240sx: changing transmission fluid / oil on s13

Articles, modifications, maintenance, DIY's, how-to's and general information for 240sx owners.
sanioll
Car: 240SX SE - Toyota Camry

ok, i changed my tranny fluid yesterday, and i tell ya, i had hard time doing it. fill plug is a pain.

anyhow, here are the instructions for people who wants to know!

STUFF YOU NEED:

--1/2 INCH RATCHET

--WRENCH ADJUSTABLE DOES WONDERS* $15

--FLUID PUMP, $8 BUCKS

--TRANNY FLUID, I USED REDLINE MT-90, $8 BUCKS A BOTTLE, YOU NEED THREE OF THOSE. MAKE SURE YOU GOT 75W-90, GL-4!!!!! GL-5 IS BAD FOR S13 TRANNY. IT WILL IT AWAY YOUR SYNCROS.

*if you cant get fill plug off, then gotta fill thru shifter hole, and for that you need a snap ring pliers?? $10 at advance auto parts.

pic see below
Modified by sanioll at 9:48 AM 12/30/2004

sanioll

once again make sure you got GL-4 for tranny fluid.

heres the back of redline mt-90

sanioll

you use 1/2 inch ratchet on tranny drain plug, and adjustable wrench goes to the fill plug..

now taking out drain plug is easy. DO NOT do it until you get fill plug out, if your fill plug is stuck and you took drain plug out, that means no tranny fluid == YOU ARE SCREWED!!

taking fill plug out is a pain in the ***. i broke two #17 wrenches on it. finally guys at the shop loosen it up for me.

If you can't take fill plug out, that means you gotta fill thru the shifter hole. For instructions on that, do a search on this forum, an you'll find decent instuctions on how to do it.

Oh, dont forget to put a really good pan underneath, because that fluid is very disgusting.

Drive the car for 5-10 miles,(SHIFT ON ALL GEARS!!) so that the gearbox and tranny fluid is warmed up, then get the fill plug loose, and THAN GO AHEAD AND TAKE OUT THE DRAIN PLUG!!

Modified by sanioll at 9:42 PM 1/5/2005
Modified by sanioll at 3:37 AM 8/22/2005

sanioll

this is the mess you might expect if you didn't open the air relief on the oil catch pan. trust me, you dont want that sticky tranny fluid on your garage floor.

very sticky fluid feel, even with the rubber gloves on.

Dont let this mess happen to you

sanioll

Ok, this is how drain plug looks like, see below. Make sure you clean it good with a cloth or something. it has worn out paticles of tranny attracted to its magnet. Don't lick it!

sanioll

1. AFTER DRAIN PLUG IS OUT, PUT THE CAR DOWN, TAKE OUT ALL JACKS EVERYTING. MAKE SURE CAR LEVELED DOWN ALL THE WAY. ALSO MAKE SURE NOT TO CRASH OIL PAN. mINE WAS FINE.

2. LEAVE THE CAR LIKE THAT FOR AT LEAST 20 MINUTES.

3. JACK IT UP, MAKE SURE YOU GOT SAFE SUPPORT

4. PUT DRAIN PLUG BACK ON, MAKE SURE ITS TIGHT ENOUGH, PUT SEALANT ON IT IF YOUWAN.T

5. TAKE OUT LOOSE FILL PLUG (IF YOUDIDNT DO IT EARLIER, YOURE ****ED)

6. TAKE YOUR FLIUD PUMP, DRAW FLUID FROM MT-90 CAN AND PUMP IT IN, THRU FILL HOLE. MAKE SURE THAT YOU CAN STICK FLUID PUMP NOSE IN THAT HOLE, OTHERWISE YOURE ****ED AGAIN.

7. IMPORTANT, IMPORTANT::: if you drained all the fluid outta tranny, now you gonna need 2.4 liters. YES LITERS, not quarts.

8. if you got redline mt90 then its about 2.5 bottles. 2 bottles and half. kabish? no more no less.

