'95 240SX SE - RB20DET w/RB25 Turbo - AutoX/Track

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
TreyE
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX - 2011 Honda Accord Coupe

Hey all! :wavey:

I wanted to start a build thread so that I could ask for suggestions if need be and document the process throughout owning the 240. It's always fun that way. I'll keep posting as I do things to the car. Plan is a 1 or 2jz, very minor possibility of RB25. Who knows!? :gotme

So I bought this 240, sight unseen from Kansas. No rust, all one color, Kouki converted Zenki, RB20DET inside. It seemed as though everything was in order. :slap: Upon receiving it, the valve cover gaskets were leaking, the power steering was leaking like the hoover dam, it had some break up under boost, the tune was completely wrong. It needed some TLC. I had him do a video walk around, cold start, rev, compression test etc FYI. Here are the photos when I bought it.

TreyE

First things I did was buy a new power steering rack and valve cover gaskets, I don't have any photos of me doing that unfortunately. Inside the engine looked pretty decent though, didn't show signs of any bad maintenance or old oil etc. I then got some OEM LS coils and installed those. The car previously had the Z32 igniter. You can see the pools of oil in the spark plug cavities and the condition of the plugs. :facepalm:

Gapped new plugs to .8 - no more spark blow out. Also, after this I installed a new AEM 320lph fuel pump although I found out that it had already been replaced previously. It just had been done very poorly with the wrong connectors and I don't know how it even worked like that. I also installed an ISR (I think) FPR as a preventative measure as I heard bigger pumps sometimes fool with stock FPR.

Here you can see FPR and new intake. The BOV was vented to atmosphere, I blocked it off super ghetto. Turbo flutter all day now.

TreyE

After getting it on the road I found that we were working with some cooling problems. It had the stock KA radiator I think, and it looked like someone put mud inside it. It was nasty, so I flushed the system to get it ready for new radiator. Mishimoto KA radiator arrives.

Flying saucer style..

So the radiator is in, I re-used existing no name electric fan.... To be continued...

TreyE

Ok so now to take care of that awful tune... Martin at RS Enthalpy is local to me so I had him do the tune. Stock RB25 turbo is running about 12-14lbs according to him. He recommended I hi-flow it. I agree.

I take it in for a tune, here is final graph with a safe tune and video of one of the pulls. 248whp/225wtq

https://youtu.be/grIVaVAB0CQ

TreyE

Well after my first autocross event, my clutch finally went out on me. It limps along but HATES 2nd gear pulls. I also haven't gotten down to the bottom of my overheating issues. I want to monitor it closely and upgrade to a name brand fan so I have ordered the following:

1 x ISR Performance Universal Coolant Temp Adapter - 34mm
1 x Autometer Phantom 100-250 Electric Water Temp Gauge
1 x Competition Clutch - Stage 2 - Steelback Brass Plus - Nissan Skyline 2.0L (push style clutch) 1989-2002
1 x Street Faction Radio Bezel w/ Gauge Holder for Nissan 240sx S14
(Number of Gauges: Triple, Angle / Flat: Flat, Gauge Size: 52mm)
1x Mishimoto Slim 12" Fan

Here is one of my runs with an instructor, note me starting off slowly with clutch going out. I have a lot to learn I could have gone so much faster.

https://youtu.be/mqjHwSmMCP4

Anyways, going to get the new clutch installed, never done a clutch before....should be fun getting it out/in with my one car garage and swapped, and first time ever doing it. Weeeeeeeee!

flartius
Car: 1996 - Nissan 240sx SE RB25DET
2008 - Yamaha YZF-R6 - SOLD
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

I have a Mishimoto with dual 12" pushers on it and still have a heat issue when I'm sitting in traffic for awhile. Thinking about going back to the stock radiator with the clutch fan. Most people who do that don't have any issues with heat anymore.

