350 Wheel HP??

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
ZERO
Car: AE86 GTS Liftback

Night, please dont take it the wrong way. I know that RB engines are great and that you can get a lot of support for them.

What I mean to say is that the SR engines have been around longer than the RB and it will be easier to find a person who has done an SR swap or worked on one at least. RB engines, well... not that many people have worked with them, and I dont exactly feel like being guinea pig. I have a limited budget, and with that limited budget I want to be able to get an S13, the engine swap and insurance.

If you can guarantee me that I can have an RB20 clip shipped and installed within my budget, I will be the first one to fork over the cash to you. I already have some friends who said that they would be glad to help me with the swap (they are not nissan guys but they do know their stuff).

I would love nothing more than to have an RB engine. Hell, I'll be a guinea pig if I do the swap.

ZERO

Also, doesn't the RB swap need some custom work?

creophus
Car: 240SX SE & 200SX

Night,

If I can get an RB25DET into my S14 I'd love to do that. I think the problem that ZERO is talking about is that engine swaps are always unpredictable, and if he's like me, doesn't have a huge budget to experiment. Everyone that I talk to says it's always harder than you think and it always costs more money than you think because little things come up. I would be afraid that going with an RB for my first swap would be a big risk. I don't have the knowledge so I'd be paying someone else to do it. My goal is to have about 300-350hp at the wheels so an RB would be really sweet. Keep providing info on this please. You obviously know more about this than I do, so I'm willing to learn all that you are willing to teach. BTW...do you know anyone in the Tampa/Orlando area that has an RB or knows how to install them?

Vrtgrumpy

Night,

The HKS GT 2835 Turbo does fit because that Turbo is on my car using the stock manifold. I really like this turbo, fast spool and lots of power. I am hitting 20PSI on high boost. I am also running 550cc injectors, Z32 MAF, Greddy Surge tank, Q45 Trottle body and a E-Sports tuned ECU.

This set up is perfect for drifting. HKS said this set up is good for about 420HP. I should be ablt to get it dynoed next weekend. Then I'll be able to let know if it is really at 420HP.

Grumpy

mmerritt2

Vrtgrumpy~ which engine do you have? is it the RB25 or RB20? also, what else do you have on your car besides the stuff you listed above?

rbsileighty
Car: 92 S13 Hatch w/ RB20 & 05 Audi S4 Avant 6MT

Vrtgrumpy wrote:Night,

The HKS GT 2835 Turbo does fit because that Turbo is on my car using the stock manifold. I really like this turbo, fast spool and lots of power. I am hitting 20PSI on high boost. I am also running 550cc injectors, Z32 MAF, Greddy Surge tank, Q45 Trottle body and a E-Sports tuned ECU.

This set up is perfect for drifting. HKS said this set up is good for about 420HP. I should be ablt to get it dynoed next weekend. Then I'll be able to let know if it is really at 420HP.

Grumpy

Which A/R are you running? I can't decide between the .68 and the .87... I'd like to go with the .87 if it does not have significantly more lag than the .68. Thanks!

ZERO

I'm really torn right now. I dont know if I should go for the SR or the RB20. I would really like to have an RB.

however I do have a few questions regarding the RB20 swap:

1. Will I have to cut out a section of the hood underframe? If so, should I get a shop to do it, and how much will it cost me?

2. I read on the boards that some modifications have to be made to the driveshaft. What exactly are these mods?

3. Night, you metioned on a post that for an RB25 you can use the oil filters, and some other maintenance parts from the 300zx N/T. Is this true and does it only stand true for the RB25?

4. Is there anyone in the Philadelphia area or close to, that has this swap or that knows how to do it?

I know some of these questions have been answered before, but I want a straight answer. Hope it doesn't bother you guys.

rbsileighty
Car: 92 S13 Hatch w/ RB20 & 05 Audi S4 Avant 6MT

ZERO wrote:I'm really torn right now. I dont know if I should go for the SR or the RB20. I would really like to have an RB.

however I do have a few questions regarding the RB20 swap:

1. Will I have to cut out a section of the hood underframe? If so, should I get a shop to do it, and how much will it cost me?

2. I read on the boards that some modifications have to be made to the driveshaft. What exactly are these mods?

3. Night, you metioned on a post that for an RB25 you can use the oil filters, and some other maintenance parts from the 300zx N/T. Is this true and does it only stand true for the RB25?

4. Is there anyone in the Philadelphia area or close to, that has this swap or that knows how to do it?

I know some of these questions have been answered before, but I want a straight answer. Hope it doesn't bother you guys.

