Any 2009 Murano Problems?

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Maybe a funny question here, but does anyone have any issues they are having with their 2009 Murano? Usually with a redesigned or new model there tend to be more quirks and issues, but I have not seen or heard of much. I have had mine since July, the only issue I had was a "warped" pillar interior trim piece. It was like that since the day we picked it up. It took a few weeks for the new trim piece to come in, but it was a quick and easy fix by our dealer. Other than that, no problems at all. Anyone that has has any issues, please post them here.

KJSmitty
Car: 2009 LE

Greetings Mr. Timmbo,

The only issue we have had with the wife's 2009 MO/LE is the rims were "stained" from either Nissan Japan/shipment or at the dealership. Dealer/prep guys swear they didn't do it but either-way they replaced all four rims and all is well. The only other item was tire vibration - I mention this because I know the topic came up before. However, all was remedied when they installed the new rims and properly balanced the tires.

Cheers

Strasserider
Car: 09 Nissan Murano SL (soon) 2004 Volvo V70, 2000 Honda Accord

Hey Guys (Tough loss to the ViQueens on Sunday),

Anyway; 1086 miles on the 09 SL Murano on third and half tank of gas with about 20.5 mpg, with these issues:

1. Rear Seat Squeak, must be the leather seats, have not narrowed it down yet

2. Front drivers side wheel rim quarter panel and adjoining bottom bumper panel off set. Push it back in place but pops out. It's only about 3 mm but if you look close you can tell its not set right

3. What is up with the display panel. I have the Ipod plugged in Video/Audio and the car is in park but no video, oh well the audio works great!!

4. I thought that a CD played in the CD player would show text; band name and song name, not!

5. Rear automatic tailgate, no safety feature closes even if their is an obstacle in the way? I tried it and it won't stop unless it meets pressure i.e. no sensor to detect things in the way.

6. Plastic at the interior driver/passenger doors mark easily, quick clean up does the trick. Thicker scuff proof plastic would work here.

7. Engine still is burning off the protective coating so that smells a little.

The Good outway these "small" imperfections.

Have a great Day!

Timmbo

Here are some ideas for you....

3. The display will only show anything if the vehicle is in Park AND the E-Brake is on.

4. Yeah, I think the display is a bit limited because of the Ipod integration. My Armada has the exact same display and unit and it displays all the info, but my Armada does not have the Ipod integration.

6. Use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser!!!!! My wife gets her heel marks all over and they wipe right off effortlessly.

ENJOY THE NEW RIDE!

Strasserider

#3 Tried the parking brake and shifter in Park, no luck. Going to Nissan Next Week, no video. Engine off and on...........

#4 I can live with that

#6 Works like a charm

The squeaks are the leather seats rubbing against the interior molding, a little baby powder works

How is every-one's back-up camera handling the winter weather, i clean mine off before driving to get off the grim from the road

Is their a web-site for a 4 button key fob protector, my tailgate opens with out me knowing about it

Thanks!

Timmbo

Here is the link to the fob jacket that a member posted in the Murano Forum a few weeks ago.

http://www.thejacketstore.com/...ories

Musky300
Car: 2009 Murano LE

Have owned my 2009 Murano for 6+ months and put over 7000 miles on it so far. Here are the significant problems I've had with my vehicle:

- Whistling sound within specific RPM band upon acceleration. This is a shared problem amongst many 2009 owners and the whistle sound can be loud and VERY annoying. I struggled with mine for months and finally after 3 trips to 2 different dealerships did I get the problem addressed. While still not completley gone, it is 95% better which I will have to accept. This issue is traced back to the throttle body and how it is centered onto the intake. The gasket used also plays a part in it.

- Those with the Navigation system do not have the ability to view Artist / Song Title on the main display screen when using XM satellite service WITHOUT having to manually push the "Text" button. The Artist / Song apparently appear automatically on non-Navi systems...so why not on the display with Nav? It is nice to be able to know the song on the radio without having to push a button everytime...also annoying.

- There does appear to be quite a few squeaks / rattles coming from the cabin. Many have commented on this issue. I have several...most notable from center of dash, under the dash, and in the door lining. Had the dealer look at one of these as well with no fix. For a $40k vehicle, the fit and finish seems excellent, but this part is disappointing.

