2021 Platinum questions...

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Buttman
Car: 2021 Nissan Rogue Platinum

Just purchased my first Nissan. 2021 Rogue Platinum in gunmetal grey about 3 months ago. I am constantly amazed at the technology this vehicle has. My Wife drives it more than I do (I have a 2012 GMC Acadia SLT). Wife doesn't like, or is uncomfortable with the Pro Pilot assist. She does a lot of highway driving and uses Cruise control a lot but doesn't like the feedback from the pro pilot assist. I'm trying to convince her it is a great safety feature and that she will get used to it. I've contacted Nissan customer care to see if the cruise can be used without the PP assist but haven't heard back from them yet.

Couple small issues are an annoying squeak in the front drivers side wheel area it seems like. when you hit a bump at low speed with window open it is very clear. I took it to the dealership just after we had a heavy rain and they couldn't find the squeak but it came back after a day in the sun. The other issue is the outside rear view mirror on drivers side vibrates and blurs at highway speed. Dealer said nothing they can do about it.

Other than this I love this new Rogue. Anyone else have these similar problems? Any ideas or advice is appreciated.

Glenn

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Ok, I will think outside the box and suggest a temp fix by shoving some foam insert behind the mirror for more support. Maybe cut up some pipe foam insulation or the like and squeeze it in there.

A vibrating mirror would give me a headache, and I'm too lazy to dismantle, but new? Sucks that dealership won't stand by their product.

:rolleyes:

Buttman

casperfun wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:49 am
Ok, I will think outside the box and suggest a temp fix by shoving some foam insert behind the mirror for more support. Maybe cut up some pipe foam insulation or the like and squeeze it in there.

A vibrating mirror would give me a headache, and I'm too lazy to dismantle, but new? Sucks that dealership won't stand by their product.

:rolleyes:
The service guy said he would contact head office to see if it is a known issue but he never got back to me. I'm gonna drop back in to see him soon about the squeak and will check then.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Buttman wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:30 am
Wife doesn't like, or is uncomfortable with the Pro Pilot assist. She does a lot of highway driving and uses Cruise control a lot but doesn't like the feedback from the pro pilot assist. I'm trying to convince her it is a great safety feature and that she will get used to it. I've contacted Nissan customer care to see if the cruise can be used without the PP assist but haven't heard back from them yet.
To my knowledge there's no way to make the PP or ICC work as a "regular" cruise. We've put the idea in the suggestion box several times, since people in foggy climes often have the front radar kick out in "mist" conditions and it disables all cruise capability till the conditions clear. So far as I know, the ICC and PP systems all still work as "smart or nothing".
Buttman wrote:
an annoying squeak in the front drivers side wheel area it seems like. when you hit a bump at low speed with window open it is very clear. I took it to the dealership just after we had a heavy rain and they couldn't find the squeak but it came back after a day in the sun.
Sounds like a dry bushing somewhere if it goes away in the rain. I don't recall any "front end squeak" bulletins for the '21's, but that doesn't mean there can't be one. I won't have access to ASIST until Wednesday, but I'll take a look for you then. Remind me if Thursday rolls around and I forgot about you (the first thing that goes with old age is your memory, and the second thing is... er... umm... hang on, it will come to me....) ;)
If there isn't a bulletin, go to the dealership on a dry day and make a tech or service advisor ride with you to demonstrate the noise and get the problem on record. Then they won't be able to brush it off as "unable to duplicate, no defect found". Getting paid by Nissan for chasing noises can be a total PITA, so many techs and dealerships will actively try to brush it off as NDF if you don't deprive them of the opportunity by demonstrating the problem.
Buttman wrote:
The other issue is the outside rear view mirror on drivers side vibrates and blurs at highway speed. Dealer said nothing they can do about it.
The mirror panes are just held to the motor assemblies by plastic pawls and a strip of adhesive, and sometimes the factory won't get all the pawls seated. Try pushing hard-but-squarely on the pane using the face of your closed fist, if anything "clicks" then one or more pawls weren't locked and it's probably fixed. Blurring isn't normal, but if the dealership won't fix it and the pawls are okay, you can try stuffing some lightweight open-cell foam behind diagonal corners of the pane to "damp" the vibration while still allowing the pane to adjust.

