Blown motor M56. Worth it????

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Lou_ua6
Car: ???

Hi all. New to the forums so if I broke a rule or posted incorrectly please let me know.

So I came across a 2011 M56x with a blown motor.
Unfortunately I don’t have details as I’ll be seeing the car Sunday. The owner sucks with his communication but it is what it is.

I have checked looked all over the forums at the horror stories and of course thought maybe I’m in over my head, then again when your looking for horror stories they stand out.

I figured I could take it on as a project and rebuild the motor. Swap the major components and those responsible for most of the issues and have a pretty solid motor after the fact.

Looking for your thoughts on this. All opinions welcomed.

Also any tips on what to look for when I go check out the car would be great.

What would be deal breakers for you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Yoda's Master
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z

you probably need to change the entire motor. probably failed due to the hpfp lifter bucket failure and metal shavings everywhere.

Lou_ua6
Car: ???

Yoda's Master wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:41 pm
you probably need to change the entire motor. probably failed due to the hpfp lifter bucket failure and metal shavings everywhere.

After what I have read I’m thinking the same however would it worth it to tear it apart and resurface and rebuild ?

Yoda's Master
2009 370z

Lou_ua6 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:29 am
Yoda's Master wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:41 pm

After what I have read I’m thinking the same however would it worth it to tear it apart and resurface and rebuild ?
IDK. That is up to you. I don't think anyone makes aftermarket internals and idk how readily available oem internals are so you'll need to evaluate the value of rebuilding yourself. Also you didn't say how much the car is. I'd say buy it if it's dirt cheap. Worst thing is part out and make your money back.

Yoda's Master
2009 370z

if it's a sport model, then make sure the 4was is not broken. you should also check if the recall on the timing chain and drive shaft was accomplished.
You're also probably going to need to replace the rear subframe bushings. Lucky you, i have a guide right here: m56-rear-subframe-bushing-replacement-w ... 28995.html

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

Lou_ua6 wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:21 pm
Hi all. New to the forums so if I broke a rule or posted incorrectly please let me know.

So I came across a 2011 M56x with a blown motor.
Unfortunately I don’t have details as I’ll be seeing the car Sunday. The owner sucks with his communication but it is what it is.

I have checked looked all over the forums at the horror stories and of course thought maybe I’m in over my head, then again when your looking for horror stories they stand out.

I figured I could take it on as a project and rebuild the motor. Swap the major components and those responsible for most of the issues and have a pretty solid motor after the fact.

Looking for your thoughts on this. All opinions welcomed.

Also any tips on what to look for when I go check out the car would be great.

What would be deal breakers for you guys.

Thanks in advance.
The deal breaker would be a BLOWN MOTOR. If you do not have the technical skills or shop equipment or replacement parts, you won't be able to repair this engine. There are currently 0 used motors available on ebay. The dealer used to sell the motor for about 20K, not sure if they even offer it now. Trust me, I was in this situation last year and I tried everything to get my M56x up and running again. It just wasn't going to happen.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”