- My steering wheel transmits a nasty little vibration when ideling in park. Not sure if this is an isolated case with my specific vehicle, but it immediately goes away with the slightest gas...and is worse than my other 3 vehicles, none of which is in the class or price of the Murano...not to mention they are all 7+ years old.

- Navigation system disables many functions when driving, thus defeating the purpose of having a GPS system to use when driving sometimes. I know this is a safety feature and not really a "problem", but thought I'd mention it.

That may seem like a lot, but i'm pretty picky. The only real bad one was/is the whistle, which I know some others have faced, but since there does appear to be a fix for it, it may be excusable. Also the steering wheel vibration for me is curiously raising my eyebrow.

Other than that, I truly love this vehicle and actually look forward to any trip in it where I know I'll be behind the wheel for more than 15 minutes.

laurin1
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD Silver

Spell Check

Select from suggested replacement words below.

Your Text »
Musky300 wrote:Have owned my 2009 Murano for 6+ months and put over 7000 miles on it so far. Here are the significant problems I've had with my vehicle:

Only 6k miles? Geez, I drive a lot. I've had mine since March and have almost 20K.
Musky300 wrote: - Whistling sound within specific RPM band upon acceleration. This is a shared problem amongst many 2009 owners and the whistle sound can be loud and VERY annoying. I struggled with mine for months and finally after 3 trips to 2 different dealerships did I get the problem addressed. While still not completely gone, it is 95% better which I will have to accept. This issue is traced back to the throttle body and how it is centered onto the intake. The gasket used also plays a part in it.

Glad to hear it wasn't just me. I am going to talk to them about it the next time I take it into service.
Musky300 wrote: - Those with the Navigation system do not have the ability to view Artist / Song Title on the main display screen when using XM satellite service WITHOUT having to manually push the "Text" button. The Artist / Song apparently appear automatically on non-Navi systems...so why not on the display with Nav? It is nice to be able to know the song on the radio without having to push a button everytime...also annoying.

I've never had a satellite system that does this. In fact, I'm used to Sirius radios, where the DJ's will even scroll additional info on your screen, like phone numbers and football scores. This is very low tech and cheap looking.
Musky300 wrote: - There does appear to be quite a few squeaks / rattles coming from the cabin. Many have commented on this issue. I have several...most notable from center of dash, under the dash, and in the door lining. Had the dealer look at one of these as well with no fix. For a $40k vehicle, the fit and finish seems excellent, but this part is disappointing.

Same here, but not too bad.
Musky300 wrote: - My steering wheel transmits a nasty little vibration when ideling in park. Not sure if this is an isolated case with my specific vehicle, but it immediately goes away with the slightest gas...and is worse than my other 3 vehicles, none of which is in the class or price of the Murano...not to mention they are all 7+ years old.

Don't seem to have this problem.
Musky300 wrote: - Navigation system disables many functions when driving, thus defeating the purpose of having a GPS system to use when driving sometimes. I know this is a safety feature and not really a "problem", but thought I'd mention it.

OMG, yes, this is soooooo annoying. My buddy that owns a custom auto shop says they have override switches that will tell the whole panel that they vehicle is in park and e-brake is on, but the last time I checked, one wasn't out for this year/model. At least on my Garmin, I can turn these "safety" features off.

One other thing, is my radio presets act up at times. One particular channel, once I scroll to it, it stays on the channel, but the preset is no longer "selected" on the screen, and so the next time I scroll, it starts from the top, skipping any further presets. Also, I can't scroll up past it, unless I scroll fast enough to not let it stop on that preset.

Mine is an LE AWD, fully loaded, silver (pics posted in this forum.) All in all, I LOVE this vehicle. It is so fun to drive and so comfortable on long trips, not too mention feels so safe in bad weather. I feel like this is by far one of the best all around vehicles available today.

nosliwad
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano

We had vibration noise when driving at highway speed. The roof rack was warped on the driver's side and once it was replaced we had no more noise. We also had a recall on a transmission sensor.

Timmbo

nosliwad wrote:We had vibration noise when driving at highway speed. The roof rack was warped on the driver's side and once it was replaced we had no more noise. We also had a recall on a transmission sensor.
Welcome to NICOclub! Happy Holidays from the Murano Forum! Thanks for your feedback.

stroup
Car: 09 Murano LE

I have had 09 LE since around 1st of March and have almost 14,000 miles on it.

