2nd gen Rogue clunk resolved

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Not sure if this is worthy of its own thread but if it helps just 1 person as it’s driven me crazy for months. I’ve been chasing a low speed clunk in my wife’s 2018 Rogue. It’s very much throttle driven, under 15 miles an hour when the tranny is trying to downshift and you hit the gas before it does or when you get going and have to stop quickly. Think stop and go traffic. Sounds like a throw out bearing in a stick shift. Several trips to the dealer and nothing 'till yesterday when one got it right. The ECO mode button was the culprit. Apparently it does more than show you your throttle position to help with mpg. It also adjusts the tranny and scales back the engine to achieve maximum mpg. Great for highway driving, not so great in town. The tech said shut this off and he bet it would go away. Bam! No more clunk. I am beside myself. We’ve had the ECO button on forever and never gave it a second thought. Hopefully it stays this way.
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise title

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Thanks for the update! I'm sure someone will find this helpful. When you have some spare time, you might want to read through these threads (there were a few more, but I think these will be of most interest to you:

Gen 2 Rogue Eco mode

CHATROOM: MPG 1st & 2nd Gen

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Rogue One wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:39 pm
I'm sure someone will find this helpful.
Yah, like me and a lot of Nissan dealers everywhere. We had no idea, but the dealership you visited must have had a sharp cookie who made the correlation. I took a gen2 that was in Express around the block in Eco mode, and bingo. Great detective work, kudos!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - One of the things Eco does is keep the torque converter locked up longer, and to lower RPM, than normal mode. I think that's the culprit. When you hit the gas the TCM has to unlock the TC in a hurry, but the engine is already putting on power by the time it disengages. Thunk!

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

It was actually the parts guy who called over a tech who looked like he hadn’t been shaving long lol. The tech said he’s had over a dozen rogues come in for the same thing and exactly what you said vstar was what he said. I always told the techs who looked at it that I thought it was TC/cvt related. Of course consult scans revealed nothing. I believe we’ve had the eco mode on or thousands of miles not knowing. The rogue is a completely different car in regular mode as far as drivability and performance. It always seemed clumsy and lethargic while now it’s connected and nimble. Who would have thunk it.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I took this thing back to Chicago this week to give it a good run as opposed to the wife’s baseball mom 5 mile trips. I still can’t believe all the time I wasted trying to get a tech to fix it and almost traded it for a 21 over this clunk. Im still gun shy every time I come to stop and go traffic but not a noise to be heard. I’d buy that tech a beer although I don’t think he’s old enough to drink.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

D1dad wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:41 am
I’d buy that tech a beer although I don’t think he’s old enough to drink.
Buy him one for all of us. Wow, good info!

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Maybe as a tech you can put a tsb? However that works. I’m sure it would save lots of headaches for stumped techs and customers who throw their hands up in disgust.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No, issuing a TSB is strictly corporate. There's fifty miles of paperwork involved, DOT and NHTSA and every bureaucrat's brother. But I will pass the word upstairs and let the DTS's and TSM's spread the word around. The message will get out.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I was wondering if it was broken, but I guess not, is this just because this is how crappy the eco mode is with a cvt, because honestly, i never knew any difference with it on in my 90 maxima, 2007 lexus IS250, or 2012 cadallac srx. In other words, I felt nothing with it on or off personally.

They were all automatics, so is this just because it is mated with a jatco cvt? :sad:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

casperfun wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:37 pm
They were all automatics, so is this just because it is mated with a jatco cvt? :sad:
I think it's more of a firmware/programming issue with the Rogue TCM. My gut says they just pushed the envelope for releasing the TC clutch a little too far when they chose the parameters for Eco mode.

Return to “Rogue Forum”