BRAKE FLUID

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Can someone confirm this is the correct OEM fluid for my 2009 M35 please?

Iavoidedmakingthis
Car: '06 M35X

Brake fluid is standardized across all vehicles no real benefit to OEM. You can mix dot 3/4/5.1 but must make sure that you aren't mixing with dot 5.
I personally wouldn't recommend dot 3 for our cars. They're quite heavy meaning lots of heat will be generated in the brakes, and dot 4/5.1 are better for handling that.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

StopTech STR-660 is the proper brake fluid :chuckle:

DOT3 typically has a boiling point around 400 degrees F. You *can* find some that say they have a rating above 450, but it is rare.
DOT4 typically starts around a 500-550 degree rating, and often goes up to anywhere around 600 with better brands. STR-660 is the best DOT4 I know, and it actually has a 622F degree rating.

FiShEyEz
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35 S

Hello,
Just to add to what the other members have posted here, I agree about using DOT4 because of its higher boiling point. These cars are heavy and that builds up a lot of heat during braking. If you are having issues with warning rotors after 20-30k miles, consider finding brake parts that have a higher quality build. Some manufacturers engineer brake components to have more efficient cooling properties as well.

EdBwoy

Yes, it's the OEM-blessed part number.
I usually go with other equivalent Dot 3 fluids, which Nissan is OK with.

Larz

Thank you, all.
I doubt it's really necessary, but I always use the same fluids the car came with. Different companies use different additives and since nobody will reveal the additives they use, I stick to the Nissan branded fluids. Far as heat during braking, I live in one of the flattest states in the union so no long downhills. That leaves the lovely stop-n-go, choked surface roads. I chucked the factory rotors years ago for Brakemotive brand slotted / drilled rotors. They are much higher quality, with a beefier design, and less expensive since they don't have the mandatory Infiniti 50%^ markup in the price. When it's time for a brake job, I get a complete 4-wheel set of rotors, pads, and incidental parts for less than the cost of a single axle 'pads-only' job at the dealer so I get new rotors every two years. This is the second M, 4th set, and 7th year using Brakemotive without a single squeek or warp. They get chucked and replaced when the dealer reports the pads at '3' during my oil/filter change inspection.

Sodabiscut
Car: 2007 M45

Larz...Iv'e been shopping for new rotors for my 2007 M45. Trying to decide on slotted/drilled or standard. Do you hear any noise from them when braking or just going down the road? I have heard you will get some noise while braking due to air being pressed through the holes. Like a whistle noise. Also, do these Brakemotive have any rust protection? I hate it when they get rusted. Thanks!

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Sodabiscut wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:16 am
Do you hear any noise from them when braking or just going down the road? I have heard you will get some noise while braking due to air being pressed through the holes. Like a whistle noise. Also, do these Brakemotive have any rust protection? I hate it when they get rusted.
I ran several sets of Brakemotive rotors and pads on my '06 M45 and "13 M37 - don't remember any whistling, also don't remember excessive rusting over OEM. I also made sure to bed them in properly each time I changed them out. If there was any rust, then it was time for a little spirited driving and hard braking to clean 'em up.

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Sodabiscut wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:16 am
Also, do these Brakemotive have any rust protection? I hate it when they get rusted. Thanks!
You can also look at this thread: what-did-you-do-to-your-m-or-q-today-t4 ... rakemotive

My review of the install and the rotors and pads starts about midway down on the page. However, the pics when I made the post where from Photo"Suckit" (Photobucket) - they started charging to host photos, so I never transferred the pics to another service and then my M45 was hit from behind and totaled out - so no more HowTo's or product reviews for that ride....

Larz

I can't recall any of the member here who use Brakemotive reporting noise, rust, or warping. And since I buy a new kit every time the brake shoes wear down, the chance of rusting and warping is pretty much nill.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”