another swap idea... TPI

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
drewhenderson13
Car: 96 ford mustang gt, 98 chevy s-10

pay attention.

i didnt say they dont make parts for the lt1 i said they dont make as many.

gen 1 sbcs have more aftermarket parts support than any other engine ever made.

that 383 they built had stock heads. they built it to be a sleeper.

you can make power like that with stock displacement and aftermarked heads and cam.

o wait... you cant put a high lift high duration cam in a tpi. sorry i forgot.

lt1s were a failed design. it was gms attempt to step up to new technology, computer controled ignition, and reverse coolant flow. but neiter worked so they stoped using that design. all other parts of it are similar enough to gen 1 sbcs that they can be salvaged for modified engines. but why waste the time?

i think you forget to add that when lt1s make bigh power they junk the opti unit for something improved. like a modified aftermarket opti (still junk) or coil pacs.

tpis on the other hand are simple multi point fuel injection. their design is superior to lt1s in every way.

you stuck your foot in your mouth with that super chevy quote. so give up. your wrong.

i know too many people who own lt1s and hate them. ive also known a couple people who owned tpis and they never complained.

and once again you make no sense when you say a lt1 is easier to work on. im pretty sure theres a lot more people that can work on gen 1 sbcs with distributors than there are people who can easily work on LTs with opti units.

drewhenderson13

wow! a whole 650hp! thats awsome!

a sbc should make way more power than that. he may have used those heads you refrenced but he has more work than that done to it.

dont be talkin about some 650hp drag car... thats lame

if your just talkin about making it into the 10s... gmhightech had an article on a white 3rd gen formula that ran 9s for under $10,000. the article isnt on the website anymore but i still have the magazine.

that $10,000 was including cost of car. and the car looked beautiful too, flawless actually, it wasnt some rust bucket. he used new parts and such... not used junkyard stuff.

it was 100% streetable as well. it wasnt just a drag car.

Z28ricer
Car: Cars

Obviously you still havent owned one yourself, or worked on either, you are spouting a bunch of bs and wasting my time.

As far as working on it being easier you havent worked on either obviously, but heres an fyi for you, the tpi intake to change the injectors you have to completely disassemble the runners and plenum from it to be able to remove the fuel rail, this requires removing 8 bolts from the upper plenum along with disconnecting the connections to the throttle body, which is the easy part, then the runners each have about 7 or 8 bolts each, with one of them coming from the inside and pointing out, the rear one being quite buried, its a very tedious job, then reassembling it requires you to put the whole thing back together loose until all bolts are in then tightening all the bolts otherwise you'll end up with some that you cant get in, its quite a pain, but hey they're awesome setups.

That process is also required for replacement of the EGR valve.

For comparison LT1 fuel rail removal, remove 4 bolts, unplug injectors, done...

Swap the lower half ? LT1 is without water passages in the intake manifold, remove the intake on your precious tpi engine and chances are you'll end up with water in the oil requiring an oil change.

I can change the intake gaskets on an LT1 equipped thirdgen f body in less time than you can wash and dry an suv, i'll bet you couldnt get a TPI apart in the time it takes to wash and dry two suv's....

drewhenderson13

your assuming a whole lot when it comes to my mechanical abilities. you try to act like i cant work on cars because youve run out of information.

you sound like an uneducated chode who can use a search engine to make his statement have a little sense to them.

opti units need replacement more often than injectors do. have you ever replaced an opti unit on a car that came equiped with an lt1 (4th gen fbodys)? its a much more tedious task than taking apart anything on the top end.

bet either way. mechanical ABILITY is beside the point.

Z28ricer
Car: Cars

4th gen f body's suck to work on, what do i care about replacing an opti in one ? Have you ever replaced one in a thirdgen f body ? Put your money where your mouth is, yet again i'm calling you out but you wont put up, but for some reason you wont shut up either.

Since your so awesome at spinning wrenches, and LT1's suck so badly, when your ready to place a bet, you swap the distributor in a thirdgen TPI f body, and i'll swap the Optispark...

drewhenderson13

your a ****ing idiot. come up to ky and ill show you what we do to posers like you. little bishez runnin stock *** cars. you cant work on ****. if you knew what you were doing you wouldnt own a lt1. the only people that praise lt1s are idiots who dont know what their talking about. you think youl call me out? ill call you out *****. get ur *** up to ky.

lt1s didnt even come in 3rd gens. lets make it easier to work on a tpi and put one in a full size truck so we can reach everything better!

ill put my c*** where your mouth is *****

drewhenderson13

quit talking like an idiot and acting like either of us is going to make the drive.

if you feel like it then be my guest

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

Ehh LT1's are nice, not as much punh as a LS right out of the box but theres many many many parts out there for building them up nice.

TPI, LT1, LS, Carb they are all nice and can be built up nice.

If you wanted a crossfire engine I would shoot you, thats about the onlything to stay clear of.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Enough negativity...we're done. Either assist or STFU from this point on. I've worked on and tinkered with TBI and TPI 350's since oh...93, slow...no. What the hell is wrong with stump pulling torque from 1800 to 5000 rpm? How about nothing!!!

For fvcks sake, are we saying that the 350 from the late 80's to the mid 90's was simply junk? Jesus...that makes me wanna throw up in my mouth. We're talking about swapping a 2.4 KA out for a motor that will make over 300 ft lbs of "Q" with a set of headers. Tell me how that's going slower? Match that with the 408 gears the 240 already has and you have quite the fun little car to drive.

Is the LS a better motor...fvcking DUH...It's ALL new. But that doesn't mean we ALL have to use it.

Go out and find a deal on used heads, get some nice headers and a cam that is designed to make power down low, hell get one for towing.

No more of this "won't work" or "won't make power" crap. Tell that to all the Camaro guys since the early 90's. Are they usually wicked fast? No...but they're wicked fun.

For the record Drew, I think it's a great swap. If you ever wanna gain some decent power for less money, I can assist in adding a single turbo. Even a remote mount kit would gen up some really nice numbers.

WD

drewhenderson13

a turbo tpi in a 240 would be awsome. but for pure simplicity reasons i would probably just do nitrous. nos makes a really nice throtle body kit for the tpi.

what experience do you have with turbos? you put together kits or just do installs? or are you just a lover of them?

anyway i think the simple fact that a sb v8 makes so much torque makes them so perfect for a 240.

what are 240s most well known for? breaking the tires loose and drifting. what does this best? torque

but even if drifting isnt your game, theyl still scoot in a straight line like a scalded dog.

tpi just seems to be a good choice for me. ive always loved the design... and i personaly enjoy the fact that everybody and their brother doesnt have one.

drewhenderson13

are there any tubular k members out there for 240s?

i hear a bigh problem with these swaps is the clearance in that area. a tube k member would be an obvious help.

ive never really thought about looking for a k member for 240s... has anyone seen them?

Return to “Hybrids”