Ammo

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

For the most part, it sounds like everyone buys their ammo. Repo said he once reloaded but doesn't any more. Does anyone reload? It takes a while to find a load that shoots good in your gun. You'll go through a few different types of bullets and a few different powders, let alone the amounts of powder. Heck, you may even try two different primers. The thing is, you may try 10, 15, 25 or more combinations, but eventually you'll have a consistent long range "bullet". Oh...and I was pretty much talking about rifles, but it goes both ways.

JimmyMethod
Car: 97' 240SX SE

Looneybomber wrote:For the most part, it sounds like everyone buys their ammo. Repo said he once reloaded but doesn't any more. Does anyone reload? It takes a while to find a load that shoots good in your gun. You'll go through a few different types of bullets and a few different powders, let alone the amounts of powder. Heck, you may even try two different primers. The thing is, you may try 10, 15, 25 or more combinations, but eventually you'll have a consistent long range "bullet". Oh...and I was pretty much talking about rifles, but it goes both ways.
zerothread/314538

bobotech

I reload but I reload for economy and only in pistol rounds for the most part. I'm not a bench rest shooter so I'm not looking for the perfect round. I'm happy with ammo that goes bang for cheap prices and lands pretty much where I told it to go.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

I need a shotshell press.

I wanna load some baking goods into shells....

who wants to don the glasses and get blasted with some double ought candy sprinkles?

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

Mr1der wrote:who wants to don the glasses and get blasted with some double ought candy sprinkles?
I have no idea how to respond to that.
Looneybomber wrote:For the most part, it sounds like everyone buys their ammo. Repo said he once reloaded but doesn't any more. Does anyone reload?
And I still would, but the press I had was just a little, single stage Lee press that was highly aggravating to use. I am going to get a Dillon progressive and stock up on components before the next POTUS takes office. I have a good amount of brass and bullets right now, just need a load of powder and primers. If it weren't for this damned car habit, I would have all this stuff by now. It's just money, right?

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Repo Man wrote:And I still would, but the press I had was just a little, single stage Lee press that was highly aggravating to use. I am going to get a Dillon progressive and stock up on components before the next POTUS takes office.
The thing with singles, you just have to be patent and set up an assembly line of say 50rnds at a time. I've found those hand primer presses are real nice cause you can sit infront of the TV and prime say 200-250 cases while watching a TV show.

But it all depends on what you're used to. Back in the day, my dad and I would mold our own muzzle loader bullets. We'd have to clean all the lead, cut it into pieces small enough to fit in the melter, and then pour it into the hand held mold, let it sit for a few seconds, tap it twice and drop the bullet onto our soft catch towel that wouldn't burn/melt. After it was all said and done, you may get 50-60 bullets made and easily spent over two hours. (I pretty much did all the lead cleaning...without gloves or any other safety precautions. Maybe that's why I'm going bald now?)
bobotech wrote:I'm not a bench rest shooter so I'm not looking for the perfect round. I'm happy with ammo that goes bang for cheap prices and lands pretty much where I told it to go.
Varmint hunting is where it's at! There's a lot of times you'll have a coyote or prarrie (sp) dog 400-600yds out. The longest kill my dad's made on a deer was 630yds with the range finder, using the bipod. We typically can never bench shoot since you really can't bring a bench with you hunting

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

Well, it wasn't just the slow part that was aggravating. I understand patience, trust me on that, but this was just a PITA because the press itself didn't work very well.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Repo Man wrote:Well, it wasn't just the slow part that was aggravating. I understand patience, trust me on that, but this was just a PITA because the press itself didn't work very well.
Ohh. Ok, that's different.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

I used Cor-Bon +P DPX in my 9mm, Cor-Bon +P JHP in my .45, and now I use Cor-Bon +P JHP in my .357 Sig HK USPc

If you can't tell, I prefer Cor-Bon ammo.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

if it's accurate in the gun...no problem there.

bobotech

Nismo_Freak wrote:I used Cor-Bon +P DPX in my 9mm, Cor-Bon +P JHP in my .45, and now I use Cor-Bon +P JHP in my .357 Sig HK USPc

If you can't tell, I prefer Cor-Bon ammo.
Cor-Bon and Buffalo Bore are for da rich whyte folk.

I'm a po' boy 'n reload.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”