720 motorhome fuel filter

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
bmxninja357
Car: 1985 nissan 720 motorhome. 24z, 5 speed, 2wd

im new to the workings of nissans and need to change my fuel filter. im aware and have read several threads on here about this however i have an oddball 720. im wondering if anyone here has any instructions on doing this on a dualie motorhome. i know the motor was replaced 35000km ago and the trans was swapped to a 5 speed. its 2wd.

this is the first of many questions. part of why i need instructions of sorts is im in canada and it gets a little cold so having a clue before i start should cut down my freezing my digits off greatly. any and all input much appreciated.

there is my introduction and a picture of the unit here: the-new-guy-720-motorhome-t606459.html

thanks in advance,
ninj

bmxninja357

so i decided to crawl under my unit and try and locate the fuel filter today. it is currently just in front of the motorhome part. i also noticed that it is as old as the hills and i do not believe its the correct type. when i bought this motorhome there was a new fuel filter in a box under the seat in back so i assume the previous owner bought the right one. but maybe not. that being said it cant be any worse than the one on there.

anyone know the correct part number?

bmxninja357

ok.... so i was wrong and what i saw was not the fuel filter. in fact in 45 minutes crawling around under the unit and hunting under hood i could not find said filter. help!

i will have to take it to a shop for a fuel filter if no one has any idea. its only -2c outside today and dont get many of these days in winter.

thanks,
ninj

waynosworld

It should have a fuel filter near the fuel pump on the passenger side near the front of the rear tire.
Here is where it is on my vehicle(85 Nissan 720 frame).

bmxninja357

thank you very much! its dark out now but will scurry under tomorrow if its warm and look again. mine would have entered the country as a dualie truck. that does not make a difference?

and i know im going to find A few oddities as it is a motorhome with some non stock fixes and features.

waynosworld

The filter should be between the tank and the fuel pump.

bmxninja357

so using that picture i found the filter! it was a little semi clear plastic dealie with both inlet and outlet on top. the one i had came with the motorhome and did not look like the one pictured but i got it on anyway. seems to work but am going for a drive to see what kind of difference if any it makes.

i tried to blow through the old one and it seemed restricted.

thank you so much. that pic helped immensely. im kind of a visual guy and its easy for me to follow directions once i see the thing im trying.

so after a drive i think i will make a thread about some other things i think i can do myself. im trying.

thanks!
ninj

waynosworld

That sounds like the stock filter, there should have been a clip it was snapped into against the side of the frame in front of the rear tire.
Mine is not stock, I just posted that photo to give you an idea of the area it should have been, these trucks are 30 years old, and the auto parts stores just sell generic stuff for older vehicles anymore.

bmxninja357

the clip was there but the filter was not in it. i think it was knocked out. would be no surprise as winter roads can knock anything underside out thats not bolted down. and some stuff that is bolted down. there was a new fuel filter in a drawer when i bought this so its what i used. went for a drive and noticed from cold (-4c) it started right up and ran without me having to rev it for a minute. and it seems to drive smother than before. if it stalls out again i will check the relay above the fan motor by the passenger side kick panel. i read about that gem in another thread. the one not in any manual. but i think the filter was the problem.

im sort of a beliver that the general rule is a fuel filter is a fuel filter is a fuel filter so here is a pic of the one i am currently running. it looks a lot like the stock one i had on my 86 dodge minivan. that had a 4cyl too.

again, thanks for your help. i started a thread about things i can get rid of under hood if anyone wants to check it out. i think im the only guy whos threads start with 720 motorhome. lol.

peace,
ninj

waynosworld

As far as I know, all the gasser trucks had a clip on the frame, box mount, or fuel pump protector box back by the front of the rear wheel on the passenger side, and the filter had both inlet and outlet on the top of the filter.
The diesel 720 had the pre-filter on the firewall in the same type clip with both outlets on the top of the filter, the hose then went to the lift pump, then to the main filter which then went to the front of the injection pump.

bmxninja357 wrote:the clip was there but the filter was not in it. i think it was knocked out. would be no surprise as winter roads can knock anything underside out thats not bolted down. and some stuff that is bolted down. there was a new fuel filter in a drawer when i bought this so its what i used. went for a drive and noticed from cold (-4c) it started right up and ran without me having to rev it for a minute. and it seems to drive smother than before. if it stalls out again i will check the relay above the fan motor by the passenger side kick panel. i read about that gem in another thread. the one not in any manual. but i think the filter was the problem.

im sort of a beliver that the general rule is a fuel filter is a fuel filter is a fuel filter so here is a pic of the one i am currently running. it looks a lot like the stock one i had on my 86 dodge minivan. that had a 4cyl too.

again, thanks for your help. i started a thread about things i can get rid of under hood if anyone wants to check it out. i think im the only guy whos threads start with 720 motorhome. lol.

peace,
ninj

Return to “Datsun 720”