blinking light under Rev

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
frankie.mtz17
Car: 2003 Nissan 350Z

I just bought a 2003 350z and i just noticed that when I'm driving theres a little red light blinking under REV. it stays solid when I'm about to shift and turns off when I'm in 6th gear, its also off when I'm in neutral. i don't know what it means and whether i should be worried or not. I'm kinda worried already.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 240SX, '05 350Z, '13 Juke

The rev light is an alert that you can set to prompt you to shift to the next gear. Here's how you set it...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZK6dN-jboA[/youtube]
The guy in the video says it will flash when you are within 3000-4000 rpms of your preset point, it's actually 300-400 and it will stay solid when you are at or above your set point. In the video his rev light doesn't come on, I'm guessing he's got the gauge face & needle flashing instead with his custom gauge setup.

Welcome to NICO! :badger

frankie.mtz17

thanks! i just have to take it to nissan because that gauge nothings showing up its just blank... :(

BusyBadger

Do you mean the multifunction gauge in the triple pod on the dash? Here's a post from someone that had the same problem and my response.

EDIT: Here's a link to NICO's 350Z Factory Service Manuals. Even if you don't intend to do any work on your own it's a great reference to have and can actually help you troubleshoot some problems on your own. You'll want to skip right to the DI chapter if you want to get started on your gauge problem.

frankie.mtz17

thank you so much for your help!! ill for sure check out the fuse tomorrow before going to the dealership,

frankie.mtz17

this might sound like a stupid question but would it be the fuse box inside or the one in the engine bay?? and if its the inside one would it be 10A saying Elec Parts??

BusyBadger

Inside the cabin in the footwell, the one to the left of the driver's left foot.

There's a diagram on the back of the cover, I think the fuse you're after is marked "meter", but I could be wrong.

Good luck! Let us know what you find.

frankie.mtz17

i changed the fuses but nothing happened. but also realized that theres a problem with the other gauges. they're the same once i turn on the car every time.

frankie.mtz17

BusyBadger

I'm kind of at a loss now, sorry. :(

I've done some online research and here's what I have come up with. There is a central cpu that controls all three gauges, I suppose there could be a problem with that. Also, I've seen some reports of people with an aftermarket stereo not getting everything connected back up after installation and running into some problems with the triple pod gauges.

I do have a couple of other questions though...

Was your car running when you took that pic? I ask because one of the tests I tell people to try when they're worried about their oil pressure gauge going bad is to turn the car so that the gauges are on but the engine isn't running, if the oil pressure gauge goes anywhere there's a problem since there should be zero oil pressure. Also, your voltmeter reading is well below normal (if the car is running, if it's off it looks normal) , this is normally the sign of either a bad battery or a failing (failed) alternator.

Both of these issues could very well be related to the other gauge issue, whatever it may be, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of both potential issues.

frankie.mtz17

Sorry for the confusion, I just want to get this fixed :(

The car wasn't running in the picture. But the voltage gauge does go up once its on but the oil pressure stays the same. The car doesn't have an aftermarket stereo. All stock

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

Funny story, I had friend have a similar problem when he bought his 350. The three center gauge pods were not responsive at all. Turns out they weren't even connected from behind.

The owner before him had an aftermarket head unit that he probabaly wanted taken out to either sell or install in his new car.

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

dasoupdude wrote:Funny story, I had friend have a similar problem when he bought his 350. The three center gauge pods were not responsive at all. Turns out they weren't even connected from behind.

The owner before him had an aftermarket head unit that he probabaly wanted taken out to either sell or install in his new car.
This was my suspicion. lol

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”