2022 Nissan Rogue SV 1.5L Turbo first problems

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Jacek2282
Car: 2022 Nissan Rogue 1.5L Turbo

ok guys I own a 2022 Rogue with the 1.5L turbo engine, I am going on 9k miles already, my work drive takes up about 1.1 hours or driving one way.. I have some issues that arose recently which have started about 2k miles back.. I am talking in with Nissan dealer to drop off my car, so they can diagnose the problem.

here is the problem:

**Usually happens in early morning hours, but sometimes in mid day, when I drive about 65-70 MPH at constant speed, then I decide to either pass a car on a single lane road or just plain accelerate from 60mph to say 80 mph, the car shutters, jerks heavily.... it seems like its chocking, not enough fuel delivery, or something with transmission...or could be something from with turbo no clue which...** lane assist is turned off ( you know how the car slows down when you pass the lane and it beeps at you ) I have that turned off... shutting the car off and back on doesn't help.

NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

again this happens on the first initial drive to work, if I park the car for anytime could be from 1 min-1 hour and drive again its a less chance of it happening...

my car sits on parking lot for 12 hours while at work, and of course overnight when I'm home.

what I have doe so far...
Nissan updated the ECM software already on it, ( there is one available now ) thinking that could fix the issue...
drove with a tech ( and of course it didn't do anything that time, hence why I am dropping it off for few days. drop off in July 8th

My wife has 2022 Nissan as well and i am afraid that she will start experiencing it as well soon,, she has only 2k miles on hers...

any help or suggestions, or anyone have experienced anything like that yet? please please let me know

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

That’s why Scotty always says never buy the first new model of anything so they can work the kinks out.

If anybody can help you, is our resident in-house Nissan tech Vstar. :dblthumb:

Jacek2282

casperfun wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:27 pm
That’s why Scotty always says never buy the first new model of anything so they can work the kinks out.

hopefully he will see this post... I tried contacting him via PM but I don't think i have enough posts to message yet or I am too new..

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

casperfun wrote:

Yah, VStar says that too. I love the new Rogues, but show me a new model without teething issues and I'll show you God's personal signature on the blueprints.

Jacek2282 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:02 pm
hopefully he will see this post... I tried contacting him via PM but I don't think i have enough posts to message yet or I am too new..
I didn't get a PM.

With no MIL lit and no codes in the system, I'm wondering if you don't have something wrong in the ADAS system (driver assistance) that's goofing up and causing the ECM to limit performance. They should probably have a look at the "Auto Cancellations" in ADAS work support for anything suspicious, and make sure the Lane Cam isn't overheating and kicking the ITS leg of the CANbus offline. One thing I can tell you for sure, if there ain't codes then finding the answer ain't gonna be simple.

Jacek2282

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:32 pm
casperfun wrote:

Yah, VStar says that too. I love the new Rogues, but show me a new model without teething issues and I'll show you God's personal signature on the blueprints.

Jacek2282 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:02 pm
I didn't get a PM.

With no MIL lit and no codes in the system, I'm wondering if you don't have something wrong in the ADAS system (driver assistance) that's goofing up and causing the ECM to limit performance. They should probably have a look at the "Auto Cancellations" in ADAS work support for anything suspicious, and make sure the Lane Cam isn't overheating and kicking the ITS leg of the CANbus offline. One thing I can tell you for sure, if there ain't codes then finding the answer ain't gonna be simple.
I will let them know to check that what you said, as for the camera possibly overheating, I have had a message pop up while driving that my front services were not responding or something like that , meaning I was in cruise control and it shut off on its own and a message popped up, them all the way to work i had this one light blinking of two cars crashing into each other or something like that, hopefully I'm describing it good and you know what i am talking about.. after i turned the car off and back on it went back to normal... but yes i will tell them what you said to check that.. if anything else comes to mind before July 8th please chime in..

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I was considering taking a trip to the dealer and checking the new rogue out. Not a fan of the look, kind of looks like every other suv in the Meijer parking lot. I am intrigued by the fuel mileage, although I just averaged 33-34.5 doing 80 through the mountains and back in my wife’s 2018. I think I’ll wait. In addition to new engine growing pains (02–04 altimas), interest rates suck! I’m paying 1.9% for my 21 Altima and now it’s 3x that. If I were to get a new rogue I’d still keep her midnight as you don’t see them hardly ever and it’s been a fantastic purchase. Approaching 60k and it still rides and drives as well as the day we bought it.

Chris...
Car: 2023 Nissan Rogue

I've had this total loss of power/choking on three occasions now, and each time it appeared that it was perhaps related to a safety system, and I'm wondering if your circumstances are the same.

Always in eco mode, but if I'm cruising on an empty highway and then just instantly floor it, I get immediate performance as requested.