TonyJG
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima SL Silver
2021 Nissan Rogue Platinum Pearl White/Black

With regards to your question on cruise control, the answer I believe is yes. Holding the blue pro pilot button down for a few seconds should send it to normal cruise control. Refer to your owners manual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLa2lh129XE

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

TonyJG wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:22 am
With regards to your question on cruise control, the answer I believe is yes. Holding the blue pro pilot button down for a few seconds should send it to normal cruise control. Refer to your owners manual.

Dang, that's a new one! Last time I asked back in '20, I got a shrug from upstairs. Do you happen to know firsthand if it defaults to ICC (intelligent cruise but without steering) or actual fixed-speed cruise?

TonyJG

I would imagine it is fixed speed cruise. Next time I am out with it I will try and confirm. It does say conventional cruise though so thus my assumption.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Would appreciate the info. If you wouldn't mind an experiment, I'd also be interested to know if the conventional CC will still work with the PP disabled by a covered-up Lane Cam. Our customer complaints are mainly about CC being unavailable when the Radar gets weather-obstructed, but if it will work with an obstructed Lane Cam then it should also work with an obstructed Radar. Not the sort of thing the dealership will approve of me messing with on a new or customer vehicle, and we don't have any used '21's on the lot at the moment for me to try it out.

TonyJG

According to the user manual; ProPILOT Assist provides no approach
warnings, automatic braking, or Steering
Assist in the conventional (fixed
speed) cruise control mode
This mode allows driving at a speed
between 20 to 90 MPH (30 to 144 km/h)
without keeping your foot on the accelerator
pedal.

Based on that I would deduce that the conventual system should work regardless if the cam is working or not since none of the extras provided by the cam are functional. I would be hesitant to cover the cam with anything with a sticky finish to hold it in place in case of damage to the vehicle finish so not keen to experiment with that. If I ever get the system disabled warning in rain which I have in the past I will try the conventional method and let you know the result.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Buttman wrote:
Just purchased my first Nissan. 2021 Rogue Platinum in gunmetal grey about 3 months ago. I am constantly amazed at the technology this vehicle has. My Wife drives it more than I do (I have a 2012 GMC Acadia SLT). Wife doesn't like, or is uncomfortable with the Pro Pilot assist. She does a lot of highway driving and uses Cruise control a lot but doesn't like the feedback from the pro pilot assist. I'm trying to convince her it is a great safety feature and that she will get used to it. I've contacted Nissan customer care to see if the cruise can be used without the PP assist but haven't heard back from them yet.

Couple small issues are an annoying squeak in the front drivers side wheel area it seems like. when you hit a bump at low speed with window open it is very clear. I took it to the dealership just after we had a heavy rain and they couldn't find the squeak but it came back after a day in the sun. The other issue is the outside rear view mirror on drivers side vibrates and blurs at highway speed. Dealer said nothing they can do about it.

Other than this I love this new Rogue. Anyone else have these similar problems? Any ideas or advice is appreciated.