Several issues:

- Windshield wiper fluid "occassionally" works on the front. Nissan swears they are normal but I am taking it back AGAIN tomorrow due to it not working half of the weekend.

-major alignment and tire issues. Every time they touch the car after service it pulls left horribly. Re-balanced, re-aligned, fixed tire pressure .... still pulls left.

-stereo sound just stopped working completely today. Nothing works, no bluetooth sound, no cd, no ipod, no radio, no satellite.

-rattle in front dash. (turn up stereo enough you can't hear it!)

-satellite does weird things every now and then with saved stations. you move through the presets and you'll it will update all 6 with the first you were on. Turn car off and back on, wholla - it's fixed.

- warning: no black interior if you have kids .. shows every bit of dirt!

Overall I have enjoyed the car ... after the stereo thing today I am thinking of a 2008 Acura MDX though.....................................

Timmbo

Cheers stroup from the Murano Forum! Glad to have you as a member of NICOclub!

Sorry to hear about your problems, best thing I can tell you is those are all minor problems that the dealer can take care of for you (minus the interior). I must say you have had some bad luck, because that is quite the list. I only buy tan interior now with kids, it is way easier to keep clean. Trust me though, you don't want an MDX over the Murano, I test drove the MDX a few times, and it didn't compare to the Murano, especially once you factor in the price. You will be happy once your problems are fixed, every new vehicle has it's fair share of "issues". Good luck and keep in touch!

stroup

- verdict on the speaker issue ... Bose Amp shorted out. New one ordered...

spastic
Car: Murano 09 SL

Just today, the rear hatch latch was fixed because the screws holding it down weren't torqued down enough....it was loose, causing a rattling sound in back. I'm sure this ain't a widespread problem, just me with this car.

Heating system.....if you ask for 70 degrees, you will get a blast of hot air until the temp inside is 70 degrees. That's how it appears to work for me. Once it hits that temp, the air coming out of the blower moderates. Weird....and uncomfortable IMO.

Defrosting windows turns on the AC? Shouldn't this be warm air?

Stock Bose system (no nav.) way too bright .... too much hi frequency push. Had to go aftermarket. Stick your ear over the dash speakers and see what I mean. Awful.

Idle shaking. Me too, but just a little bit.

Despite these issues, my final verdict is a big .

riderman
Car: 97 Q45 2009 Murano SL

[Defrosting windows turns on the AC? Shouldn't this be warm air?.[/QUOTE]

This is normal. The AC acts like a dehumidifier, taking out moisture. Turn the temp up to the temperature desired. It works GREAT.

Try defrosting with just warm air, with the AC off (just push the AC button to turn off the AC) vrs leaving it on. Depending on the weather, there usually is a big difference. Your windows will defrost faster with the AC on.

Botom line, let the AC stay on until the windows are defrosted.

GM used to call this feature years ago "Climate Control". This feature seems to be standard now on most vehicles.

Also, as a side note, during cool high humidity or rainy day's, turn the AC on, and set to the temperature desired OR switch to outside air, not recirculate. This will help in keeping your windows de-fogged.

Jaun
Car: 2009 Murano LE, Nav, Leather, SR

As far as the AC goes... When you have the windshied defroster on, the AC stays on no matter what I push and no matter the temperature! Probably the only real annoyance I've found in The LE. On my 04 Pathfinder LE, the AC would come on only if the outside temp was above a threshhold temperature and was selectable. On my 09 Murano LE there's no way to have the defrost on without the AC.

Oh... the other isssue (unrelated) is that when the temperature is below about 40 the sunroof shade sticks on opening. I tood it to the dealer (but as the care warmed up while waiting - it worked fine). I have to try on a cold morning and get there very early

Other than that it's a super car!

christypgh
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE

Can you please provide the details as to exactly how the dealership repaired the whistling noise. I was told it was a engineering flaw and would be forwarded for a fix to corporate. They heard the sound and were able to replicate but not able to figure out a repair. It drives me crazy that I have a $40,000 vehicle that whistles as you drive down the road.

