2104 Rogue radio volume problem

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
adpinc61
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hi Folks - so I discovered that my OEM nav radio failed. I bought one online that was claimed to be new - I installed it with no issue and it works absolutely fine EXCEPT that the volume control is not working right. I have almost no control. As soon as I turn the volume up slightly, it gets incredibly loud. I have the Bose system. I am suspicious that the radio needs to be configured for the Bose amp. I learned about a hidden radio menu that I accessed. When I looked through, I see where it says "Bose amplifier" and there is no information. Nissan wants to charge me to "diagnose this issue" but won't tell me if they have ever heard of this.

Fortunately, I can return the radio and instead by a used one that I assume was already configured. But before I do, I was hoping someone that is expert knows what is going on. Should the Bose amp be listed in the hidden menu information? I've tried calling Bosch (radio manufacturer) and Bose, and Nissan. No one is helpful at all. It's crazy. :crazy:
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise Title

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

All those Bosch navis need to be configured for Bose/non-Bose, but only the Consult3+ at the dealer can download or change the config. There's no DIY method that I'm aware of. Talk to the Shop Foreman at the dealership and not Service Advisors, the SA's aren't techs and won't know what you're talking about. Reading and altering the config is about a 2 minute operation once you get the C3+ online (which is hideously slow, sometimes a 10 minute exercise). We charge people half an hour for most routine programming and config operations like that one.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - The configs also have info about the cameras, mics, ADAS type, and other things. Your chances of getting a replacement online which already has the correct setup for everything aren't good.

adpinc61

Thank you Rogue One. That is what I was hoping someone would tell me. I just didn't want to spend $150 for Nissan to tell me "sorry, somethings' wrong."

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

adpinc61 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:11 am
Thank you Rogue One. That is what I was hoping someone would tell me. I just didn't want to spend $150 for Nissan to tell me "sorry, somethings' wrong."
Thanks for the credit, but our resident tech guru VStar650CL answered your question. :biggrin:

Hope everything turns out okay!

adpinc61

So I found a hidden menu and took down all the info for both radios. You can see below how everything is nearly identical.
The only issue with the new one as I said was that I have almost no volume control. It jumps almost immediately to too loud to listen to. The old one gets to about 1/2 the range of the volume before starting to overdrive, which was my expected behavior, or at least similar. It's like the preamp gain is simply too high.

I placed a call with my local Nissan dealer - still waiting for a call back. I hope they say they can reconfigure to match the old one. I assume that's the issue?

prod date ------> OLD: 12.2013, NEW: 8.2014
p/n -------> OLD: 259154BA0A, NEW: 259154BA0A
model -------> OLD: LCN2K70B00, NEW: LCN2K70B00
MH -------> OLD: 009, NEW: 009
HW-------> OLD: 031, NEW: 031
SW -----> OLD: B155, NEW: D025
Index -----> OLD: n/a, NEW: A
Bosch p/n -------> OLD: 7-612-051-241, NEW: 7-612-051-287
Software --------> OLD: D407, NEW: D025
Hardware (in menu) -------> OLD: 031, NEW: 031
S/N ------> OLD: 5261148, NEW: 4452045
Config ---------> OLD: 4BA1B, NEW: 4BA0A
SD card data ver --------> OLD: 2427361921, 2427361921
Meter ver -------> OLD: 0.0.0/0.49.23, NEW: 0.0.0/0.49.23
bose amp version -------> OLD: --.--.--, NEW: --.--.--
Telematics control ver -------> OLD: --.--.--, NEW: --.--.--
Gracenote database rev ------> OLD: 0, NEW: 5942

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The "bose amp version" is blank because it isn't mated to a Bose with digital feed and smartwork like the high-end Infiniti systems. On gen2 Rogues, the Bose is a "dumbware" amplifier no different from 1972, so the head unit has to be told whether it's driving an amp or not. I just about guarantee your used unit is configured as non-Bose and it thinks it's driving the speakers directly instead of driving an amp. The result is it overdrives the Bose, and your volume settings are reduced to off, loud, cover your ears, and holy s#!t.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - The D025 firmware version in that new unit is a complete dinosaur and will likely be buggy as hell. The B155 in your old unit was even older and buggier. The latest (and only bug-free) version is D407. The update takes about an hour, and last time I googled there were still some freeware downloads out there which you could transfer to a thumb drive for DIY.

adpinc61

I would love to do that! How do I do that? I just downloaded the firmware update. I can't find a manual - I didn't see an obvious USB port unless it's in the car itself? I am so thankful for all the help.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There should be a USB port either in the centerstack underneath the heater controls, inside the console box, or both.