As far as clutch change, the hardest part will be getting the tranny off the back of the motor and back on the motor. My suggestion would be to use a hoist if you have access and unbolt the engine mounts to tilt it back so you can get to the bellhousing bolts as well as have room to slide the transmission out of the pilot bearing. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I'm really interested in what happens to this build. :dblthumb:

TreyE

flartius wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:20 pm
I have a Mishimoto with dual 12" pushers on it and still have a heat issue when I'm sitting in traffic for awhile. Thinking about going back to the stock radiator with the clutch fan. Most people who do that don't have any issues with heat anymore.

As far as clutch change, the hardest part will be getting the tranny off the back of the motor and back on the motor. My suggestion would be to use a hoist if you have access and unbolt the engine mounts to tilt it back so you can get to the bellhousing bolts as well as have room to slide the transmission out of the pilot bearing. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I'm really interested in what happens to this build. :dblthumb:
Yea I really have NO room for a dual fan setup, it's so tight in there!!

I don't even have room for a clutch fan setup, I thought about that route. Pullers are slightly more efficient, if you have room I would try that? Or one puller one pusher? I think I might have to notch out my radiator support, tilt it forwards some and get the dual shroud to take care of my temp problem unfortunately. I live in Florida too so it gets crazy hot, I have to come up with a solution. We will see once my gauge comes in what I'm reaching - I'm sure I'll be disappointed but helps to know at least and not have to try and rely on the stock needle gauge. If it's anything like my gas gauge, who knows what it's actually at temp wise :ohno:

TreyE

Oh also I am waiting to get these installed, Z32 calipers and rotors. Want to powder coat and rebuild before mounting though. One thing at a time I guess right? :crazy:

TreyE

Oh yea last night I had some TLC to give the girl. First is before and after of my shifter and radio bezel, looks slightly better now even though I'll be changing out for monitoring gauges soon enough. As previously stated I ordered a water temp gauge, after that is matching autometer boost, oil pressure, and oil temp.

Before:

After:

The leather boot doesn't have the part to attach correctly, so I just tied a microfiber towel underneath to puff it out a bit. Looks better than before at least?

Well then my passenger window all of the sudden started rolling up at an extreme angle like half the window was rolling up but the other half wasn't. I took off my door panels to inspect and what did I find?

Driver side door had started to deteriorate and had a bunch of plastic bits rattling about inside...THAT'S WHAT THAT SOUND WAS! :tisk:

OH-my car used to be green! Surprise!

Notice something missing?

Ah yes, that's why my window was messed up. Part of it wasn't even bolted to the mount....bolt was nowhere to be found? I mounted it back on for the photo. :gotme

TreyE

In order to start autocross and to get an instructor in the car with me to learn faster I had to install a seat. I opted for the cheaper way, OEM S14 seat. The Cobra's are like $600+, sorry passengers - HOLD ON! :gapteeth:

Here is the original setup when I bought the car:

Here is the seat before cleaning and after:

Ignore the cigarette holes, it was $50 gimme a break. It needed a nice wet vacuum cleaning though.

It installed:

TreyE

I had a coolant leak, but it would only happen intermittently. This made it quite the bear to track down. Happened after the radiator flush and new radiator install so I immediately assumed it was the radiator or hoses. NOPE. What happened was that one of the hoses that flowed fluid through the intake manifold was old and had formed a pinhole sized leak that would ONLY become apparent when the car was hot and created pressure in the system, of course only could find it when it was running too! Took me three weeks until I finally found it. Replaced all hoses I could with new ones.

Best photo I could get:

Custom plate came in, my nickname is Trey because I am the third (III) in my family name. The car is a converted Kouki, therefore this was born: GO BUCS!

While counting threads before going to get an alignment for autocross, specs below, I found that my rear Stance coilover bushings were shot and on their way out. Ordered new ones that can be pressed in.

Front:
-4 degrees camber
7 degrees caster
0 toe

Rear:
-3.5 degree camber
0 toe

Makes it very nimble. Drove great.