Glenn
I'd stay 1 trillion MILES far from the garbage called Pro Pilot Assist. That system almost literally killed me and my brother at one point, failed to detect a BMW, etc., list goes on. Nissan done mess up with regular CC being integrated with the Pro Pilot Assist crap. Honestly, you are better off with HondaSensing/AcuraWatch over this POS system that Nissan created.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

TonyJG wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:11 pm
If I ever get the system disabled warning in rain which I have in the past I will try the conventional method and let you know the result.
Hopefully we'll get a used one that I can play with and save everyone the trouble. I'll be looking, my curiosity is piqued.

datechboss101 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:27 pm
I'd stay 1 trillion MILES far from the garbage called Pro Pilot Assist. That system almost literally killed me and my brother at one point, failed to detect a BMW, etc., list goes on. Nissan done mess up with regular CC being integrated with the Pro Pilot Assist crap. Honestly, you are better off with HondaSensing/AcuraWatch over this POS system that Nissan created.
Even Tesla killed a guy, the most sophisticated self-driving system of its kind. There's no automotive technology that doesn't need human supervision. There are only people who think that's the case, and some will definitely be killed by their own hubris.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:45 pm
TonyJG wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:11 pm
If I ever get the system disabled warning in rain which I have in the past I will try the conventional method and let you know the result.
Hopefully we'll get a used one that I can play with and save everyone the trouble. I'll be looking, my curiosity is piqued.

datechboss101 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:27 pm
Even Tesla killed a guy, the most sophisticated self-driving system of its kind. There's no automotive technology that doesn't need human supervision. There are only people who think that's the case, and some will definitely be killed by their own hubris.
Exactly. I am not a fan of these driver assists, but if they are going to put this on us, at least make the thing not kill any occupants or have any desire for it too. Apparently, from my experiments with my Honda (lovely 2x 500 mile round trip commutes every week), all I can say is Honda done it correctly, where if the driver isn't giving any input the system turns off. That's how all these Level 1, 2 or 3 systems should have been programmed.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Deleted
Last edited by VStar650CL on Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

datechboss101 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:51 pm
all I can say is Honda done it correctly, where if the driver isn't giving any input the system turns off. That's how all these Level 1, 2 or 3 systems should have been programmed.
All Nissan PP systems have a torque sensor in the steering wheel to sense driver presence and input. In fact, I know of no "limited" AI driving system that doesn't have something similar. Nissans will actually stop in the middle of the highway after giving you several warnings, I suppose just to scare the crap out of people reading or watching TV at the wheel. That won't stop idiots from putting their feet up on the wheel, in a Honda or anything else. Hubris is still hubris.

Buttman

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:21 am
Buttman wrote:
Wife doesn't like, or is uncomfortable with the Pro Pilot assist. She does a lot of highway driving and uses Cruise control a lot but doesn't like the feedback from the pro pilot assist. I'm trying to convince her it is a great safety feature and that she will get used to it. I've contacted Nissan customer care to see if the cruise can be used without the PP assist but haven't heard back from them yet.
To my knowledge there's no way to make the PP or ICC work as a "regular" cruise. We've put the idea in the suggestion box several times, since people in foggy climes often have the front radar kick out in "mist" conditions and it disables all cruise capability till the conditions clear. So far as I know, the ICC and PP systems all still work as "smart or nothing".
Buttman wrote:
an annoying squeak in the front drivers side wheel area it seems like. when you hit a bump at low speed with window open it is very clear. I took it to the dealership just after we had a heavy rain and they couldn't find the squeak but it came back after a day in the sun.
Sounds like a dry bushing somewhere if it goes away in the rain. I don't recall any "front end squeak" bulletins for the '21's, but that doesn't mean there can't be one. I won't have access to ASIST until Wednesday, but I'll take a look for you then. Remind me if Thursday rolls around and I forgot about you (the first thing that goes with old age is your memory, and the second thing is... er... umm... hang on, it will come to me....) ;)
If there isn't a bulletin, go to the dealership on a dry day and make a tech or service advisor ride with you to demonstrate the noise and get the problem on record. Then they won't be able to brush it off as "unable to duplicate, no defect found". Getting paid by Nissan for chasing noises can be a total PITA, so many techs and dealerships will actively try to brush it off as NDF if you don't deprive them of the opportunity by demonstrating the problem.
Buttman wrote:
The other issue is the outside rear view mirror on drivers side vibrates and blurs at highway speed. Dealer said nothing they can do about it.
The mirror panes are just held to the motor assemblies by plastic pawls and a strip of adhesive, and sometimes the factory won't get all the pawls seated. Try pushing hard-but-squarely on the pane using the face of your closed fist, if anything "clicks" then one or more pawls weren't locked and it's probably fixed. Blurring isn't normal, but if the dealership won't fix it and the pawls are okay, you can try stuffing some lightweight open-cell foam behind diagonal corners of the pane to "damp" the vibration while still allowing the pane to adjust.
Thank you 650 for all the great info. I have to head back to the dealership soon and now have a direction on how to proceed. Great name. I had a 2006 V-Star 1100. Bought her new in '06. Traded her in '13 for a '93 Electraglide Classic. I still miss the old V-Star at times.