I also have another MAJOR issue. I now have 15000 miles on the vehicle and there are still no other tire options for the vehicle. It is horrible in the snow and even in heavy rain. I could not go above 50mph during a heavy rain. All makes of cars and trucks were passing me. I also have had multiple incidents in the snow. This is the third Murano I have owned and NEVER had a problem in the past. I know it is the tires. They are a horrible rating for an SUV/crossover vehicle. This is not a sports convertible. Replacement cost is $329.00. I am down to 3/32 and in previous models got at least 30,000 miles on previous 18's. Anyone else having any issues yet?
Modified by christypgh at 7:50 PM 1/13/2009

christypgh

MAJOR issue with the 20" tires and no other options for replacement. I drive for a living and am a mom of 2 small children and drive accordingly. I need new tires after 15000 miles. This is my third Murano and have never had such bad wear from a set of tires and poor handling in rain/snow. I am still waiting for a response from the dealership and also from corporate. The tires cost $329.00 to replace. I will pay good money for tires if I am going to get the miles out of them. I have no confidence in this vehicle in the Pittsburgh, PA winter weather. I never had any past problems with previous Muranos.

I also have the whistling issue listed below and am waiting a response from the posting to take to the dealership to advise them on how to repair. Now isn't that sad???

A $40,000 SUV that whistles and does not drive well in the snow and rain...Otherwise I love it but kicking myself now for getting a new car payment with these issues.

Timmbo

First off, welcome to NICOclub! It is a pleasure having you here in the Murano Forum!

Sorry to hear about the issues. I know I have seen the "whistling" issue posted here before. Here is the thread related to the issue:

zerothread/334667

Towards the end of the posts another Murano owner had the Throttle Chamber replaced and that was the problem. I would mention that to the dealer to have the problem rectified. I have yet to have this happen to my '09 LE, but that is what I would suggest.

I am a bit shocked that your tires are that bad already, I have 15k on my Murano, and they still look new, I would expect about 30,000 or a little more out of them. The Murano is my wife's primary vehicle, and she says it handles awesome in the snow, she used to have an '03 Murano, and an AWD '05 G35x. We also have VDC on ours, which helps as well. Maybe you are getting more winter traction as a result of the prematurely worn tires. Not sure why they would wear so soon. I know there was a gentleman that claimed the dealer tossed in a set of Toyo winter tires, however, I don't recall a Toyo winter tire that size being available.

christypgh

First of all thank you for the info on the website about the whistle noise. I took the posting to the dealership and they researched through the company to learn there was a notice in Nov 2008 regarding this noise. They have ordered the replacement gasket and parts and will hopefully resolve the issue.

I also now have a brand new set of tires due to the early wear and received approval for replacement. Hopefully they will come out with another option by the time these need to be replaced.

So my issues should be resolved and kudos to my dealership for excellent service.

stroup

How did you approach the dealer regarding the tire issue? I have about 14K on mine and they show significant wear. I don't think they are going to make it to 30K .. how many miles when you got approved for replacement?

Also, question:

When I turn on my heat to floor ... I get heat out of the left driver vent and also it seems out of the defrost vents more so than the floor? Anyone have this or is mine just weird? Always drove Fords and when you selected FLOOR, it came out of the floor.

I agree the A/C button always turning itself on is annoying at best.

thanks for any info ...

christypgh

I first contacted the dealership on 12/19/08 to follow up on the whistle noise which I knew there probably was not an answer. Then I went to the tire issue. I first inquired to see if they have come out with any other tires for this vehicle and if there were any snow tires. They researched and informed me they had not. I had 2 recommendations at this point to either adjust the tire size slightly to a more common size or put 18"wheels on there for me since no other options. They of course did not approve of adjusting tire size due to making the VDC not work properly and messing up the alignment and speedometer. At this point I was left hanging and just frustrated. I later in the day I was not going to accept this answer.

I then spoke to the Service Manager and he was totally unaware of wither issue. It was right before the holidays and he was going to contact their rep and a contact in the engineering department and would probably hear back after the New Year. I then called and left 2 voicemails and indicated I sent an e-mail to corporate as well. He called me right back and apologized for not getting back to me. He asked me to bring it in at my convenience for them to take a look at the wear and check the alignment.

