30,000 mile maintance?????

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
Chuck350Z
Car: 2003 350Z Performance

Has anyone had this done to their Z? Im approaching 30,000 and the dealer told me that it runs 430 beans! Is this even worth having done?

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Hi Chuck..

Welcome to Nico!!..

Now to your question.

Are you talking about the premium maintenance package or the schedule 1/2?

Lets go thru item by item for premium:

-New Air Filter. ..Yes!-Oil and filter, no brainer but you knew that (unless you just had it done then skip it)-lubricate Locks/Hinges: Something you can do yourself(Edit due to Scotts input)-Replace LSD oil, absolutely if you havent already, Nissan diffs last long time but only if this is done-Replace Air Filter, Yes if not done recently, already-Flush Coolant, yes.-Replace belts. Tough one, could be skipped but me, I might have it done anyway-Fuel Filter, replace , Yes!!!!!!-replace Manual Tranny fluid, absolutely, I like having dealer do it too 'cuz few independents, will use the correct fluid for a Nissan MT-New radiator Cap, Yes-New Wiper bades, Yes, I like to do mine evrey 6 months anyway, its better for the windshield as old blades get scratchy-Inspecting a whole slew of items,... always a good idea. you <want> them to catch stuff, remember the end of the warranty on non powertrain is approaching fast, better they catch stuff now and fix under warranty than waiting until 33,000.

thats my take on it, I belive more maintenance is better.

In addition I would add the following:-Flush brakes, bring your own Valvoline SynPower DOT 3/4 fluid-Be <sure> they have distilled water in stock when they refill your radiator with your (for summer) preferred 70 water/30 coolant mix. Bring your own distilled water if they dont stock it.-Replace Powersteering fluid

In thebig scheme of things all of thast is pretty little $$ compared to say a master cylinder w/ ABS unit, going out ina a year and a half due to water in brake fluid...(=Lotsa $$)

I know you care about your car and want to keep it this is my recommendation.

I am sure others may chime in too.I am not sure for whcih pakacge the $430 is.

If for just schedule 1 then its too much if for premium then its a good deal.

Some dealers will also offer an in-between that includes some of the key items of premium, but skips some of the more peripheral ones.

Let us know what they said it would all include

Fred..

PS: Talk to Tom from R Nissan about new front tires from the factory replacement stock, let it be known you want the newest of the OEM's, so you will get the nylon reinforced shoulder reinforced ones (Tom might not realize this) that will prevent or greatly reduce future feathering .

NISTECH

most of what Fred said is pretty much our standard service, But a couple things I want to touch on he mentioned. The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump and has no recommended interval, we do not replace them on this type of set up unless they have plugged up due to bad gas from a gas station or other foriegn contaminant.

There are no lube points on the propeller shaft of a Zcar. It is a non servicable shaft.

Most dealers use a premix coolant that is mixed 50/50. The typical dealer only uses distilled water for battery services and do not stock enough to perform a coolant drain and fill/Flush on their services. As a matter of fact several use tap water for batteries as well. I had to pull teeth at my last dealer just to get distilled water for the batteries and am working on the new one I am at.

The basic warranty is 3/36000 But some dealers [more then you think] will make a judgement call on a warrantable repair as weather or not to make the repair, the judgement is typically made based on saftey. If it looks like it could jeperdize your saftey they will address it, but if they think they can let it go untill its out of warranty or untill you bring it to their attention they will. The reason for this is Nissan frowns on dealers for "upselling" warranty and in many cases run a points system for this kind of activity, If the dealer gets a high point rating they risk having an audit. When Nissan decides to audit a dealer they go in planning on not leaving till they charge back a minimum of 10K of warranty repairs. Most cases the number is much higher then that due to documentation by the techs that doesnt fit in Nissans perfect world. I have seen dealers with 6 figure chargebacks. Dealers are not part of Nissan regardless of what everyone thinks. They are independant buisnesses that are associates of NNA. They operate under strict guidelines set by NNA. There are many repairs techs dont get payed for or payed correctly due to Nissan stipulations on repairs. If the problem is not verifiable they dont get payed. Or if the problem can not easily be Identified and takes extensive time to locate the problem , the tech will likely only get payed for replacing the failing part and not all his diagnostic time.

Sorry for drifting off a bit there, but that was the only way I could really explain why a warrantable part might not get addressed if found by a tech on a major service.

There are some dealers that will go out of pocket to help some customers.

PalmerWMD

R Nissan seems to be determined to get a good rep and keep it.

I dont know if you ever saw this thread on them:(am sure you guys are just as good)zerothread?id=105020

I am also aware of some economic limitations that exist for dealers doing extgra things for the customer.

I guess it can also depend on the amount of reserve warranty budget the dealer has left for the year to spend on "judgment warranty" right?

Fred..

NISTECH

Fred I did read your thread on your ordeal with the purchasing dealer and your current dealer where your at. My dealer functions alot like your current dealer, they are extreamly customer oriented [actually the owner preffers we call our customers "clients"] Like your dealer ours will go out of pocket if they know the customer is having a problem,especially with another dealer cause they want your service buisness. this usually holds true for first time customers too, They get the red carpet treatment.

But this dealer does have its short comings ,but not as many as others do,its more of an educational thing with this dealer, If they are educated on the importance of certain products they will aquire them ie the distilled water for batteries.

PalmerWMD

This place will certainly get all my service business and my car purchasing business as well (unless I buy over the board froma member).

They have gone almost unbelievably out of their way to do a good job.

Makes me think of Infiniti, one of the Service writers I think it was told me owner is thinking of opening up an Infiniti dealership as well.

Fred..

NISTECH

We have an infiniti store as well. Our service is basically the same every car gets washed and vaced before it gets returned to the customer. I could go on about the customer perks we have but I kinda stepped on chucks thread , I dont want to carry it any further in this thread. maybe I will hit up your other thread and drop our perks their.

Sorry chuck.

Chuck350Z
Car: 2003 350Z Performance

Thanx, thats good info. Im sure that its best to have it done than not, thats makes sense too me. Im just wonderin if the price I was quoted is in the ballpark of what anyone else paid for.

NISTECH

yea thats about right for a 30k, at least where I am at.

s13sr20chris
Car: nissans

30k at my store

$430coolant drain and fill(with tap water/coolant 50/50)suck brake master cyl and refill(but not bleed)rotate and balance tires(no rotate on z33)oil changelube doorssilicone on weatherstripsair filterclean and lube batterycheck and adjust belts

couple other things. my store (which shall remain nameless) goes to extremes to make money at the expense of techs and customers.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”