However, if there is another vehicle somewhat close, even though I have a '23 S-trim that has no adaptive cruise control or lane keeping or any of that, such as when passing a vehicle going pedal to the floor or pulling behind a vehicle traveling much faster and trying to floor it to get in that gap and not cause vehicles behind to have to slow down, the vehicle did that same virtually negative power actually decelerating at full throttle application.

I also experienced this two other times:
1) coming from an elevated shopping area taking a 40o sharp ramp onto the street below and giving it gas, the throttle was completely non-responsive.
2) trying to accelerate right after a very sharp and deep dip in the road, again no throttle and had to wait a full second or two before the throttle tried to produce any power

Even the base model has collision avoidance, and even though no collision light was on for any of these events, I'm wondering if it was still intentionally bogging the engine. In your cases, was there also another vehicle remotely near?

Chris...
Car: 2023 Nissan Rogue

Jacek2282 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:46 pm
ok guys I own a 2022 Rogue with the 1.5L turbo engine, I am going on 9k miles already, my work drive takes up about 1.1 hours or driving one way.. I have some issues that arose recently which have started about 2k miles back.. I am talking in with Nissan dealer to drop off my car, so they can diagnose the problem.

here is the problem:

**Usually happens in early morning hours, but sometimes in mid day, when I drive about 65-70 MPH at constant speed, then I decide to either pass a car on a single lane road or just plain accelerate from 60mph to say 80 mph, the car shutters, jerks heavily.... it seems like its chocking, not enough fuel delivery, or something with transmission...or could be something from with turbo no clue which...** lane assist is turned off ( you know how the car slows down when you pass the lane and it beeps at you ) I have that turned off... shutting the car off and back on doesn't help.

NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

again this happens on the first initial drive to work, if I park the car for anytime could be from 1 min-1 hour and drive again its a less chance of it happening...

my car sits on parking lot for 12 hours while at work, and of course overnight when I'm home.

what I have doe so far...
Nissan updated the ECM software already on it, ( there is one available now ) thinking that could fix the issue...
drove with a tech ( and of course it didn't do anything that time, hence why I am dropping it off for few days. drop off in July 8th

My wife has 2022 Nissan as well and i am afraid that she will start experiencing it as well soon,, she has only 2k miles on hers...

any help or suggestions, or anyone have experienced anything like that yet? please please let me know
Did you ever get this fixed?

Jacek2282

Nope!! still dealing with this issue as of today 8/4/2023, and at 38k miles, which I have passed my 36k warranty threshold (I have extended and lifetime trans and engine warranty).

I noticed also through the time of owning the car that the choking/stuttering effect under load comes when it's really humid outside, ex: right after rain, also early in the morning hours when temps are 60F-70F, or when driving at constant highway speeds for some time (cruise or not) and then trying to pass someone or speed up... but only in above conditions.

It doesn't happen at all in daytime with temps 75F and hotter, hence why I cant replicate it in the day time when its hot outside or cold with low humidity. I have been at dealerships 8 times for this issue, filed a claim with Nissan corporate, but they told me that techs can't replicate it at all. Some drove the car home, I was without a car once for 2 weeks when they kept it and they all tell me no issue found..but there is an issue when I can't pass a car with a turbo charged engine.

** my wife's 2022 SV (yeah we bought two) has the same issues but only at about 20-25%. She and I have both felt the jitter under load in her Rogue as well, but not as bad as mine.

RobOn2ndShift
Car: ???

Hi. Came across your post and made an account just to reply with my experiences. To me it sounds like you are having water condensing in your intercooler during you non spirited portion of your drive. Then when you kick it down, the turbos spook up and then throw that water into your engine. I have experienced this on two of my vehicles. One is a Chevy and the other is a Ford. I bought my 2012 F150 new and when the dew points was extremely high it would do it. Colder temps made the problem worse. My commute during this time would require a half hour at 60 mph and then about 10 miles on the interstate. When it would stumble it was on the on ramp when trying to get up to speed. It never threw a code until one day I pushed it thru it. Then it set a code. Truck shook violently. With the code set I went to the dealer and that is when they eventually diagnosed it had a bent rod. Even tho I had told them what had been happening they diagnosed it on the new thing called LSPI. I didn't buy it.
After getting the truck back it didn't do it as much but it still happened. During the time they had it they also changed out the intercooler under a TSB. This intercooler was not as efficient and would keep more heat in the air stream. They also returned my engine to where it would rev higher and longer in a gear instead of using torque and shifting earlier. In the end, the final solution was coming across a message board saying that a very small hole needed to be drilled into the lowest portion of the intercooler. So one day I went out and drove for an hour like a grandma. When I got back I drilled a 1/16th hole and out drained a literal cup of water. It hasn't stumbled since and that was 9 years ago. Basically the idea is that once the air goes past the engine air filter, the EPA says that everything must go thru the tailpipe and emissions equipment. Ford keeps their charge piping after the turbos constantly pressurized so no chance of sucking in dirt or water. The old Volvo's from the 80s had a built in 1/8th hole in their intercooler from the factory for this very reason. It's been the best truck since then. It's important to note that every F150 did this and it was somewhat rare because so many factors had to come into play.

