2014/2105 Rogue Navigation How to Update Firmware and get latest Maps

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
azieba
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited

Many of you have complained how Nissan has dropped the ball on the 2014/2015 and possibly 2016 Nissan Rogue map updates. After scrounging around different forums, I have learned that they either they had a corrupt firmware out there, or they changed firmware/map developers and the system was incompatible (hence no Navigation Map Updates) without doing a firmware upgrade which meant a trip to the dealership.

There is a fix. In order to load the new maps you need to be on the latest firmware. However to get the firmware, you have pay Nissan Techs to install it since you are out of warranty. So the dealer charges about $150 to upgrade your firmware, and then another $150 to get the maps. You can do this yourself for less if you choose, below are the instructions.

Most car manufacturers (Ford, Mitsubishi, Subaru, others) allow you to download the firmware and do the upgrades yourself.

Luckily, a user on another forum was able to get the firmware for his or her Xterra when their technician left the USB Stick in the car by mistake. The Xterra, Altima, Rogue and others use the same NissanConnect Navigation system.

To be able to get new maps, you need to do two things:
1. Upgrade the Firmware on your 2014/2015 and maybe 2016 Nav System to version D407 if you are not on that currently.
2. Buy new maps (either from the manufacture know as Here aka Nissan.navigation.com or via ebay)

I have used this process and was successful. I was on version D207 of the Navigation Firmware and Upgraded.

To determine if you have version D407 or newer you have to get into the secret diagnostic menu. The instructions are in the TSB below, but basically you hold down the Apps Button while turning the Tune knob 90 degrees left, then 90 right, then left and right again. You should see a system tab and you can get the details in there.

Here are the steps to upgrade your firmware:
1. Download Firmware on to your PC from this location:
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/12-electr ... ost4272548

2. Acquire an 8GB USB Stick (I believe the firmware uses a little over 3.6 GB of space, so a 4GB stick may work)

3. Format the USB Stick FAT32

4. Unzip the downloaded firmware to into a folder (default puts it into a folder on your PC called Xterra_Firmware)

5. Copy the contents of that XTerra_Fimware folder to the root of USB stick

6. Download the NTB15-011 PDF Instructions which can be found here (may have to create free account and download by clicking the diskette icon)
https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/local_l ... &catid=888

7. Follow the instructions in the NTB on how to load the firmware into the system. It takes about 35-40 minutes, so I did it on my drive to work.

8. It will reboot when it is finished. It will then load the maps (takes a few min) and might cycle a few times. You will only lose your Bluetooth association to the phone so you will need to re-pair that, all other settings and info is retained.

Now that you have the new firmware, you are free to use any new maps (2016 or newer).
Here are the instructions for loading new maps:
1. Acquire maps from Nissan's Official map source which is HERE (formerly known as Navteq), links can be found on Nissans site, but ultimately they point to you Nissan.navigation.com. At the time of this writing maps were $150 + shipping for version 10

OR

1. Acquire maps from Ebay purchasing used SD cards from previous Nissans. You can also purchase unused from Nissan Dealers online or locally. Here are the part numbers for your Rogue:
2018 Update is Version 9 and is part# 25920 9HT0A
2019 Update is Version 10 and is part# 25920 9HT0B

I was able to do V9 as that was the only thing reasonably priced on ebay at the time of my purchase (since I was trying to figure it out, I wasn't ready to shell out $150 as test).

2. Install the maps, by starting the car, powering on the radio and removing the current SD Card (behind the cover next to the CD slot).

3. Insert the card and follow the on screen instructions. It will look the same as below in the video that someone made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtjXLpqk2l8

4. Mine did two different map component upgrades, with reboots in between which it did on its own, so you may have multiple upgrades.

5. After all the updates are complete, it may take a few minutes for it to find your location based on the satellites.

With this you should be done.... And now for future maps, just order latest maps for a 2016 Nissan Rogue as your radio is now current to 2016 code.