9. bigger the pump, less time it'll take ya to do it. with mine. it took me 3 suctions per bottle to empty it.

10. after you put in 2.4 liters for s13 tranny, put FILL PLUG back on,. tighten it, enough but not to the point that you gonna break a wrench next time.

START THE CAR, TAKE IT FOR A DRIVE, AND NOTICE EASY SHIFTING ON COLD AND DECENT WEATHER.
Modified by sanioll at 5:14 AM 6/13/2005

rek916

Good stuff man, this thread was very informative! Kudos to you! ^_-

sanioll

UPDATE:

I had some major leaks with redline mt-90. its bad stuff, run away, run away.

Just kidding, its everything you could wish for in a tranny fluid. No leaks, no problems at all. Since i'm going to a place that will freeze my *** to death, this oil will prove useful. Below 10F temperatures, here I come.

I got a chance to test the car in cold weather too. It was finally somewhat chily in the morning and i got to drive it while the drivetrain is cold.

Car idled for 3-4 minutes, and i drove off.

Well, to my surprise, you may still feel that harsh shifting from 1st to 2nd because the transmission is cold, but overall, it shifts as easy as it could get.

Oh, and also, the sound on the tranny while operating, has decreased a bit. Like I said its awesome.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. GOOD OIL for OUR S13 GEARBOX.
Modified by sanioll at 3:39 AM 8/22/2005

Timeless240

I concur. Sticky-icky-icky!

Ren
Car: 1995 240sx

where do you get the redline stuffs? I cant find it in autozone. I am in PA area.

sanioll

advance auto parts, it is $8 bucks a bottle. you need three of them, butwill use 2.5.

sanioll

UPDATE #2:

Finally i'm back from my trip. actually i was back on the 3rd. I took my 240 on a 400 mile journey with ****load of stuff loaded into the trunk and back seats + passenger. very heavy. And when you climb upto mountain with all that stuff, try to floor it, engine sounds like a heavy classic mustang, but no acceleration.

anyhow, update on gear oil. yes, i did have some problems this time. on my way back, i started to smell gear oil inside the car. well, ok, i was speeding a bit, going pas 6k rpm, passing my other buds SUV at 100mph and stuff. gearbox was hot obviously, so inside i started to smell the gear oil. and it stinks.

i'm thinking maybe i put in too much oil, so its just leaking and stuff, but nothing underneath, and no leaks at all.

SO, I GOT BOLDER AND OPENED UP THE SHIFTER, AND HERES WHAT I FOUND.

sanioll

THE RUBBER THAT SITS ON TOP OF THAT ALSO WAS DRENCHED IN GEAR OIL, AND WAS/IS VERY STINKY. WARM IT UP, IT WILL EVAPORATE AND STINK EVEN WORSE.

SINCE I;M BACK, IT DOESN'T STINK AT ALL. I'M ONLY DRIVING 17 MILES AT MOST IN ONE TRIP TO SCHOOL AND BACK, ETC.. SO NO STINKINESS. BESIDES I PUT A TAPE AROUND IT TO PREVENT IT FROM EVAPORATING INTO THE CABIN.

I WONDER WHERE I CAN BUY THAT RUBBER THING REPLACEMENT AND HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?? I JUST DONT WANT TO START A NEW THREAD FOR IT!

accel junky

Redline.... nice!

hudy
Car: 1991 240SX SE Hatch

i got mine from the dealer for like 4 bucks. Cheap enough.

sanioll

$4 bucks. WOW. i'm calling them tomorrow to order. gotta do it, it smells when i drive longer than 40 miles.

What is the actual name of the rubber again??

EDIT: i might take the camera and show how to change the rubber part and what to expect when filling tranny fluid through the shifter hole too. That should make this 100% covered tranny fluid change.

nismo521
Car: 1993 240sx hatchback

Yeah, mine was torn up pretty good when I pulled out the old shifter to put in my B&M. I would suggest that everyone w/ an S13 open up the shifter and check that thing.

