Auto Transmission - Manual mode issue

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
joeangel

Hi everyone. I've seen a fair amount of posts on the G35 Automatic Transmission manual mode not working. It looks like most of these are resolved by replacing the shifter assembly. In fact, this problem surfaced on my 05 G35 Sedan. I took it to the dealership and they confirmed I needed a shifter assembly. This is a somewhat expensive part so I'm wondering, does anyone know what exactly in the assembly fouls up? There are a few switches to indicate when the shifter is placed in manual and also for up and down shift. I'm wondering if one of the switches gets weak are starts to go out. it would seem to be a relatively easy fix to replace a switch rather than the entire assembly.Any feedback or ideas or stores are greatly appreciated.

J

P.S. The problem occurs when you place the shifter in manual. Then the display continues to read "D" or it goes back to "D" after a moment or two. At this point it will no longer go back into manual into the car has been restarted.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Welcome to NICO! poster!

I've heard that the problem is with the physical position of the shifter...

Hang tight for some of our techs to chime in!

joeangel

Does anyone have any information on this? I'm trying not to replace the entire shifter assembly. I really hope there is an individual component or part that can be repaired / replaced.

suby01
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35x

i dont know much about the 05 G. but on my 07 it was a transmission sensor that had to be replaced twice. few hours of labor covered under warranty.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Ideally you might want to think about replacing the shift. Since if it happens once there is a great chance it will do it again and you might not be able to force it back in line.

If it were my car I would remove the 4 10mm bolts holding the shifter assy in place. Once it's our put the car in neutral and run the bolts in. This "should" keep the shifter assembly straight while resecuring it. That might work...it might not on the same note. But it would be worth a shot. If the bolt holes do not line up when the car is in neutral your linkage might actually be bent out of line.

Good Luck.

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

this is not a common issue that I have ever heard about.

Some people have had issues with having the shifter stuck between D and manual mode but not common where the Manual mode stops working. The only time I had that issues was on a dyno - Trans fluid temps getting hot will cause this.

How long has it been since you did a trans fluid flush??

lkp730
Car: EX35 RWD

Sorry to revive an old thread, but did you find a fix to this issue?? I am experiencing the same issue with my 2008 EX35. Manual mode is no longer functioning, and I am out of warranty. The cost of the shifter assembly is too high for my budget, so if there is any way to fix this, please let me know. This problem occurs when my engine is cold or hot so I ruled out the possibility of this being an issue with the transmission oil. I have seen/heard a LOT of other G35/EX35 owners experiencing this problem, but most have been lucky enough to have this happen with their cars still under warranty.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Here's a thread where resolutions are discussed:

2003-g35-auto-transmission-shifter-stuc ... 85809.html

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”