Thank you to all the people who posted on those sites or created videos, with out their info, I couldn't assemble this how-to.

Hope this helps!

RGOLD
Car: 2015 Nissan Rouge

I did the upgrade on my 2015 Rogue. The old version was D207. An 8GB USB stick must be used. 4GB will not work since the update will need create an additional log folder.

Thank you for this post. I was frustrated with Nissan not giving an option to update the navigation map on the early models. Next I will get the new maps and update.

RGOLD
Car: 2015 Nissan Rouge

I was able to install the latest 2019 update however, I was surprised to see that my 2015 new neighbourhood roads are still missing. Thanks to eBay I didn't have to pay $150 for outdated maps that pretend to be "2019" .

just learnin
Car: 18 Rogue Sport
19 Frontier
13 Ram 2500
01 Civic
12 Jetta

I am currently updating a 2014 Altima Headunit with this on a bench. Does anyone know if this will work for non- D SW versions? I want to use it on another Altima Unit that is F153. If no one knows, that's fine, I think Bosch has the software online.

kevin560
Car: Nissan Xtrail 2016 SL

I have an Nissan X-Trail ( Rogue ) of year 2016 with SL trim.
I need an map update and i downloaded Nissan update tool
It tells me connect to an USB stick with vehicle information.
where can i get the vehicle information ?
It says it must contain update information from the vehicle.
Can you help me out?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

kevin560 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:27 am
I have an Nissan X-Trail (Rogue) of year 2016 with SL trim.
I need a map update so I downloaded Nissan update tool.
It tells me to connect it to a USB stick with vehicle information.
Where can I get the vehicle information?
It says it must contain update information from the vehicle.
Can you help me out?
Merged with existing topic. Please read previous posts.

tsumeone
Car: n/a

FYI, the D554 update for the (European) Nissan Qashqai works in the 14/15 Rogue as well. I updated mine and it seems to work fine (about the same as D407, if I'm being honest). It works with the 2018 map SD card just like D407. I haven't gotten to drive it around much but I haven't had any Bluetooth dropouts yet. I was getting them fairly often on D407, where audio would drop for ~500ms every 2-10 minutes while playing music from my OnePlus 6. There did seem to be some type of small update to Bluetooth based on the version screen.

Old: BTHFU: 0x07 0x00 0x2031 / 0x0311
New: BTHFU: 0x07 0x00 0x2031 / 0x1311

I found the download link here: https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtop ... =10#p53583

menyouca
Car: Nissan Rogue 2014

Thanks azieba for such a detailed post. it would help a lot, however I have a question (probably you and/or RGOLD would know that).

How would you deal with first instruction on NTB, copied below.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Connect the GR8, set to power supply mode, to the vehicle battery so that the battery will
not lose its charge during the procedure.

Hope you can reply soon :)

azieba

So what they are prescribing is that the tech put a battery tenderer on because your car will be going off battery with flashers on in their shop during the 40 min upgrade. If you have a good battery shouldn’t need this. They do it because they don’t run your car inside their garage while they wait and they aren’t certain of your battery condition. Your other option is to leave the motor running without needing the flashers. My commute to work is about 50 min so I just started it when I left. The only bad part was no music for the 40 min. Let me know if you have any more questions.

menyouca

Thanks for your quick reply.
So you mean I can start the process before driving and it will continue while I'm driving? Good idea, but please confirm that is what you meant.
And yes I have another question. See instruction # 5 & #21 below. Where would we see and write down the radio settings and how are we going to reset them?