My second vehicle is my wife's 2019 Equinox. It has only done it once but we were driving in really heavy rain at 34 degrees. Because of the rain everyone was going about 60 mph. When I had to get around a semi and put it down it stumbled. That threw a code right away. We stopped at a Chevy dealer 10 miles later and they swapped coil packs during their diagnostic. I knew what it was but they didn't go that far. After we got back on the road 2 hours later, it had dried up and the temps went up. So it cured itself so to speak. It's never done it since then but we haven't driven that car in that kind of rain since then.

In closing, those intercoolers can condense water like an air compressor does. My compressor has a drain where as our vehicles don't. So best of luck and hope this helps.

Vman62
Car: 2023 Nissan Rogue SV

Doesn't the intercooler have a thermostat? Is it mechanical or controlled by the ECU?

When my Rogue is cruising at highway speed, the turbo only provides enough boost to get the manifold pressure back 0 or a couple PSI higher.

Jacek2282

RobOn2ndShift wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:34 am
Hi. Came across your post and made an account just to reply with my experiences. To me it sounds like you are having water condensing in your intercooler during you non spirited portion of your drive. Then when you kick it down, the turbos spook up and then throw that water into your engine. I have experienced this on two of my vehicles. One is a Chevy and the other is a Ford. I bought my 2012 F150 new and when the dew points was extremely high it would do it. Colder temps made the problem worse. My commute during this time would require a half hour at 60 mph and then about 10 miles on the interstate. When it would stumble it was on the on ramp when trying to get up to speed. It never threw a code until one day I pushed it thru it. Then it set a code. Truck shook violently. With the code set I went to the dealer and that is when they eventually diagnosed it had a bent rod. Even tho I had told them what had been happening they diagnosed it on the new thing called LSPI. I didn't buy it.
After getting the truck back it didn't do it as much but it still happened. During the time they had it they also changed out the intercooler under a TSB. This intercooler was not as efficient and would keep more heat in the air stream. They also returned my engine to where it would rev higher and longer in a gear instead of using torque and shifting earlier. In the end, the final solution was coming across a message board saying that a very small hole needed to be drilled into the lowest portion of the intercooler. So one day I went out and drove for an hour like a grandma. When I got back I drilled a 1/16th hole and out drained a literal cup of water. It hasn't stumbled since and that was 9 years ago. Basically the idea is that once the air goes past the engine air filter, the EPA says that everything must go thru the tailpipe and emissions equipment. Ford keeps their charge piping after the turbos constantly pressurized so no chance of sucking in dirt or water. The old Volvo's from the 80s had a built in 1/8th hole in their intercooler from the factory for this very reason. It's been the best truck since then. It's important to note that every F150 did this and it was somewhat rare because so many factors had to come into play.

My second vehicle is my wife's 2019 Equinox. It has only done it once but we were driving in really heavy rain at 34 degrees. Because of the rain everyone was going about 60 mph. When I had to get around a semi and put it down it stumbled. That threw a code right away. We stopped at a Chevy dealer 10 miles later and they swapped coil packs during their diagnostic. I knew what it was but they didn't go that far. After we got back on the road 2 hours later, it had dried up and the temps went up. So it cured itself so to speak. It's never done it since then but we haven't driven that car in that kind of rain since then.

In closing, those intercoolers can condense water like an air compressor does. My compressor has a drain where as our vehicles don't. So best of luck and hope this helps.

Hi how are you.. i don't check this forum too much anymore since i haven't had any issues lately since i replaced a MAF airflow sensor in my rogue, and had a incident when i came out of work and remote started my car and huge cloud of white smoke came out of tailpipe ( i thought it was coolant for sure ) but ever since the MAF sensor replacement and the huge cloud of smoke the car haven't acted up at all.. drives smooth and strong, no hiccups whatsoever... not sure if something was clogged on the injector side or fuel pump or there was actually something wrong with the original MAF before i replaced it... ( just 1 more thing * drove on a trip that was 350 miles and mostly interstate at 90mph right after MAF replacement ) maybe me pushing the car at high speeds and constant higher RPMS unclogged something like the need for fuel????? since the next day after the trip i experience that white cloud of smoke which literarily filled the parking lot BUT i will keep what you told me in the back on my head and will CONSIDER drilling a small hole on the intercooler IF the car starts to do the same thing again...

meanwhile check out this post where i wrote that the issue was fixed..
2022-nissan-rogue-sv-1-5l-turbo-issue-s ... 33286.html

thanks for replying...

Return to “Rogue Forum”