I dunno if the freeware link here still works, but you could try it:
2014-2105-rogue-navigation-how-to-updat ... 23489.html

You can also get the update from Nissan for $59.95, already installed on a thumb:
https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/product ... 1&sku=D407

adpinc61

Success - I downloaded the firmware and the TSB! Is the USB port literally the one I use for my phone? That one? It's that simple?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yep. Not difficult at all, just time consuming. The car can be running when you do it, BUT, make sure nobody touches it during the process. Moving the shifter while the update is running is usually catastrophic. Letting the Power Saver kick off during the process is also catastrophic, so if you do it with the engine stopped, turn the hazards on to prevent the BCM from putting the car to sleep.
Last edited by VStar650CL on Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adpinc61

I assume I don't need the car to be running, right? Last thing I want to do is fubar this. I'm very techno-saavy. I was actually amazed how quick I could pull out the radio. I also had to replace my cabin blower fan - Nissan wanted $400 bucks. I saw a video on youtube and replaced it in about 20 min with a new $80 blower. Thank goodness for all these experts!!!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

See the edit above. Running is better because you don't need to worry about the BCM. Yah, Rogue radios are about the simplest R&I job in the whole Nissan line. With a power screwdriver I can have one out in under a minute.
;)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - The update is not going to fix your volume issue. That navi is mis-configured, and configs are a completely separate issue from the program firmware.

adpinc61

OK - so do you think Nissan can fix that? Or do you think that there is a problem? I had been hoping that I'd see a bose version number on the old one so it would make more sense.

adpinc61

Uggg - the firmware wouldn't load. The error message said "only use authorized NissanConnect software". It downloaded and extracted fine. But I guess it is smart enough. I guess I need to buy it because I do want the latest version on the radio, even my old one in the event I can't fix the volume issue.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You might have the wrong format on the thumb, I know it expects a specific format type (FAT32 I think, but don't hold me to it). I recall it specified it someplace in the bulletin.

The Bose/non-Bose thing is 100% fixable by the dealer. Like I said, the actual download takes only a couple minutes once the tool is set up. In this case, the complication is that they'll need to verify the other equipment options present in your car. When we replace an AV at the dealership, we first upload the existing config before yanking the unit. Then we restore the same information afterward, that's called an automatic configuration. They'll need to do a manual one unless you hook up your old unit for them. Manual means selecting options and pressing buttons, BUT, automatic might be an option since Rogue AV's are so easy to R&I. Bring a screwdriver and let them read the old AV in the service drive, then install the new one in their parking lot and visit the drive again for a download. Should work fine provided the dealership will cooperate.

BTW, I don't advertise this without a reason, but I'm a Nissan master tech with Electrical and EV/HEV specialties. When I tell you something is possible, it's because I do it every day. So if you think it will help, feel free to print the preceding statements and show them in the service drive.

adpinc61

I appreciate that. If you were faced with the volume going up far too early, does that sound like a configurable parameter? I'm more than willing to pay Nissan to do it - I was able to purchase a new radio very reasonably, so spending a little more to have it done correctly is all I want. The seller said he guarantees the radio, and already said he would take it back, but I want to just get it to work. I plan on calling the dealer on Monday since I haven't heard back yet (if you are in NJ, I'd hire you!). BTW, I did swap back my old unit, and sure enough, the volume change is exactly as expected - I need to turn it up about halfway before it gets far too loud. This one is <10% before it's ear-piercing.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Trust me, I've seen it many times before, not only with used units, but also with neophyte technicians who don't read the FSM and throw in a new AV. The default on new units is always non-Bose, so they turn on the audio and their ears pop. Here's the conversation that ensues:

"Gee, Professor, what did I do wrong?"
"Well, Johnny, didn't you see the 'RTFM' stamped on the back of that new unit?"
"RTFM?"
"Yes. It stands for 'Read The F__king Manual'. Now reinstall the old unit temporarily so you can read it and configure the new one (and next time f__king well ask me)."

Yes, I've seen that problem before. 'Nuff said.
:lolling:

adpinc61

LOL! I get it - if there was some way I could read it, and do it, it'd already be done! You are the best! I will let you know how it goes.

adpinc61

OK, so I paid to have the car serviced and they updated the radio with both firmware and software updates. They said that the radio seems to be perfectly fine, except for the volume increasing way too fast - they said there was nothing more they could do. Now the radio works even better than before, save the ridiculous volume increase. As a technical person myself, I was hoping that the BOSE amplifier had a simple gain adjustment to compensate. The dealer says they are not aware of any other adjustments, and the radio is simply defective. Any ideas from anyone?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

They needed to configure the unit, not just update it. They're completely different operations. You're dealing with dummies, try a different dealership.

adpinc61

they claim they did everything they could include configuring, not just updating. it is entirely possible the radio has a preamp problem and it jumps up. I am returning the radio to the guy who sold it to me.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If they did run a configuration, then yes, it's probably a bad unit. I have (very occasionally) seen units with bad EEPROMs that will seem to take a config but won't hold it. Maybe you're just unlucky,

adpinc61

not unlucky - stupid - the ebay seller sold me a "new" unit for $200. Odds are, it was sitting on a shelf somewhere returned for the exact issue. And since I needed other work done on the car, they didn't charge me much to reconfigure it - so I suspect they are being honest about everything they could do. I actually found another one online that is close to where I live so I am going to drive to pick it up and test it right on the spot. Your help has been greatly appreciated. A new radio is $1700 bucks! So spending a little on this crazy journey is ok. Just irritating.

Return to “Rogue Forum”