2nd Row Captains Chairs vs. Bench??

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
jared2
Car: 2010 QX56

My wife and I are going to buy a new QX56 next week and the dealer has one of each for the 2nd Row.

We have two kids ages 4 months and 21 months and we're trying to figure out which would be better. We'd love to be able to get to the 3rd row if its not loaded with strollerts, etc. But at the same time the middle of the bench in our MDX has been a bit useful if not cramped.

I'd also like to hear what others have had installed in their QX's. I'm thinking a remote starter, hard-wired inverter for AC power...and I can't think of anything else. So please let me know what you guys have found useful.

Thanks again.

mdstahl
Car: 2007 M35 Black Obsidian - Graphite Interior /// 2007 QX56 Silver - Graphite Interior

I looked at both and decided on the captains chairs....they come heated (admittedly, I'm not sure if the bench does or not). But I liked the fact that my 9 year old can just step over and jump all the way into the 3rd row without much fuss. Only downside is the fact that my two Golden Retrievers can now "walk" to the second row...I need to find a simple dog barrier that will prevent this. Also, additional storage is a plus for the kids...otherwise, everything lands on the floor or in the seatbacks (stretching them out of course).

laurin1
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD Silver

Just bought an 10 armada platinum, and got captains chairs, but kinda wish I had the bench. The bench in my murano was great for carrying stuff (which is what it will do for me 80% of the time.)

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Allright, here we go. I had an '04 QX56 with the Captains chairs, and I now have an '08 Armada with the bench. The Captains are nice if you don't have kids, but with kids, BENCH IS THE WAY TO GO!!!!! You have an extra seat, and the seat is huge, you can have 3 adult males sit in the bench seat comfortably. We have a 3yr old and an 8 month old. It is nice for the wife to be able to crawl into the back seat to take care of the little one if he acts up on a trip. We actually have our 8 month old in the middle, and our 3 year old is on the passenger side, it is nice because he can help take care of the little guy. Keep in mind if you have the bench, the center does drop down into an armrest and cupholders if you would like.

Hope this helps, enjoy the new ride when you get it!

jared2

I went with the Bench and I love it. It's great when you have two kids (especially since one still sits backwards).

Timmbo

jared2 wrote:I went with the Bench and I love it. It's great when you have two kids (especially since one still sits backwards).
LOL, same as me, bench, two kids, one rear facing. When the baby acts up on a long ride, my wife crawls into the back (of course I give her a little spank on the butt as she goes back there) to take care of the little one.

jared2

Timmbo wrote:
LOL, same as me, bench, two kids, one rear facing. When the baby acts up on a long ride, my wife crawls into the back (of course I give her a little spank on the butt as she goes back there) to take care of the little one.
Are you sure you're not my TWIN? I do the EXACT same thing!!!

Love to SMACK that @ss!!!

Timmbo

That is what a nice booty is for! Smackin'!!!

Hey, I was going to ask you, do you have the Platinum model with the DVD player?

laurin1

Timmbo wrote:That is what a nice booty is for! Smackin'!!!

Hey, I was going to ask you, do you have the Platinum model with the DVD player?
which one of us were you asking? Mine is Platinum with DVD, yes.

Timmbo

Question was to both of you......

Did any of you guys do the mod so you can watch the DVD's on the front Nav screen (and have FULL access to the menu and Nav options while the vehicle is moving)? It is a great mod, I love it!

laurin1

I haven't, but I'd like to. Probably get Stuart from JR's custom auto to do it for me (prefer to let the experts be the experts.

lino
Car: 1991 Q45a Fed-Spec, IQP/White, Texasoil 9 Accumulator Recharge, '93 TCU 1st Gear Start, JWFSB, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, BBS Forged Wheels, DRLs, Silverstars, Tint, Very Well Serviced.

jared2 wrote:I went with the Bench and I love it. It's great when you have two kids (especially since one still sits backwards).
Congrats! You can't go wrong with extra seating .

tkeskic
Car: 2006 M35x Premium with "Aero Package" + 2010 QX56 AWD 7 Seat/Premium + 2007 MB ML320cdi

Sorry to revive an older thread, but after reading the last 4 or so months of threads looking for relevant information to whatI was interested in, I found nothing that answered my question.. so I hope I can get a few responses with this thread; I posted this in the M forums as I didn't see this forum when I was looking earlier; so Its pretty much a cut and past from that forum...