1. Yes or no... my 20 only hits onn the front of the motor and I am looking into purchasing the A-31 crossmember to see if this will fix the clearance issue (this has been discussed several times). I am also looking into some different motor mounts that could possibly sit it lower. As far as actually cutting... not a big deal... probably only take a few min to do and should cost nothing.

2. For the 20 you do not need to modify the driveshaft... I just cut the dust shield on the end of the trans by 1.25" and used the RB trans's input shaft along with the KA's driveshaft.

3. This is true... the oil filter for the KA, and Z31 and lots of other motors of the silver top 20 use the same filter.

4. I am in North Carolina with the 20 swapped into a S13. I can help you with it... but i'd rather not "do" the swap until i get a few more under my belt. It really isn't that hard. My only issues came from getting a shady clip from Venus... which has caused some wiring issues. I am also in MI part for half of the year...

dohctor_yaj
Car: cars!

Quote »KA-T 350++ HPNISSAN 2.4(KA24DE) pistons 89.0mm/9:1 $409 wisecoShot peen rods+ balancing $400JWT ECU $600Turbo t3/t4 internal wastegate $500UH Manifold $450UH Fuel rail + injectors $450Turbo timer $100Walbro fp $120Used starion IC $200D.I.Y. IC Piping $200BOV $200Down pipe $150

Total $3779

RB25det 350RWHPClip ~3300+ SHIPPING = ~3600Starion fmic 200D.I.Y. piping 200Down pipe 150 BOV 200 Custom drive shaft?? 150??GReddy Intake plenum 700--debatableInjectors 480cc s15 600--stock 370cc maxed at 350RWHPTurbo t3/t4 internal wastegate $500Turbo timer 100 Walbro FP 120 SAFC 300Total $6820 +/- who knows[/quote]

lets get something straight here and start from the way beginning say you dont even have a car or nothing...you want a S13 body 240sx hatch...

to buy a 240 with low miles say 50-70K so that it would be still alive to turbo, you're looking at about $5000 off the bat...then add all the turbo stuff...i dont think any of us here would want to turbo a 140K KA motor...

if you want a hight mileage one so you can add a rb engine in it, it'll b about $1500 and so if you really add up everything, you'll spend about the same amount of money...so don't forget about the cost of the car if one was to start from compete scratch...

you dont need a from facing penlum...its just nice to have one....

Bbill528
Car: Cars, running, skiing

NOt that this has anything to do w/ the subject but mmerritt2where in NC are you, i'd love to see an rb25 if you ever did it...

cosmo

NightXCZ77 wrote:Obviously, no shop sells at MSRP. The yen to dollar conversion is MSRP. Dealers take their discounts off of the listed MSRP to get their pricing. You can still make money selling them at $714 even if you're going through a wholesaler. Greddy probably lets Takakaira have em for about $550 since they'd be direct with Greddy I am assuming.

The RB25DET is a direct bolt in motor with the R33 Cross member and mounts. The Tranny mount bolts into the chassis, but is extended farther than the tranny mounts which gives you the option of a spacer or a mount extension.

The Greddy manifold - I have no experience with them. I assume they bolt on just fine, however, you will need a new throttle body if I am not mistaken.

Night

Night, FYI, I was asking about the Greddy manifold, and assosciated issues. Not if the RB25 was a bolt in motor. Sorry about the mix up.

93semax

dohctor_yaj wrote:lets get something straight here and start from the way beginning say you dont even have a car or nothing...you want a S13 body 240sx hatch...

to buy a 240 with low miles say 50-70K so that it would be still alive to turbo, you're looking at about $5000 off the bat...then add all the turbo stuff...i dont think any of us here would want to turbo a 140K KA motor...

if you want a hight mileage one so you can add a rb engine in it, it'll b about $1500 and so if you really add up everything, you'll spend about the same amount of money...so don't forget about the cost of the car if one was to start from compete scratch...

you dont need a from facing penlum...its just nice to have one....

That is true and that is exactly what I did. I bought a high milege s14 just to do this swap. The biggest mistake was to send the car to UH. If I knew the r33 x-member and mounts could have been used I would have done the swap myself. The swap is 3 months now over due btw. :mad: BUT

Not everyone wanting to do the swap doesn't already have a car. I don't know much about KA's (i have experience in VG's and VE's). At 350rwhp with balanced shot peened rods and aftrmrkt pistons+rings on a 140k engine I can't see what could go wrong. But if that isn't good enough, low mileage KA's are very cheap ~$600. So instead of buying that $5000 car you can but that $1500 clunker and buy a low mileage KA. In the end the KA-T will be cheaper. Why am I getting a RB25? I looking for more than 350hp... A LOT more :devil

mmerritt2

Bbill528 I am in Raleigh, NC. Probably won't do the swap for a couple of months, but keep in touch, and stay tuned!

