2017 Rogue very noisy

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
lrwtwo
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue

I’ve noticed my Rogue is running loud. I thought it was the exhaust so I had it checked out and it wasn’t that. Has anyone else dealt with this? If so, what was your solution?
Last edited by Rogue One on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise title

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:welcome:

Forgive me, but saying your vehicle is "noisy" without clarifying exactly what you're hearing will make it nearly impossible to provide an accurate resolution. There's a very good reason why we ask newbies to READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD!
4. WE CAN'T GUESS WHAT NOISES ARE: Ask 10 different mechanics/members what a "rattle" is, and they will give you 300 different possibilities (ball joint, exhaust, shield, strut, hub, lose hatch, etc). Please don't even bother. A "rattle" can be metallic (tin or solid metal), plastic, body parts, junk we put into a car, etc. A tap, rattle, ting, clank, or scratching noise can describe 100,000 different parts and yet be different or the same description for one another; depends on the person. You call it a rattle, I call it tapping, she calls it a shaking metal, and he calls it a metallic noise.

-4a. POST VIDEO CLIPS OF YOUR NOISES: If you ask a question regarding some noise, make sure to accompany your thread/post with a video- with an AUDIBLE sound clip. we are not mind readers, and don't know how you differentiate between taps/bings/tangs/rattles, etc.
That being said, have you checked the heat shield? Literally 99 times out of 100, noises on Rogues can be traced to a broken or loose heat shield. Rogue Rattling Noise - Heat Shield?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

See if maybe the resonance box on the intake slipped off the sleeve. That will definitely change the engine note and also make it louder. You could also check for a worn out engine mount that's "bottomed" and causing more vibration than normal to reach the frame. Lastly, sometimes the exhaust flex pipes can crack underneath the woven heat shield and make the engine sound loud when it rocks in the mounts and opens up the crack. Those can be almost undetectable at idle, even on a lift, but make the car quite noisy on the road.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Try a different motor oil, some seem quieter than others.

In my case, My engine is so quiet I have grinded my starter a half a dozen of times throughout the past decade. :bang

I have to look at my tachometer to make sure it’s not running so I won’t do this. Recently installed a NEW Duralast starter which sounds more robust than OEM. :mike

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Describe loud? Could be a number of things.

lrwtwo
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue

Initially I thought it was the exhaust. I took it to Midas and was told that there was no problems with the exhaust. It gets louder around 50-60mph. It is not as loud around 70-80. It’s also not so loud when taking a cure to the right. It sounds like the rpms are running high is the best way I can think to describe the actual noise. I’m not sure if this helps. Maybe I’ll try to record the noise and post in the next couple of days

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

Out of curiosity, do you get any excess vibration when running (on the steering wheel, under the seat)? If not, have changed any of your tires to a different brand recently?

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Saying it’s not as loud taking a right hand curve and gets quieter the faster you go. If I was a betting man, which I very much am. My moneys on wheel bearing. If it’s bad enough you mistaked it for an exhaust leak then it should be easy to find. Jack up each front wheel and give each one a good shake in and out and up and down. If you Jack up both sides you can spin each wheel and should be able to hear it grind if it’s that bad.

Return to “Rogue Forum”