It turns out I have to buy a bigger car... and I have my eye on the QX56;

Id specifically like to know how its treated people for service, ie low service visits etc... And also, I assume people get these because they need for room for larger families; I specifically need to be able to fit what will be a 7 year old in with a new born and a 4 year old.. basically two car seats and a boaster seat.

I was wondering what it was like getting the kids in and out of the car seats, and for the older child to get around the car seats so they can get into the back seats? (is there decent room)

also, how is it for going shopping with fitting in all the things you need from the walmart/grocery store and the 3rd row still up? does it work okay?

Well, Hopefully someone has some opinions and suggestions in this matter..

Thanks in advance

tk

jared2

I started this thread before I finally decided to buy the truck. I tell you, I couldn't be happier. Every day, it proves itself to me that it is by far the best vehicle for us.

I have a 6 month old and a 2 year old both in car seats (obviously) and with the bench, there is more than enough room for either my wife or I to sit in between and feed the baby on those long drives.

Over christmas, it really proved itself. I've always had SUVs, but I would have never gotten half the stuff loaded into the truck as I did with the QX. Granted, this was with both sides of the 3rd row down, but I highly recommend that u take advantage of the 60/40 split of the 3rd row.

In your case, having captains chairs might be best so the 7 year old can crawl into the back, but on the other hand, this is the only vehicle I've seen with a 40/20/40 for the bench so that the middle can fold flat to allow access for the 7 year old to crawl to the back through the middle. However, if you trust your 4 year old to be next to the baby, you'd probobly be best off putting the baby in the middle of the bench and either having the 7 year old on the end or using a side seat (with no car seat attached) to flip forward allowing easy access to the 3rd row. Putting all 3 on the bench would definitely free up that monsterous amount of space with the 3rd row flat.

It has the most room of any vehicle without going to one of the extended cab suburban or escalades, and this is a much better truck, for less money (than the escalade).

I can also tell you that it handles the snow amazingly well. In the blizzard we had in the northeast two weeks ago, I was driving home at 1am with a foot of snow on the roads and no plows. I even had no trouble going up the steep hill to my in-laws place also unplowed. It was amazing. I was prepared to leave it at the bottom of the hill (it's verrrry steep).

Bottom line, you're not going to find a nicer driving vehicle or amenities in the large family class. 2 months later and I still get that "I love that truck" feeling every time I drive it. Not to mention the compliments I get on how it looks.

To address one of your other questions, my wife and I have no problem getting the kids in and out, but we are on the taller side. (I'm 6'3" and she's 5'7"). If your wife is shorter, she may.

Again, I love the truck and have had no problems. It's the perfect family vehicle.

Timmbo

You sound just like my family, same heights (my wife may be an inch or two shorter than your wifer), and I have two children the same ages. I could not agree with you more!

jared2

Haha. Best family vehicle I've seen!

How did u do the mod or the video in the front? I also want to override the button fading while moving. Have you done this as well?

Did you have someone do all this for you? If so, how much did it cost?

Timmbo

jared2 wrote:Haha. Best family vehicle I've seen!

How did u do the mod or the video in the front? I also want to override the button fading while moving. Have you done this as well?

Did you have someone do all this for you? If so, how much did it cost?
LOL, very simple, you can do this yourself for under $10. This will allow video on the front Nav screen while driving, and allow full Navigation menu while driving as well. I personally have done this on my Armada. Here is a link with the details:

zerothread/301458

tkeskic
Car: 2006 M35x Premium with "Aero Package" + 2010 QX56 AWD 7 Seat/Premium + 2007 MB ML320cdi

Jared2Thanks for the feedback - I'm putting in an offer on one Tuesday and see where it goes;I'm going to have to get the Captains Chairs and not the bench as I have to have two car seats and a boaster seat for an older child, I think the two car seats will end up in the second row, and the boaster seat in the rear; I don't see a way to use the bench seats and have two cars seats and the ability to have the 8 year old climb into the 3rd row... so I had to opt for the 7 passenger...

