Adding Rear USB Ports

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Roguenewbie
Car: 2020 Nissan Rogue SL

So I just bought a brand new 2020 Rogue SL but it doesn't have the 2 extra USB ports in the rear. I tried searching but just found the below. So, can someone (or moderator Rogue One) point me to the answer to the question - thx so much.

LOL - I'm a doctor and can put a stent in your artery but came manage finding an answer on a forum ! Thx so much for your help.

Dual Rear Charging USB Ports 2019 Rogue Sport SL AWD
Postby Trustbicycles » Sat May 04, 2019 2:41 pm

Hello,
My Rogue Sport did not come with rear USB charging ports.
I’d like to install the factory USB Port myself.
Does anyone know if there is an existing harness connector inside of the center console to accept Part number T99Q7-6MA0A.
Thank You.
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat May 04, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:welcome:

2018 Rogue add rear USB charging
DenisMcG wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:35 am
I used a 12 volt USB port cable. I wanted something with the ability to charge without the ignition being on. I found a constant 12 volt source at the subwoofer connector and just tapped into that. This is in my 2009 Infiniti FX50, but you should be able to find a voltage source in your Rogue.

https://www.amazon.com/Ginsco-Charger-S ... ay&sr=8-18
Multiple USB devices
madtownmichelle wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:17 am
So I got the 2018 Rogue and can confirm USB hub does not work to pass multiple sources to the head unit. I've moved all my music to my phone SD card which works out great (64GB, plenty of space). When hard-wired to the car using Android Auto I can choose local files, Spotify or Google Play Music (there are other options, but I don't use them). For short trips when I don't want to plug in the phone it automatically plays music over Bluetooth from whichever music app is open. To save mobile data, I downloaded a few playlists from Spotify and Play Music. So much nicer and versatile than the 2015!

Roguenewbie

Thx so much Rogue One for the welcome. So I just reviewed those links but I did not see the answer. Again the question is:

Is there an existing harness connector inside of the center console to accept the Nissan accessory - Rear Seat USB Charging Ports (2 Ports); Part Number: T99Q7-6MA0B.
Screenshot 2020-11-27 151632.png
Screenshot 2020-11-27 151632.png (26.91 KiB) Viewed 3455 times

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The T99xx part numbers are all accessory kits, not replacement parts. That means any vehicle it's specified to fit will have the proper pre-wiring. In this case it's specified for '18~'20 Rogue and Rogue Sport, so your car should have the necessary connector(s).

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Roguenewbie wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:19 pm
Thx so much Rogue One for the welcome. So I just reviewed those links but I did not see the answer. Again the question is:

Is there an existing harness connector inside of the center console to accept the Nissan accessory - Rear Seat USB Charging Ports (2 Ports); Part Number: T99Q7-6MA0B.

Screenshot 2020-11-27 151632.png
Yeah, I understand the question. Thing is, unless someone from the factory assembly line chimes in, the only people that may know the answer are those that have cracked theirs open. Someone has to the first person to do just that, and as luck would have it, it looks like that someone is gonna be you (kinda like the first Doc to put in a stent). On the plus side, opening your center console to see what's inside has far fewer consequences than slicing someone open to see how their ticker works. :gapteeth:

Roguenewbie

Very good, I like that, witty.

Well you are correct in a sense. I stopped by the local dealership to pick up some wheel locks and asked the tech about this and he said he had no clue because he had never done it.

So then I did a little checking on a friends Rogue with them and after removing the rear finisher and ventilation duct, I'm really no closer to the answer because I could only see/feel so far back along the power wire.

Seems like I may have to go ahead and remove the entire center console to discern the answer, but that's an operation for another day right.

I am finding it difficult to believe nobody here has undertaken this task, seems like something many would have already done.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Roguenewbie wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:48 pm
I am finding it difficult to believe nobody here has undertaken this task, seems like something many would have already done.
I agree, it's puzzling. I asked around our whole dealership and no one has done one. You'd think it would be a popular add-on.

Roguenewbie

Thank you VStar, I agree. Around here plenty of the vehicles come with them; so, do they come from the manufacturer that way or are they added at the dealership ? For example, surely the dealership does not add the premium package right, the LED headlights and panoramic moon roof, I would think that would come from already on the vehicle from the manufacturer, no ? (and don't call me Shirly)... So exactly when do the 2 rear USB ports get added ???

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The upscale SL and SV models usually come with a lot of those accessories from the factory, and many of the kits are simply a way to upgrade lower trim packages. But accessories are funny that way, a lot of stuff like under-car lighting and door-sill lighting is often added "at the port" by Nissan installers using Nissan accessory kits. The "port" can be an actual port for Japan/Korea/Mexico cars or a distribution center for US cars. Other stuff like spoilers, auto-dimming mirrors and interior accents are usually dealer add-ons. In either case they're warranted the same as the car.

(VStar650CL <- not Leslie Nielsen and doesn't call anyone Shirley) ;)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Btw, I doubt you need to unscrew the console to find the prewire pigtails. On Rogues the cupholder panel just pops out with a plastic prybar, exposing the connections for the seat heater switches and the power outlet / USB inside the console pocket. Chances are you'll find the prewire connector for the accessory USB taped back to the Main Harness at that point.

Roguenewbie

Ahh, so easy !

First the answer = NO - there is no extra/open connector on the console wiring harness for the 2 rear USB ports wire to simply connect to (that would be way too easy right).

All you do is remove the cup holder, which gives you access to the 12v power port (cigarette lighter). From there you use the T-harness included with the rear USB ports kit to get your power source for the USB ports. Full instructions available at www.nissan-techinfo.com

NO removal of entire center console necessary - yay !

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That makes perfect sense if the ports are just for charging. Nissan USB's all have a built-in hub for data or charge controller if the port is charge-only, so any old power source would do. Good info, good work!

russr
Car: 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Sorry about resurrecting suh an old thread, but did you have to do surgery (see what I did there) on the back of the console (I'm assuming above the rear air vents) to place the "inset" that has the USB ports?

If so, what tools, etc. for cutting the hole, how finicky/precise does it have to be, etc.?

Thanks

Russ

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You cut a hole in the base of the rear finisher. The kit instructions specify how and where. The plastic isn't hard, so a variety of tools can do the job.

russr
Car: 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:38 pm
You cut a hole in the base of the rear finisher. The kit instructions specify how and where. The plastic isn't hard, so a variety of tools can do the job.
Awesome, thanks!

Return to “Rogue Forum”