Bluefire

IMO it is much easier to do it through the shifter hole. Just unscrew the shiftknob. Pop of the panel around it. Remove 4 10mm bolts holding upper cover on. Fold Lower cover up so you can see underneath. Use some snap ring pliers to pop off the ring and pull the shifter out. Fill and install in reverse order...

-Bluefire

Moto Man
Car: 93 240SX

Can you get the old oil out through the shifter hole as well, using a vacuum pump?

sanioll

Just open the drain plug under the tranny. It's a female plug, just use....well see instructions above. Why do ten times more work, when most efficient way available?
Modified by sanioll at 5:12 AM 6/13/2005

Bluefire

No you still drain from the drain plug, I just don't like dealing with the fill plug, which is almost always a pain in the butt to remove. Apparently you wasted a lot more time getting that fill plug, versus just going through the shifter hole. Not to mention if you don't have a nice pump, filling it with oil can get a bit messy.

-Bluefire

sanioll

I stopped by nissan dealership yesterday and ordered one of those lower shifter boots. Well, Hello, they always charge us here twice or 3x it actually worth. It cost me $8 bucks. thats just unacceptable. i bought fluid pump for $8 bucks. this sucks

they wanted to charge me $650 for a single rear axle last time.(drifting accident, you know.)

looks like i'm going to take more pictures while i change the boot too, and i will show how to take out the shifter too. That should fulfill this DIY to its satisfaction. I like quality stuff, product/work= ELEGANCE!

sanioll

heres another pic w/sticker from dealer. I hate "Victory Nissan" here in Richmond. They just rip you off.

sanioll

UPDATE #3:

My tranny is feeling good, no leaks, nothing. Redline performance is excellent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the instructions on how to change the lower rubber boot too.

THese instructions also can be used to take out the shifter, to fill the tranny with fliud thru the shifter.

1. Remove the snap on panel around the shifter. Just hold it from the sides and pull up. take out the 4 screws under that holds the leather boot attached to it. and this is what you will see:

sanioll

2. take out the shift knob by twisting it. how? Brute Force Attack. (mixing it with something else here )

Don't worry, just try your best, its very strong and won't break. Don't be shy to ask for help from your girlfriend. JUST TWIST IT HARD, !@#$.

sanioll

3. after you take out the shift knob and a leather boot, thisis what you left with. see pic below.

Take out those 4 screws and remove the Rubber Boot and that Metal part.

sanioll

4. You lift up the Rubber Boot and Metal part and this is what you'll be left with. MAKE SURE LOWER BOOT IS IN GOOD CONDITION. OTHERWISE GEAR OIL WILL EVAPORATE INTO THE CABIN (best condition) AND YOU GONNA SMELL THE GEAR OIL IN LONGER TRIPS. LIKE 40 MILES OR MORE.

sanioll

5. Your remove the lower boot by cutting those plastic rings(dont know the name) on top and bottom of rubber boot. and you slide the boot up the shifter.

After the Lower Rubber Boot is out, this is what you left with:

sanioll

5. even though this is a write up on how to change your old lower rubber boot, heres a tip for people onhow to take out the shifter.

Use snap ring pliers to take the snap ring that holds shifter on place. Just squeeze it with pliers and pull it out. it will take couple tries, be patient. See pic below, i used these snap ring pliers. ($10 at advance auto parts)

sanioll

6. I'm not going to post pics on how to tkae out the shifter, since i'm changing only rubber boot. old one is torn aprart as you see in the pic above.

real problem arose, when i had to put the new rubber boot on. How do you put that rubber on to a stick that is twice thicker than the rubber's hole.

Believe it or not, but i had to use a lubricant. You konw the one used in the bedroom.

It worked perfectly, it i just slide down there. You may use a regular cream too, to slide the rubber thru the shifter down there. see pic below

Return to “240sx Articles”