Redline240
Car: 95 240sx

Quote »Why am I getting a RB25? I looking for more than 350hp... A LOT more :devil [/quote]

Me too, thats why i'm planning a RB26 swap...Whats your HP goal?

mmerritt2

Redline240 wrote:Me too, thats why i'm planning a RB26 swap...Whats your HP goal?

I hope you have lots of money, or are going to have lots of money! Good luck, keeps us in the loop!:ylsuper

93semax

Redline240 wrote:Me too, thats why i'm planning a RB26 swap...Whats your HP goal?
550++For a while I wished for a RB26. But now I don't as the rb 25 can be made pretty much an equal to the 26. One can stroke the rb25 with used(or new) rb26 internals. Also from researching skylinesdownunder I have found out the 26 and 25 heads can flow the same and the CC is the same. The one thing you will loose though is the responsiveness from the 6 throttle bodies.End result is a RB26det w/ VTC :thinker Though I am thinking the VTC will be a headache. It's a common failure on VE30DE's and can cost $1000+ to fix. Does anyone know if VE and RB25 vtc's operate similarly?

dan240
Car: killing stealth R/T and camaros

93semax wrote:550++For a while I wished for a RB26. But now I don't as the rb 25 can be made pretty much an equal to the 26. One can stroke the rb25 with used(or new) rb26 internals. Also from researching skylinesdownunder I have found out the 26 and 25 heads can flow the same and the CC is the same. The one thing you will loose though is the responsiveness from the 6 throttle bodies.End result is a RB26det w/ VTC :thinker Though I am thinking the VTC will be a headache. It's a common failure on VE30DE's and can cost $1000+ to fix. Does anyone know if VE and RB25 vtc's operate similarly?

it's nice to hear that the RB25det's just as capable as the RB26dett, but i came upon a discrepancy in my research of the engine. I know it might be something that i overlooked, but is there a difference between 96+ rb25dets? do these motors have the VTC??? and is there a difference between the RB25det's or are they all the same? Cuz when i was looking on some sites, there were different camshafts for the rb25det??!??!?!?! i was confused as hell, cuz i thought they were all the same. Anyway 93semax, can you show me the post on skylinesdownunder where it stated that the rb25det head can flow the same as the 26dett? I've got way too many questions, i should shut the wordhole now. Anyway, keep us updated on the rb25det buildup. Good luck and godspeed.

ZERO

Who cares about VTC? once you put cams in there, there will be no point to it...

93semax

dan240 wrote:it's nice to hear that the RB25det's just as capable as the RB26dett, but i came upon a discrepancy in my research of the engine. I know it might be something that i overlooked, but is there a difference between 96+ rb25dets? do these motors have the VTC??? and is there a difference between the RB25det's or are they all the same? Cuz when i was looking on some sites, there were different camshafts for the rb25det??!??!?!?! i was confused as hell, cuz i thought they were all the same. Anyway 93semax, can you show me the post on skylinesdownunder where it stated that the rb25det head can flow the same as the 26dett? I've got way too many questions, i should shut the wordhole now. Anyway, keep us updated on the rb25det buildup. Good luck and godspeed.

Here is the link Also do a search on sydneykid, he is one of the few people on the internet that race and build rb's.As for the different rb25's I can't find much about the non-vtc version. Be careful which cams you buy because I think they have different fittings. I don't know if it possible to remove the vtc assembly and gear and just plug the oil feed.

93semax

ZERO wrote:Who cares about VTC? once you put cams in there, there will be no point to it...
What effect would putting different cams have on VTC?

ZERO

well... if I understand correctly its the same concept of the VTEC. You have a high lobe and a low lobe, the low lobe is when it is at low revs and the high lobe is when you are at high revs. If you put cams on it will just be on the high lobe all the time, because there is no low lobe. This makes VTC useless...

93semax

ZERO wrote:well... if I understand correctly its the same concept of the VTEC. You have a high lobe and a low lobe, the low lobe is when it is at low revs and the high lobe is when you are at high revs. If you put cams on it will just be on the high lobe all the time, because there is no low lobe. This makes VTC useless...

I was going to bash you on this in my previous post because I knew you thought VTC was the same as vtec.

