2018 Rogue SV AWD -- No AC Blower

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
MikeBeckner
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Midnight

My son in law's AC Blower is completely non-functional. The compressor runs but there's no air flowing.

The ventilation display works, including the fan speed indicator and buttons.
I tried different combinations of heat/vent settings....no joy
My SIL said that the front defrost was working, but it was not working when he brought it to me last night
No error/indicator lights
As I type this, I haven't checked fuses/relays. Once that's done, and assuming they check out, what are some known tendencies in this vehicle? My first thought was to look at the blower and resistor, but wanted to check with the collective wisdom in this group first.

Thanks for any advice!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:welcome:

Blower Basics
2017 Rogue Blower

? Repair (2011, 98000 miles) or Buy New ?
AZhitman wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:59 pm
I'm always a fan of no car payment. Are you handy (or willing) enough to dig in and do any of the repairs? A couple of those repairs are fairly simple (and seem overpriced).

Wondering why a blower motor would go out under 100k miles.... I'm VERY critical of the Rogue (overpriced and poorly-built) but that just reinforces my position.

Can't imagine making the same mistake twice buy buying a 2020. It's an inferior vehicle (the rest of you, don't bother defending it - there are better cars on the market in that category).

MikeBeckner

This is great info Rogue One, thanks. I’m going to go ahead and buy a blower just in case…looking at Rock Auto, is the Four Seasons brand a good quality replacement? I’ll pay for the Nissan OEM part if necessary, but if an aftermarket part works I’m all for it. ( I recently got burned with aftermarket fuel gauge sending units for my 2007 Santa Fe. Two sets, none of them worked properly. Replaced with Hyundai, and worked flawlessly. )

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Four Seasons is decent. The motors are standard brush types on the gen2 Rogue, pretty hard for a manufacturer to mess up. We don't actually see a lot of them fail early unless debris gets past the cabin filter, then all bets are off. The screen in the Rogue cowl is fairly coarse, so you might want to check for debris in the blower cavity and replace the cabin filter if necessary.

MikeBeckner

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:10 pm
Four Seasons is decent. The motors are standard brush types on the gen2 Rogue, pretty hard for a manufacturer to mess up. We don't actually see a lot of them fail early unless debris gets past the cabin filter, then all bets are off. The screen in the Rogue cowl is fairly coarse, so you might want to check for debris in the blower cavity and replace the cabin filter if necessary.
Thanks. That’s what I thought but wasn’t sure…Ok, now I’m Seeing way too many videos. Remove dash. Don’t remove dash. Remove the pedal assembly. Glove box? Wait what? What’s the best video out there for doing this.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No dash removal. Left lower dash and the accelerator pedal assembly need to come out. A power screwdriver with a long phillips bit will help, the blower is held in by only one screw but it's in such an awkward spot that it's hard to get torque on it by hand. Once it's out, the blower turns just a fraction clockwise to get past a pawl, then it will come loose from the housing. I usually use a medium length canted prybar and a hammer to tap it in a clockwise direction instead of trying to turn it by hand. Same deal, the motor is in such an awkward spot that it's tough to overcome the pawl by hand. Don't take the connector off the motor till it's loose, it's much easier to pop it with the motor rotated where you can see it. Reverse the procedure to reassemble. I usually tap-tap the new blower to seat it as well, it has to be seated fully for the retaining screw to line up with the hole.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Crap, wait a sec, I'm getting my Rogues mixed up. Blower on an '18 is on the right side, easier because you just have to pull the glove box. Rest of what I said is the same.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Here we go, this post has a clear pic and a detailed explanation:

post6817105.html

MikeBeckner

How in the world am I supposed to be able to reach the top right pedal assembly nut? Extension. Four way adapter. I can’t see my way through.

I’m a decent do it yourselfer, but @#&@*@&& this is frustrating.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:04 pm
Crap, wait a sec, I'm getting my Rogues mixed up. Blower on an '18 is on the right side, easier because you just have to pull the glove box. Rest of what I said is the same.
MikeBeckner wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:37 am
How in the world am I supposed to be able to reach the top right pedal assembly nut? Extension. Four way adapter. I can’t see my way through.
No pedal on an '18, it's behind the glove box on the right side. I misspoke initially.

MikeBeckner

I give up. I’m a decent do it yourself-er. For the most part if I can get to it I can fix it.

I’ve been working all afternoon trying to get to the blower for my son in law’s rogue. Accelerator assembly off. Lower dash panel off. I could see the heater core (or evaporator?) but still couldn’t see the motor. Pulled the glove box, could see the door actuators, but nothing else.

If anyone here is a pro or has access to a current shop guide, what’s the book labor time for this?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Check your other post, I corrected my self several days back but apparently you didn't see it. You're working on the wrong side. On an '18 it's behind the glovebox on the righthand side.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Look up and to the left with the glove box out, it's in a recess near the top of the HVAC. I think there are manuals here for the '14's or 15's, yours should be very similar.

REVISED: Here's a link from the '16, it's on VTL-17:

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... %2FVTL.pdf
Last edited by VStar650CL on Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The labor listed by Motor flat rate is 0.6 hours, most shops get an hour.

MikeBeckner

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:27 pm
Check your other post, I corrected my self several days back but apparently you didn't see it. You're working on the wrong side. On an '18 it's behind the glovebox on the righthand side.
Damn. I missed it. Thanks for following up. I’ll take another look…but if it’s an hour, I may pay him two lol. My mechanic has been very good to me over the years and has stuck to the book rate when it’s been wayyyy off.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. It's an hour generously. On a good day I can boot one out in 25 minutes (with suitable power tools, of course).

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Topics merged.

Return to “Rogue Forum”