TreyE

Sorry for posting so much, I just needed to get everything up to speed on what has been done so far to the car. I will continue to update as I continue through this build! Lot's more to come...

flartius
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

TreyE wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:59 pm
Yea I really have NO room for a dual fan setup, it's so tight in there!!

I don't even have room for a clutch fan setup, I thought about that route. Pullers are slightly more efficient, if you have room I would try that? Or one puller one pusher? I think I might have to notch out my radiator support, tilt it forwards some and get the dual shroud to take care of my temp problem unfortunately. I live in Florida too so it gets crazy hot, I have to come up with a solution. We will see once my gauge comes in what I'm reaching - I'm sure I'll be disappointed but helps to know at least and not have to try and rely on the stock needle gauge. If it's anything like my gas gauge, who knows what it's actually at temp wise :ohno:
There's room, when I swapped my RB25 in I opted to keep the condenser because I want to have A/C eventually, so my setup is radiator>condenser>dual 12" pushers>intercooler. No, it is not terribly effective and I do have heat issues and it's only spring so time will tell. I plan to drain the coolant and flush the system as good as I can then put rubber weatherstripping between the condenser and radiator to maximize the amount of flow through the radiator and see how much of a difference that makes.

If no dice then I'm going to try the factory radiator with a clutch fan shroud setup. Following this thread guide.

But you are doing some awesome work, I love the progress you are doing and you have a very clean car. I look forward to learning from your build and hopefully I can help you out a little along the way too.

TreyE

Dude there is no room in my install. Not sure why but I barely have enough room for one fan. Check it:

flartius
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

PUSHERS my man, I said pushers. No you will absolutely have no room behind a mishi for a fan setup. You're just as tight in there as I, so hopefully I can bring forth good news about cooling one of these days but not today. Again I have ready where people have ran the clutch fan behind the stock r33 radiator but for now I'm relying on my dual 12" pusher setup.

TreyE

flartius wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:29 am
PUSHERS my man, I said pushers. No you will absolutely have no room behind a mishi for a fan setup. You're just as tight in there as I, so hopefully I can bring forth good news about cooling one of these days but not today. Again I have ready where people have ran the clutch fan behind the stock r33 radiator but for now I'm relying on my dual 12" pusher setup.
MY mistake!! Read too fast. Until I replace stock intercooler ( or whatever it is) up front, which is RIGHT in front of the rad, I cant put pushers :(

Ill need to upgrade IC eventually when I swap for a larger engine. Until then im stuck where I am, with notching being my only other option to run a shroud.

Mitec
Car: RB20 S13 hatch

That is one beautiful chassis, good find! :naughty:

I like the brake upgrade as well. Since you want to do autox, I might look into some nice suspension upgrades before you swap a new engine in. Wish mine had gone that way instead of diving straight into the engine, but oh well lol.

TreyE

Mitec wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:08 pm
That is one beautiful chassis, good find! :naughty:

I like the brake upgrade as well. Since you want to do autox, I might look into some nice suspension upgrades before you swap a new engine in. Wish mine had gone that way instead of diving straight into the engine, but oh well lol.
Thanks! It has some decent Stance GR+ coilovers on it that do well enough for what I want for now with damper settings etc. they’ll serve ok for the time being I think. Yea I’m going to take the brakes apart and get them coated soon. Need to order the brake lines and such.

Next order is to install the new competition clutch stage 2, water temp gauge, mishi fan.

TreyE

So I bought a couple things. Plan is - install billet/bored RB25 Pure Turbo (have it), 800cc Deatschwerks (have it), and Z32 MAF (on backorder until September), switch over to E85 compatible fuel lines. Run full E85 on the girl and see what she can do!! Took her out for autocross this weekend, I need to trust the car more - I'm leaving a lot of time on the track. Teasers...

Return to “240sx General Discussion”