Gen 2 Rogue Eco mode

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
jeremy2017

What's your take on the Eco mode on the new rogues ? i own a 2015 rogue and i dont bother with the eco mode. This is my first car with eco mode, are they supposed to be that unresponsive ? i can only see using this in rush hour traffic.

SHAYE13
Car: '13 Nissan Rogue
T32 Nissan Rogue OMG LOL

very unresponsive but funny thing is i manages to get 5.9l/100km on highway at around 110km/h average
it was from Montreal to Ottawa

mmascari
Car: 2017 Rogue SL Platinum Reserve

I tried some MPG tests between ECO, Sport, and just Normal. This was without changing how I drive at all. Which meant that in ECO mode to get going when needed I had to give it more because it's slower. While the reverse was true in Sport mode and I could give it less for the same feel. I did 1 full tank, leaving ECO on the entire time, setting Sort as soon as I got in the car each time. All 3 tests were done before the car even had 5,000 miles on it, probably less than 3,000 even.

This is what I found for my style of driving.

ECO reported the worst MPG of the three. The reported number and the math when refilling the tank matched.

Sport reported a number much better than ECO. However, the math said the report was incorrect and and the actual math was the same as for ECO.

Normal reported the best, and the math matched.

I did it 3 tanks in a row, with about the same mix of commuting, city, highway and traffic between all three.

Based on this, for my style of driving, I've just been keeping both off in normal mode. The math and the report seem to match and I'm getting 25 MPG overall. On a log trip, all highway not stop and go, I got 30 MPG.

Assuming the report is correct then, I do best when using the cruise control on the highway, especially in moderate traffic. It'll report about 27 after my normal commute of about 20 miles country roads and 20 miles highway. Less if it's really stop and go on the highway instead of just heavy or light traffic.

I'm guessing if I changed the way I drive to match the mode more, I could probably do better in ECO and even worse in Sport. Your experience may differ based on how you drive. My goal was to see for "how I normally drive without thinking about it" which mode was best for that style.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum.
Help me figure out when the ECO mode in '15 best used

colonelcasey
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

It's practically useless for my driving style and the traffic I deal with. I'm better off with the responsiveness of normal mode and have gotten better fuel economy that way than with the nerfed Eco mode.

jeremy2017

In my opinion i would rather have a button to open my trunk than the eco model. (i own the S model )

rb_stern
Car: Rogue

In my 2017 Rogue in Eco mode, when switched to fuel consumption display on the dashboard, there is a curved green line that keeps moving left to right, and back, presumably to indicate the l/km. But there seems to be no correlation between what it does and whether I am accelerating, slowing down etc., or the rpm gauge. There is no reference to it in the owner's manual, and the local sales manager doesn't know how to interpret it. Can anyone tell me whether it's better to drive with it to the left or the right, i.e. when fully to the right (and the blue light above it is on) does that mean better or worse fuel economy?

Thanks,

Richard
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

rb_stern wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:38 pm
In my 2017 Rogue in Eco mode, when switched to fuel consumption display on the dashboard, there is a curved green line that keeps moving left to right, and back, presumably to indicate the l/km. But there seems to be no correlation between what it does and whether I am accelerating, slowing down etc., or the rpm gauge. There is no reference to it in the owner's manual, and the local sales manager doesn't know how to interpret it. Can anyone tell me whether it's better to drive with it to the left or the right, i.e. when fully to the right (and the blue light above it is on) does that mean better or worse fuel economy?

Thanks,

Richard
Just do what everyone else does, ignore it.

crackon4488

SHAYE13 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 7:36 pm
very unresponsive but funny thing is i manages to get 5.9l/100km on highway at around 110km/h average
it was from Montreal to Ottawa
It can't be an AWD...

nabril
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

Hello Roguers
Ive ised eco mode on long highway drives, and I think that I perceived fuel savings. How do I really know, right? I drove and the gas tank did what it did.
Does it truly "work"?

Additionally, do any of you use it in the city traffic? Is it worth it? I imagine that it's pointless in city traffic since we do need quick accelerations at traffic lights and other situations.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Eco mode in most cars only alters transmission shift algorithms and throttle response. The whole idea of eco mode is to dumb down driver throttle inputs so that the car uses less fuel due to smoother (and less aggressive) acceleration. If you are a very conservative driver to begin with, eco mode will have little to no effect in fuel savings. Cruising at a constant speed on long highway drives, eco mode does nothing to save on fuel. If you are typically more aggressive with acceleration moments like jumping off the line from a stop and feeling pressed into your seat back or shooting the gap in traffic to change lanes quickly, then eco mode will reduce your throttle response and change your shift timing so that fuel consumption is more conservative. However, it will not be more conservative than a conservative driver's driving style.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

nabril wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:32 am
Hello Roguers
Ive ised eco mode on long highway drives, and I think that I perceived fuel savings. How do I really know, right? I drove and the gas tank did what it did.
Does it truly "work"?

Additionally, do any of you use it in the city traffic? Is it worth it? I imagine that it's pointless in city traffic since we do need quick accelerations at traffic lights and other situations.
We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum. Merged with existing thread. Please read the previous posts in this thread. Thank you.

--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

ECO mode-- My Rogue has driven 34k miles so far this year (still got 1 month left). Well, ECO mode does jacks***. Even when turned on alongside Cruise Control, CC disables ECO and gives you the best fuel economy. Normal mode gets you the best MPGs if you are not on CC. All ECO mode does on the Rogue is lower the throttle response, and hurts the fuel economy, so two negatives instead of a positive of this feature. Also, from a stand-still the Rogue will go slower than a Prius on ECO.

dubnationd
Car: 2015 Rogue

I've been driving my 2015 rogue in ECO mode for the last 6 moths the pros are good gas mileage and quietness cons are loose of power from a stop and going up hills.

drummerguy
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV FWD

That flashing blue light indicates increased gas consumption. This could be a result of pressing too hard on the accelerator or from even climbing a hill. The less it flashes the better the mileage.

Return to “Rogue Forum”