5. Write down the radio settings.

PRESETS 1 2 3 4 5 6
AM
FM 1
FM 2
SAT 1
SAT 2
SAT 3
BASS TREBLE BALANCE FADE SPEED SEN. VOL

21. Reset the radio settings, and turn the hazard lights OFF

tsumeone
Car: n/a

menyouca wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:07 pm
So you mean I can start the process before driving and it will continue while I'm driving? Good idea, but please confirm that is what you meant.
And yes I have another question. See instruction # 5 & #21 below. Where would we see and write down the radio settings and how are we going to reset them?
That's just because your settings might get wiped in the software upgrade. It's reminding you to write down any saved presets and settings you have in case you want to put them back in later. Same for the audio settings - those instructions are really for the dealership so customers don't come back with "your stupid update deleted all my radio stations!" or "after you did the update i had to set my audio settings again i want compensation" complaints.

azieba

menyouca wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:07 pm

5. Write down the radio settings.

PRESETS 1 2 3 4 5 6
AM
FM 1
FM 2
SAT 1
SAT 2
SAT 3
BASS TREBLE BALANCE FADE SPEED SEN. VOL

21. Reset the radio settings, and turn the hazard lights OFF

Yes you can do this while driving but you have to let it finish, including the 1 or 2 reboots at the end before you turn the car off.

menyouca

Hmmm so it would not let me upgrade to D407. Here is what it said:

"Download is not possible because media is not suitable for this device.
Please use NissanConnect software download image only"

Any comment / advice?

Am I doing something wrong?, not Sure.

azieba

Menyouca, when you put it on the USB stick, did you copy the contents of the folder right onto the root of drive? For example, if your USB stick is drive G:, all the files would be on G:\ and not in G:\Xterra_Firmware. If you look at the USB stick there should several files and maybe a folder or two and not just a single folder. Also, there was nothing else on that drive before you copied stuff on to it, correct?

menyouca

Thanks azieba for your help so far.
Finally I was able to install updates.... it shows now D407 as current version.

Next I'm going to get updated below map from Nissan Navigation
Part number U4411-0080-810NAM for Rogue 2016 - available for $99 now with $50 discount.

Any tip for doing this will be appreciated.

p.s. Sorry since i'm not computer savvy, it takes longer for me to understand :)

azieba

Menyouca, no problem -- the thing you want to make sure is that you are using Nissan Navigation Third Gen SD Card Map Update V10 if you are going to spend the money. Once you get it, it is easy. Just remove the old SD Card and plug the new one in (under SD Card Logo next to CD Slot). The video above in my instructions shows the process.

menyouca

It's me again Azieba
I found this SD card on EBay.... the part # is same as you described and i.e. 25920 9HT0B,
however it says it is for "Titan Titan XD Frontier Navigation SD Card" so not sure it it would
work for Rogue. Please check when you have a chance - and thx in advance again :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2018-Nissa ... SwbX5cgJv2

azieba

Menyouca,
The part number is what matters. On ebay, they are usually pulled from scrapped cars and in this case, it appears they pulled it from a Titan. The following cars have the same Navigation system so they are compatible with each other. The list below is from the TSB and is just a sample of cars that use that same Nav Radio.
2014-2015 Altima (L33)
2014-2015 Frontier (D40)
2014-2015 Rogue (T32)
2015 Versa (N17)
2014-2015 Sentra (B17)
2015 Versa NOTE (E12)
2014-2015 Xterra (N50)
2015 NV200 Taxi (M20)
2015 Titan (A60)
2015 NV200 (M20)
2015 NV (F80)
2015 Juke (F15)

The one you linked is one that I would buy if I was currently looking for the latest maps for my Rogue.

Hope this helps.

menyouca

Ordered this SD card already. Will update with the outcome, once I receive it and it
is installed in my Rogue. It may take a while.

I so appreciate your help azieba so far.

menyouca

Finally it's done. Got SD card yesterday, inserted, updated and so far it is working fine.
Showing the new roads, tried just a little bit right now though, just one route with new roads.

Thanks so much, I would not be able to do it by my own. So grateful ;)

tbirdman
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue

I downloaded the firmware update from the "thenewx.org" website. The file that was saved to the computer was XTerra_Firmware.7z. Couldn't open it with Windows, so I had to download WinZip to unzip the files. There are 15 files and one folder...

