Altima coupe 2010 2.5s CVT question

All things Altima Coupe.
Snowyy
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima coupe 2.5 S

Hi, so I been doing some diagnostics on my vehicle driving around in such in automatic and CVT. I notice in CVT it drives just fine but when I come to a complete stop and it's in its first gear the vehicle tends to shake for like 2 seconds or so. Not sure if that's normal for CVT but it never happened before. I recently changed the CVT transmission oil adding approx 6 quarts. Not sure if that is what you would call transmission slip or what's going on there but it doesnt happen in automatic.

2010RS
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe RS 2.5

I have the exact same question for the same year, 2010 2.5. It has a 'stop light shudder' when it comes to a halt, and I thought it was the tensioner pulley, or maybe the fuel pump was going out...? It has been doing it for years. I did the engine and transmission mounts, and it got better, but is still there.

I did the 60k NS-2 fluid change at the dealership, but I have been reading about the newer CVT fluids that are better. Mine has 85k on the clock now, and I have considered a cooler and the newer CVT fluid might help it with lopey take offs, too.

Do you also have a bit of shudder as you come up to speed? Did you get NS-2 or the aftermarket fluid?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

The 4th generation Nissan Altima (2008–2013 coupe) is prone to poor CVT operation and failure. Because of these issues, Nissan extended the Altima's powertrain warranty (2007 to 2010 models only) to cover CVT problems for up to 10 years or 120,000 miles. Overheating transmission fluid can cause the CVT to enter a fail-safe mode, which reduces engine power to prevent internal damage. Owners may experience this reduction in performance when driving in hot weather or climbing steep hills. An external transmission cooler is available from Nissan to fix this condition, though prolonged damage may still require CVT repair or replacement.

Owners have also complained about engine starting issues. Nissan identified a fault with the electronic steering column lock (ESCL) of 2009 and 2010 models, which is designed to prevent theft but can inadvertently keep the engine from starting once the vehicle is unlocked. Nissan replaces the component free of charge. Additionally, 2011 and 2012 Altima models may have faulty ignition switch software. Reprogramming the vehicle's body control module (BCM) can fix this issue.
4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012) Real CVT lifespan

This is from the Rogue forum but the info will still be useful for your Altima...
CVT Transmission Issues. (Fail safe, Whining, Temps, & FIX!)

How many miles on your car?
Is this the original CVT, or one replaced under warranty?

Referring to the Nissan Altima, NS2 CVT fluid is used in the 2007 - 2012 series, NS3 CVT fluid is used in the 2013 (5th gen) and newer series because the CVT was redesigned. NS3 CVT fluid is NOT backwards compatible with NS2.

2010RS
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe RS 2.5

Thanks, Rogue. I was aware of that warranty, and that my car is three months away from 11 years. I figured I would have to replace it myself one day. I don't want that to be anytime soon.

Do you know why they 'bog' a little at stop lights? Mine never has issues up hills, and pulls strong. It just seems to search for a right spot while accelerating, sometimes. Sometimes it pulls like a champ. My car has 85k and (from 20k, at least) the original transmission. It has never been in limp mode, even in the South, or out west in a desert.

Snowyy
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima coupe 2.5 S

I'm at about a little over 100k miles approx 105k, its orginal.

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”