obama is not really the purpose of this thread anyway. I could say more to my estimation of his "political experience" but we'll leave that alone here.

I think the president has enough sway of issues involving the economy that it matters, I mean the economy is usually a large part of every campaign, especially when the economy is in peril.

I salute Romney's political experience, indeed his governor role adds to his viability. Again its too early to tell and I could be completely wrong, but I dont see Romney succeeding. If Romney does excel, I will most likely support him, most any of the possible candidates offer a positive alternative to the current administration in my estimation. Yes Cain is currently 'my guy' but I dont take offense at anything regarding him, or least I dont think I do. I see it as a chance to shed better light on him and his campaign. In the event he falls short, or in the event I see a better candidate, then I'll shed my Cain support. Until then he has my vote.

I dont know where you're glory days went, only that they have. Once a legislative body gets the taste of blood, theres no going back.

Cold_Zero

R/T Hemi wrote:I'd like to let the Tea baggers in on a little secret. They aren't helping the Republican party. They are dividing it instead of fixing it. To win, the Republicans need to find someone with superpowers who is willing to legalize topless sunbathing at all national parks.
'Winning' at any cost may not be their ultimate goal. It is probably the mentality that drove them to step up and speak out. The Republicans can stand to loose a few election cycles to make sure they purge the Bush Era spend, spend, spend Republicanism.

mixeds14
Car: 240

wait, cain was afther all a vietnam vet , but he wasnt even born inside the us, yet u want him as president. is there any good reasons y people would vote for him other than that?

Cold_Zero

Herman Cain... not John McCain.

mixeds14
Car: 240

Cold_Zero wrote:Herman Cain... not John McCain.
oopsss.. i always wonder y i stay away from politics... :gapteeth:

HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

Cold_Zero wrote:Honestly, I have to say that Obama had at least some political experiencing before becoming the President of the United States. He was a State Senator in Ill. and a US Senator. What has Herman Cain done? Run God Father's pizza? I resent the implication from Republicans that business and politics are directly related to each other. Not necessarily. While Herman Cain may have savvy business experience, I don’t think that necessarily qualifies you to be the head Executive branch of this country.

I knew I liked you.

He also supports reverting the United States to the gold standard, but he would face withering bipartisan resistance to this from anyone with much of an economics background. This might be popular with the base, but it would never fly in the general election.

Cain ran a Federal Reserve branch, which is certainly a credential to probably be a bright guy, but I don't see him as being a serious primary contender.

Honestly, Cain is popular because:

-He checks the boxes on all the policy positions (but so do some janitors and used car salesman, so this doesn't mean much)
-He's a brother
-His brain works (see: Sarah Palin 2008 for why this is important. Candidates need to be able to interview).

He's definitely not a bozo, but I don't think he can be POTUS.

EDIT: If Romney made it to the general election, he'll probably have my vote, unless he changes who he is to get there (see: McCain). I'm not sure any of the others have a shot, although Mitch Daniels might, not that I think he'll run.

Cold_Zero

Daniels is doing a lot if posturing, that is for sure.

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

Newt Gingrich was the only candidate to back away from Ryan's bad idea. Then he backtracked. How do y'all think that'll play next fall?

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

Hash, that's exactly why I'm not keen on Pawlenty. Evangelism aside, he was a moderate. Now he's McCained himself.

Cold_Zero

Not to be an evangelist for Gov. Mitch Daniels, but I dont see him pulling a McCain like other candidates.
HashiriyaS14 wrote: I knew I liked you.
I wish it were because of my good looks and charm, but who are we kidding.

Going back to my comment, not sure how this got left out in my editing, but... I was going to say at least Obama has experience, at the state level and federal level as a Senator, running a government for the legislative branch.

Cold_Zero

IBCoupe wrote:Hash, that's exactly why I'm not keen on Pawlenty. Evangelism aside, he was a moderate. Now he's McCained himself.
Issac,
I think you just came up with a trueism. "You just McCained yourself!"

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

Haha, I need to copyright that quick.

Return to “Politics Etc.”