Either way, I think its fine, I think I will have to rip out those pull down Monitors also; I have a really hard time seeing out the back with those down while driving (review mirror/lane changes)

so I will have to find someone to install a display in each headrest also I think. ( Any Idea's )

I think I also want to put a Sat video system in, so I will look into that, I think Sirius has one, I will have to see if the CRTC lets us Canadian buy that service...

I posted another thread looking for any last min suggestions, I think after searching and reading these forums for the last few weeks there has not been anything that stands out as cause for concern... but I second direct question never hurts...

tk

Timmbo

I do not know much about Sat Video??????????

tkeskic

This is the service I was thinking about adding...

http://www.sirius.com/backseattv

tk

Timmbo

Wow, that is pretty cool! I just wish there was more channels. Basically I think it should have the channels that a Basic Cable Service would offer. $300 + $6.99/month is a lot when I just pop a DVD in for the boys.

hrhajh
Car: 2011 QK56

Sorry to gatecrash but I found myself here looking for accessories for my husbands Birthday - we just bought the QX56.

I want you all to know that you have really made me smile reading your posts. More especially the smacking on the butt comments which I must tell you are a little more global than you may originally may have thought :) (Even for us old folk - we are in our 60's.)

We are really enjoying our new SUV and would highly recommend it to anyone - bucket seats or bench seats. Although after reading the posts here - I am rather disappointed I dont have any reason to climb in the back any more.

Take care everyone.

Timmbo

Welcome to the club! Thrilled to have yet another member! Enjoy the ride!

hangout
Car: 2007 FX35,, 2016 Q70L

this is the question I was trying to get the answer for a while.

first of all, need to know how many and what type of passengers will sit in the vehicle.
if only parents plus two kids, the bench seat will be good for the family. actually QX56 is not necessary. all the SUV will do the same duty. 3rd row in not useful most of the days.

In my case, I will need to load my wife, two kids and my parents ( total 6 ) inside the car, captain seat with the hallway in the center will help a lot.
tell two 60+ yrs old people try to pass the 2nd row bench seat then sit on the 3rd row, you will understand why I say this.

actually, without driving a mini van, not that many choice in the market I can pick from..
only QX56 and MB R350.

I don't see the way that my parents can jump to the 3rd row in the MDX, GX470,LX470, Pathfinder etc..

Timmbo

hangout wrote:this is the question I was trying to get the answer for a while.

first of all, need to know how many and what type of passengers will sit in the vehicle.
if only parents plus two kids, the bench seat will be good for the family. actually QX56 is not necessary. all the SUV will do the same duty. 3rd row in not useful most of the days.

In my case, I will need to load my wife, two kids and my parents ( total 6 ) inside the car, captain seat with the hallway in the center will help a lot.
tell two 60+ yrs old people try to pass the 2nd row bench seat then sit on the 3rd row, you will understand why I say this.

actually, without driving a mini van, not that many choice in the market I can pick from..
only QX56 and MB R350.

I don't see the way that my parents can jump to the 3rd row in the MDX, GX470,LX470, Pathfinder etc..
Actually, it is quite easy to access the 3rd row with the 2nd row bench. The two seats easily flip up by use of a lever, and it leaves plenty of access room to get into the 3rd row. There is actually more room doing that then trying to squirm thru the "hallway" left by remove the center console on the 2nd row Captains chairs. Make sense?

hangout
Car: 2007 FX35,, 2016 Q70L

Hi Timmo, that make sense like all the SUV can do the same, but in my case, I have two baby seats locked in the car. NO WAY can flip the second row over. At least won't happen in the car I'm driving -- QX4. I think QX56 will be the same :)

Timmbo

I have a car seat behind the passenger, and I have a car seat in the middle. They are large car seats (both Britax) and I just have enough room to pop up the seat behind the drivers seat which allows any adult to comfortably access the 3rd row.

Johnhw2
Car: Infiniti QX56 (Entertainment, Tech, Delux Touring, 4wd)

2011 qx56 bench seats in second row perfect for patting. Apply here!

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”