Any Palestinians on NICO?

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
bigbadberry3

Looking for your input on how Romney devalued your culture (IMO, also I'm not Jewish or Palestinian).

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

Also, Mexicans and Ecuadorans.
NBC Latino wrote:Mitt Romney is being criticized for remarks he made equating cultural differences to economic success after he contrasted Israel and Palestine. Palestinians were quick to rebuke him for his comments. Not nearly as much attention has been paid to the other countries that were included in the comparison.

“Culture makes all the difference,” Romney said. “And as I come here and I look out over this city and consider the accomplishments of the people of this nation, I recognize the power of at least culture and a few other things.”

Romney added that this cultural difference is reflected in the G.D.P per capita of Israel compared to Palestine and other neighboring countries as well.

“And that is also between other countries that are near or next to each other. Chile and Ecuador, Mexico and the United States,” he said.

Some say the inclusion of Mexico and Ecuador, particularly the U.S. neighbor, which is a big trading partner, is a foreign policy flub.

“His comparison is basically saying Palestine is like Mexico and Israel is the United States,” says Kristian Ramos, policy director of the 21st Century Border Initiative at NDN/New Policy Institute. “Mexico’s economy is growing faster than Brazil’s. And its middle class is growing exponentially right now. He went to bolster his foreign policy credentials, but to insult our third largest trading partner is mind-blowing.”

bigbadberry3

IBCoupe wrote:Also, Mexicans and Ecuadorans.
NBC Latino wrote:Mitt Romney is being criticized for remarks he made equating cultural differences to economic success after he contrasted Israel and Palestine. Palestinians were quick to rebuke him for his comments. Not nearly as much attention has been paid to the other countries that were included in the comparison.

“Culture makes all the difference,” Romney said. “And as I come here and I look out over this city and consider the accomplishments of the people of this nation, I recognize the power of at least culture and a few other things.”

Romney added that this cultural difference is reflected in the G.D.P per capita of Israel compared to Palestine and other neighboring countries as well.

“And that is also between other countries that are near or next to each other. Chile and Ecuador, Mexico and the United States,” he said.

Some say the inclusion of Mexico and Ecuador, particularly the U.S. neighbor, which is a big trading partner, is a foreign policy flub.

“His comparison is basically saying Palestine is like Mexico and Israel is the United States,” says Kristian Ramos, policy director of the 21st Century Border Initiative at NDN/New Policy Institute. “Mexico’s economy is growing faster than Brazil’s. And its middle class is growing exponentially right now. He went to bolster his foreign policy credentials, but to insult our third largest trading partner is mind-blowing.”
Didn't catch that one, thanks.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

What did Romney say to devalue the Palestinian culture? Is it just in the text above, or was there something else?

bigbadberry3

Eikon wrote:What did Romney say to devalue the Palestinian culture? Is it just in the text above, or was there something else?
Romney compared the GDP per capita of Israel vs Palestine and stated that Israel's was better due to a better culture and society.

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

Eikon wrote:What did Romney say to devalue the Palestinian culture? Is it just in the text above, or was there something else?
Off-topic: You got a BRZ? Jelly.

Now I want that FR-S I drove even more. I need to stop noticing things.

bigbadberry3

IBCoupe wrote: Off-topic: You got a BRZ? Jelly.

Now I want that FR-S I drove even more. I need to stop noticing things.
i-put-a-deposit-down-on-a-new-car-today-t551918.html

Eikon

I'm sure the fact that Palestine is a fledgeling nation that has been under occupation and embargo for decades has nothing to do with their current economic status... What a moron!

Now, if I were working in his camp I would say that his statement was misinterpreted. He clearly meant to offer kudos to the Israeli people for their success in building a strong economy in a region of the world that offers little to no natural resources to aid in the process. If you were to look at the list of the top nations in per capita income, clearly Israel is the outlier when it comes to resources.. unless you count US foreign aid. So I can see his point.. I think he was just a moron in how he made that point.

Eikon

not to continue the tangent too much further.. but yes.. I love my BRZ!

I went to a "Cars and Coffee" meet in Cleveland yesterday. I was completely shocked by the attention I got. There were half a dozen Ferraris, a couple vipers, a bunch of Porsche 911's, a Maserati, three Nissan GTR's, etc.. Even amongst that crowd there were a ton of people looking at my BRZ and the FRS that I parked next to. It was neat! I'm not saying people liked it better than those other cars.. but it was at least getting equal attention.. I bet the guys who spent $100k plus on their cars were a little pissed at the $25k car getting the looks. I'm sure that will change in a while after they get more popular and people see more of them.. but for now, it's neat.

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

I'm going to continue the tangent in the thread B-cubed posted.

Return to “Politics Etc.”