Buttman

TonyJG wrote:

Awesome Tony. Thank you Sir. I have to head out to the airport in a couple hours and will test this out. I will report back on my findings. :)

Buttman

TonyJG wrote:

You were right. Holding the PPA button for a couple seconds starts normal cruise control mode. Thank you Sir.

firebirdude
Car: 2021 Rogue Platinum Blue/Black

Thanks for the tip on the regular cruise control! Sometimes I can deal with Pro Pilot, but sometimes maybe the road is funky or turns a lot or whatever and the steering wheel is vibrating every 30 seconds despite me being well in the lane. Rather just have regular cruise at that point.

Question for those familiar with Pro Pilot: Does it alter the amount of steering assistance it gives based on how many times you've tripped the lane warning? It seems like sometimes I can drive with just a pinky on the steering wheel and other times it refuses to "lane lock" and auto-steer at all. Maybe because I tripped the vibrate warning too many times it puts me in auto-pilot jail?

I have no issues with either of my side mirrors. No squeak that I'm aware of either.

My wireless cell charger did not work from day one. Took it to dealer and they said they unplugged it and replugged it and it has worked ever since.

My biggest issue is that both my front door weather seals leak at the top. Whenever I wash the car, the a-pillar and headliner get a faint purple line across them right where the two meet. It probably does it when it rains too, but the rain is colorless. Worst part about this is that I know the dealer isn't going to be able to do anything about it. I'm sure the weather seals are installed correctly. So unless this is a known issue and there's an updated weather seal released they can install, I expect to be told to pound sand.

Overall, my wife is very happy with it. Happy wife, happy life.

computerguy
Car: 2005 350Z Roadster/2021 ROGUE Platinum AWD

My 2021 platinum Has a button on the lower dash that disables ProPilot but maintains ICC.

TonyJG

That button turns off steering assist not pro pilot.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

computerguy wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:41 am
My 2021 platinum Has a button on the lower dash that disables ProPilot but maintains ICC.
TonyJG wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:11 pm
That button turns off steering assist not pro pilot.
I suppose that would depend on how you define what PP is. Fundamentally it's just ICC and Safety Shield with added steering capability, so if you turn off the steering but ICC and Shield are still active, is it still PP? Maybe that's just semantics, but I dunno.

TonyJG

Well pro pilot works even if assisted steering is turned off but assisted steering doesn't work if pro pilot isn't turned on.

muaythai2006
Car: 2021 Nissan Rogue SV

Does your squeaking noise on the driver side near wheel fix?...my has the same problem with 2021 sv rogue....everytime hit small/big bump it squeaking on the driver side near wheel...when not driving i push the left fender it make exact same noise...look like the fender is ruffing again the hood or the light...but the passenger doesnt make noise....

Buttman

muaythai2006 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:07 pm
Does your squeaking noise on the driver side near wheel fix?...my has the same problem with 2021 sv rogue....everytime hit small/big bump it squeaking on the driver side near wheel...when not driving i push the left fender it make exact same noise...look like the fender is ruffing again the hood or the light...but the passenger doesnt make noise....
Mine did the same thing when I pushed on the Driver's side fender or hood. Haven't used it in a few days but then the squeak has disappeared. Might have been new car break in kinda thing.