IT IS NOT VTEC. Cam lift is NOT changed. Cam timing IS changed. Changing Cams will not affect VTC operation unless you disable the VTC solenoid.

Nissan "NEO" i believe, is similar to VTEC where lift is changed

Projekt

1000th viewer!

actually nissan has no variable lift as far as i know. they have had VT for years as have many companies. the only variable lift's from japan are hondoo and toyoda.

but BMW is the current god of valvetrains. i personally like the cam specs for rx-7s

neo ddi is for direct injection, neo is just VTC

93semax

Projekt wrote:1000th viewer!

actually nissan has no variable lift as far as i know. they have had VT for years as have many companies. the only variable lift's from japan are hondoo and toyoda.

but BMW is the current god of valvetrains. i personally like the cam specs for rx-7s

neo ddi is for direct injection, neo is just VTC

http://autozine.kyul.net/techn...2.htm

http://www.freshalloy.com/site...shtml

http://www.freshalloy.com/site...shtml

Looks like your partially wrong. there's Neo Direct Injection, Neo Variable Valve Timing and Neo Variable Valve Lift.NEO:Nissan Ecology Oriented performanceI learned something new today :D

Vrtgrumpy

Hey mmerritt2 Here are the spec.'s of my car.....ENGINE 1998 SKYLINE GTS-T RB25DET WITH NAME PLATEGREDDY INTAKE WITH Q45 TROTTLE BODYApex’I GTR INTERCOOLERHKS GT 2535 TurboGREX oil relocator and oil cooler550cc injectorsE-Sports ECUGreddy PROFEC Boost controllerApex’I S-AFCCUSTOM MOTOR AND TRANS MOUNT BY McKINNEY MOTORSPORTSTRANS RB25DET WITH CUSTOM ONE PIECE DRIVE SHAFT.CUSTOM DOWN PIPE and intercooler piping by Mckinney MotorsportsAPEX’I N1 CAT BACK SYSTEMNitrous Express NOS Wet system with heater and remote2 disc O.S. Giken clutch

BODY 1991 240SX92 SILIVA FRONT ENDCUSTOM FITTED R33 BUMPER WITH REAL GTR BLINKERSFULL BLOOM SIDE SKIRTS AND REAR SKIRTR32 TAIL LIGHTS custom installed by Dwayne Dalton of Dalton & son AutobodyARP DRAG WINGFULL DRIFT ROLL CAGETENZO SEATS WITH NEW FLOOR ON DRIVERS SIDE TO ALLOW FIT LOW.FULL AUTOMETER GAUGESBLITZ TURBO TIMER4-POINT BELT SYSTEMMOMO STEERING WHEELCUSCO DRIFT BUTTONRAZO SHIFT KNOBGAB STRUT BAR

ROLLERSPIAA ROZZA WHEELS F 17X8 R 17X9 MECHILEN F 235X45X17 R 245X45X17

BRAKES/SUSPENSIONSKYLINE GTS-T FRONT BRAKES AND ROTORS5-LUG CONVERSION ALL THE WAY AROUNDTEIN SUSPENSION WITH CAMBER PLATES

AUDIO SYSTEMSONY EXPLOD Indash 7”TV, 10 DISC CHANGER, 4” DOOR SPEAKERS, 6” REAR SPEAKERS, 10” ALUNIUM WOOFERS, 400WATT AMPCLARION 6.4” TVVCR

PAINT 99 CORVETTE BLACK ROSE

Hopefully in two weeks I'll be adding the Custom Manifold with T-61 Turbo and HKS wastegate, Bride seats, Endlass coil overs, and FULLY adjustible suspension.

Here are some pictures from last weekends show.

rbsileighty, If I remember right I am running the .87. Not sure though. I take another look this weekend.

Grumpy

creophus

hhhmmm...those links to the pictures don't work. I suppose I'll try navigating to them after going to the main page.

Edit: I still can't figure out the pictures.

Siddhartha
Car: cars computers women martial arts

Wow, Grumpy, nice car, I love the color!!

Try copying link and pasting into the address bar.

Projekt

the color's black ??? i think it looks nice, i was worried about the GTR bumper but it doesn't look bad, at least from that one angle. feel free to mail me the GT2835 when you're done with it :)

creophus

So what kind of power are you making? Can you tell us about your install? Was it difficult? Do you recommend it? About how much $$$ do you have invested?

mmerritt2

Beautiful car, i am also wondering how much you have invested in such an amazing looking car! What do you run in the 1/4?

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”