I took a copy of this blog showing the resolution for the whistling noise and they were appreciative of me doing their research. I told them I just wanted it resolved. When I took it in today, we test drove it in a snowy parking lot and he determined it was definitely not handling. There was slight cupping on the tires and I had already had the tires aligned in July when they were trying to figure out the whistling noise. The alignment was slightly out of the acceptable parameters and there was no sign of any impacts. He then contacted his engineering contact who is always wanting info about new vehicles and any issues. The Service Manager stood up for me in that I am a good customer and previous Murano owner and he approved the 4 new tires. I was shocked and so happy. That would have been about 1200.00. He also gave his techs the blog info and they said they could not just go off of a blog to repair the car. That is when they researched within the company and found a notice from November 2008 and have ordered the parts without question.

I first noticed the horrible traction at about 15,000 miles which is probably when we had our first bit of snow. I have owned 2 other Murano's all purchased from the same dealership and explained I have always gotten at least 30,000 miles out of those which were of course 18" wheels. I then pushed the fact there were no other options and no other options when purchasing the LE. I even told them that I was not comfortable transporting my 2 small children in the vehicle which was a shame being what kind of vehicle I purchased. Those were my main points of contingency. I did not get angry or cry(as my brother who is a tech for Lexus) thought I would of. I just stuck to the facts and was stern. This is a $40,000 car. The Service Manager treated me with respect and appreciation for how I handled the matter. It was also helpful that I did this research and knew the answers before they confirmed them. I was not just a dumb girl coming in complaining about a noise and old tires. Hope this helps.

Also--a friend of mine who works in the industry also went online and researched the cost and it appears the treadwear is about 20,000 miles. That is what happens when you get into the larger wheels and high performance tires. Lexus even puts a disclaimer on their window stickers for people not to expect to get more than 12000 miles. I also know that they have warrantied tires before as well.

I believe he was able to do this for me since they did not wear evenly based on the alignment and it was not due to my driving. If the alignment would have been fine, they would have referred it on to the tire manufacturers warranty and then they would have turned it back on the dealer since they purchased the tires and you did not purchase directly from the manufacturer. It is a catch 22.

Hope that info helps and just remember that customer satisfaction is huge for Nissan at least for the dealership I deal with which is not even the closest one to me.

christypgh

And in follow up to your questions about the floor vents, I have not noticed any issues with that and I typically keep the temperature on automatic and just shut off the AC button. I agree that is annoying. Is the car company teamed up with the oil industry or what?

Musky300
Car: 2009 Murano LE

I spent a week in upstate NY last month with my 2009 Murano LE, during which time I encountered 18" of snow. I was extremely impressed with how capable this vehicle and the stock tires performed, especially for being 20" All-seasons.

I am not doubting those who have problems, but my experience is that the tires, along with the AWD, VDC, etc...produce an incredibly sure-footed SUV in adverse weather and road conditions.

christypgh

First of all I drive for a living and am not afraid of rain and snow but when you can not go above 50mph in the rain on the highway without feeling like waterskiing and every type of vehicle imaginable is passing you something is wrong. My complaint was not about the ability of the tires but the fact that they were done at 15,000 miles and there are no other options for tires. It does not matter what kind of tire you are running, if it is down to 3/32's you are not going to handle in the snow. And that was even reiterated by the Service Manager today. And this is my THIRD Murano and love the car.

Timmbo

NICE WORK CHRISTY!!!! I am glad NICOclub helped them resolve your whistling problem. That is what we are here for you, and I am SOOOO glad you are getting new tires, that is awesome service from both Nissan and the dealer. Hopefully you don't have the same wear issue. Enjoy the ride!

On another note, I cannot seem to find any issues with the vents on my Murano, everything seems to be working properly.

Timmbo

By the way, the Nissan Service Bulletin # for the whistling issue is: NTB08104

madmiker13

Did the rim stains consist of a blackish smudging that almost looked like the coating on the rims was wearing off? My dealership just replaced my rims on my 09 LE because of the above mentioned staining.

nosliwad
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano

Transmission is making funny noise. Sounds like it's in low gear when it's not. It may be related to the recall we had earlier in the year. Will keep you posted after dealer looks at it.

Strasserider

nosliwad: are you sure you have not pressed the overdrive button on the gear shifter?

Anyone have issues with the exterior door handle chrome bubbling up i.e. corrosion?

I have both my rear door handles rusting top and bottom........

I will keep you posted, the Blue Beast goes in on Monday and I think my German mechanic is clueless.....I had to reset/set the maintenance light computer on my last visit.

Return to “Murano Forum”