TonyJG

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:00 pm
Would appreciate the info. If you wouldn't mind an experiment, I'd also be interested to know if the conventional CC will still work with the PP disabled by a covered-up Lane Cam. Our customer complaints are mainly about CC being unavailable when the Radar gets weather-obstructed, but if it will work with an obstructed Lane Cam then it should also work with an obstructed Radar. Not the sort of thing the dealership will approve of me messing with on a new or customer vehicle, and we don't have any used '21's on the lot at the moment for me to try it out.
Had the opportunity to test this out yesterday and I can confirm the regular cruise works fine even when the front sensors are unavailable.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Appreciate the confirmation! Since the last posts I've discovered Infiniti was using that press-and-hold all the way back in the first days of ICC, and it's evidently been there all along. Found it also on a '16 Max (the first Nissan with ICC) and a '19 Murano. I suppose because it's a "feature" and not a system, there's scant mention of it in the SM, only the OM. Leave it to Nissan to let the techs be the last to know...
:squint:

macgiver

Strut towers can be creaky at times , like when cold . I've cured that by spraying liberaly silicone spray up in & around the rubber spring mounts and at the top of strut towers at and around the top rubber components .
Under the wheel well that is top & lower spring rubber mts/pads . Do sway bushings & rubber all it's rubber on the links too . :yesnod

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

macgiver wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:21 pm
Strut towers can be creaky at times , like when cold . I've cured that by spraying liberaly silicone spray up in & around the rubber spring mounts and at the top of strut towers at and around the top rubber components .
Under the wheel well that is top & lower spring rubber mts/pads . Do sway bushings & rubber all it's rubber on the links too . :yesnod
Not only that, another benefit is that it supposedly makes the rubber last longer. Well this urban legend permeating the internet. :spitout:

macgiver

Right , and just sometimes it's all in the metal structure , especially in the COLD . You know that if it subsides as the whole car , not just motor but body / frame is fully warmed up. Some will see less creaking when a good strut-brace is installed , in addition to the performance from stiffer tower to tower support!!
SO , maybe a brace and a good " helping " of silicone in the right areas can virtually eliminate the noises :yesnod IF it be the source of your problems

NMD
Car: 2021 Rogue Platinum AWD
2011 Sentra SR
2022 VW Jetta SE (wife's car, please don't hate)

OK, since the thread is titled "2021 Platinum questions", I hope the mods will forgive me for chiming in. Does anyone know what the wattage is for the wireless charger? It's barely keeping up with my iPhone SE (2020) in bluetooth audio mode. I've done this experiment a couple of times, so I think it's pretty consistent. On an hour drive it charges my phone from 20% to about 43%. My previous 2019 SL would rock it all the way to over 90% in the same amount of time via the USB. The phone also gets hot AF. So, my guess would be about 5W, but I'd like to know for sure.

Also noticed the mirrors vibrating, driver side more, passenger side less. Will try to set them as described above. And the mirrors reverse-tilt down one at a time, unlike the 2nd gen., which is a hassle (I back into my garage next to my wife's car), I am at a loss why they would change it like that.
The nav sometimes does this weird thing when it would hiccup and then it shows on on the route but just that, all the guidance is gone save for the arrow pointing straight ahead. You may deviate from the route the map will show it but it won't recalculate. Or, when getting close to the destination and deviating from the route it will give you a recalculated route, but you have to confirm it while it is offered, and if not -- it will try to lead you the most convoluted rout imaginable, like why would I even go that way. It's pretty bizarre, but doesn't happen often.
And a final truly bizarre design decision is no home link, I took it up with the dealer and that opened a whole new can of worms...

But otherwise I love the car, it's such a step ahead even compared to the 2nd gen.

Return to “Rogue Forum”