Folder
SpecialLogDirX

Files
version.info
uimage
triton_mid
reg_nar.tar.gz
reg_gom.tar.gz
reg_eur.tar.gz
manifest.smd
manifest.mnf
mainfest
lx001.tar.gz
initramfs
force.dnl
custver.reg
container.iso
_content.md5

I would like to make sure these are the files that I'm going to copy to the USB drive? I scanned the files for viruses and the scan was negative. i just want to make sure I'm not going to brick the radio doing this (as long as i follow the directions).

Thanks

azieba

Yes, that is the correct list of files and folder, copy that all to the root of the usb stick and not a subdirectory.

tbirdman

Okay. Ordered the 2019 update from navigation.com. Going to give it a try.

anjesh
Car: Nissan Rogue 2015

would someone be able to copy the contents from the sd card and upload it? im looking into cloning it and being able to use it

tbirdman

Installed the firmware update to update it to D407. That went well, Whew.

Installed the navigation update that I got from nissannavigation.com. The SD does not have the 25920 9HT0B part number on it, but it does say it is Version 10, so I'm guessing that is the latest update.

It seems like everything is working as it should. I will update if I have any issues.

Nissan should be doing this (updating firmware) for free. At least with the Acura navigation updates, the map update disc comes with a firmware update if it's needed.

Thanks for posting this info.

Brockton
Car: 2015 Rogue SL

For those looking to update the map on the 2015 Rogue, Nissan Canada provides an update through the My Nissan section of the website which purportedly allows the use of the SD card with the latest map to be installed on the 2015 Rogue. There is a section on the website which specifies that the software is compatible with 2014 - 2017 requirements. The price of the SD is US 99.00 plus shipping costs.

This information was provided by a local dealer and apparently there is no need to upgrade the firmware according to the dealer. This seems somewhat dubious given that Nissan has changed to Bosche as their supplier.

Given my skepticism about the information provided by Nissan about this issue over the past three years, can anyone out there shed some light as to whether this is a real fix or just another 'red herring" by Nissan.

tbirdman

On the nissan.navigation.com website, if you look under 2014 or 2015 model year for the Rogue, it says "we are working on an update for this vehicle" yadda yadda yadda. If you look up 2016 for the Rogue, it takes you to the version 10 SD card update page. Under compatibility for Version 10, it does say it is compatible with 2014-2017 Rogues.

Will this work without the firmware update to D407? I don't know the answer to that question. Does the new SD card have the firmware update on it already? Don't know the answer to that question as well. I know the SD card is an "8gb" card, and the firmware update would be almost half of that. I guess the only way to answer that is for someone to purchase the map update and insert it without doing the firmware update first and see if it updates.

Brockton
Car: 2015 Rogue SL

Thanks Thirdman for your quick reply. As it was the dealership which told me that this was the way to update the map, it would suggest that Nissan would need to provide some sort of guarantee that the SD worked or money refunded! It is a conversation I will be having with Nissan next week as it is their suggested fix for the problem. I'll revert/post once I have more info.

azieba

Don't install the latest map file without the firmware update first -- it will brick your radio - see this post. post6734573.html#p6734573

I don't recall, but it was either on here or another forum I belong to where the Dealer told the user they need the firmware update to read the maps as Nissan changed vendors mid stream and there was a compatibility issue and that is why Nissan has not posted it as available on the website. Kind of sneaky to be silent sweep it under the rug like that, they should at least had a "see Dealer" on the website.

azieba

Don't install the latest map file without the firmware update first -- it will brick your radio - see this post. post6734573.html#p6734573

I don't recall, but it was either on here or another forum I belong to where the Dealer told the user they need the firmware update to read the maps as Nissan changed vendors mid stream and there was a compatibility issue and that is why Nissan has not posted it as available on the website. Kind of sneaky to be silent sweep it under the rug like that, they should at least had a "see Dealer" on the website.

Return to “Rogue Forum”