2014 Rogue Bluetooth problem

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Jimmy9190
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue S

This is about my wife's 2014 Rogue S, it has 77,000 miles on it. It has the basic am-fm cd radio with bluetooth. There is no Nav or amplified Bose system. The bluetooth just suddenly stopped working and we can not get her phone paired back to the car. In the radio settings when we select add phone the radio stays stuck on searching for phone and tells us to look for a device on the phone called "my car". The my car device does not show up on the phone and the radio can not find the phone either.

The car will not pair with my phone either, both phones are Google Pixel 6. Her phone is paired with and works fine with a bluetooth speaker and a wireless headset here at home so I am pretty sure the phone is ok and the problem is with the radio/bluetooth system in the car.

Does anyone know if it is possible to reset the radio or somehow update the software in the radio to fix the bluetooth problem? I have not been able to find anything about this online. I know I can reset the radio software in my 2018 Rogue through the wi-fi here at home, but a 2018 is a very different system from a 2014.

I appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The bluetooth driver is internal to the radio on a gen2 '14, so that almost certainly means the radio is bad.

Jimmy9190

Thanks Vstar for your reply. I was afraid it was a bad radio. I have a couple of options I guess. There are a couple of very good OEM radio/electronics repair shops around here where I live near Orlando, I could see if they can replace or fix the bluetooth in the radio or I found a used one on Ebay for $225.00 that looks to be in good shape and is listed as a reman part.

My question now is, if I replace the radio with a working reman radio or if I just remove the existing radio myself and send it to a local repair shop will the radio work after I reinstall it? Or does the car still have to go to the Nissan dealer to have the new-used radio or the repaired original radio programmed before it will work?

There is also a place down in Tampa that I might be able to get an exchange radio from, but right now I don't know what their cost might be or if they will even sell a radio to me, not being a commercial dealer account. I suspect they will be more on the expensive side but I might call just to see. Right now I think the Ebay reman radio may probably be the best option.

Thanks for your help on this.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

First, physically R&R'ing the radio on a gen2 Rogue is about the easiest in the whole Nissan line. Required tools: Phillips #2 screwdriver, T20 (I think, maybe T25) torx driver and a plastic prybar. Pry the HVAC Control underneath the radio loose and pop the connector, then pry the panel to the left of the radio off (the one which has the Start Button if it's I-Key). Then pry the panel which runs across the dash above the glove box loose but not off. Be careful with that one, some of the early ones had a hook that prevents it from popping all the way loose to get at the upper mounting screw for the radio. If so, pop the righthand end panel on the dash and remove the phillips screw holding the righthand vent in place, then remove the vent. That will let the panel above the glove box tilt to unhook it without damage. Once you have access to all 4 bracket screws, just remove them and the whole radio pops out. The brackets are each held on by torx screws. I can literally swap one in under 5 minutes with power tools.

The first problem with a used one is the part number. I can't stress this enough, do not shop by Make-Model-Year. Get the part number off the top of your existing radio and google that to find an exact match. If you can't find a match, take the p/n to a dealer Parts Dept and ask them to print out the "supersession chain" for that number. Any number in the chain will fit your ride, any number not in the chain will not fit.

The second problem you may have with a used one is configuration, the replacement may or may not match what's right for your car. That can result in unusable audio if there's a Bose/non-Bose mismatch, so it's a crapshoot. If the dealer will read and print the config for you for a reasonable price (it only takes about 5 minutes), it will make things easier because they can just load the same config after replacement (another 5 minutes). The dealer can also send yours out for reman by the manufacturer (Bosch), however, they all get sent to Cali and the process takes 7~10 days.

PowerslavePA
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD w/Platinum

Yeah, if you do not see "My Car" on your phone as a device, then the
BT in the radio is no good. It's HARDWARE and SOFTWARE... More than
likely, the hardware is the fault.

Jimmy9190

Thanks for the replies. I did not get a chance to call the radio repair shops today, had a busy day at work myself. I will try to make a few calls tomorrow. I would like to get the original radio fixed if it would cost less than a reman or exchange unit. I think if it is possible to fix the existing radio there would be less worry about whether a new-used radio would work at all. It will all depend on what the radio fix-it guys have to say.

I will definitely pull the existing radio out and match up part numbers and be sure the connections all match up to any used radio I might end up buying. If I do have to get a used radio I hope it is just plug and play, being that it is just the basic OE Nissan am-fm-cd with bluetooth and a reverse camera.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Jimmy9190

Update, problem solved.

Today I thought I would try the simpler solution first before shotgunning the car with a new-rebuilt radio. I disconnected the negative battery cable and let the car sit for about an hour. Then I re-connected the cable and tried pairing my phone to the car. It worked, the radio found my phone and it paired up right away and there I was listening to Pandora on Bluetooth in my wife's car. All the other phone functions worked fine in Bluetooth too. My wife and I both work from home and she was using her phone at the time so I could not try pairing it until later.

After we both were done with work I deleted my phone from my wife's car. I did that to avoid any confusion because she needs to only have one phone connected to the car to keep things simple for her while driving. It was a little harder to get her phone paired though. When I first tried to pair it the same problem happened where the radio did not find the phone and eventually timed out of pairing mode and said "Pin code not found". I tried to pair it again a few more times with no luck. Then I got an idea. I turned the ignition off and back on and put the radio back in pairing mode. Then I restarted the phone while the radio was still in pairing mode. When the phone booted up, it only took a few seconds for the "My Car" device to show up in the Bluetooth menu. I paired the phone, made a couple of test calls and tested Iheart Radio through the Bluetooth and it all works fine now.

I sure am glad I did not have to go through the expense and hassle of replacing the radio. I think what caused this problem might have been that we don't drive her car very much. I wonder if while the car was parked during the last couple of weeks maybe the radio just somehow went to sleep and forgot the phone and possibly turned off its own Bluetooth connectivity by itself. Usually we take my car when we go anywhere, but I try to drive hers at least once every two weeks, even if it just a few miles to the grocery store. Neither one of us had driven her car for about 2 weeks recently though, until my wife drove the car last week and noticed the Bluetooth had stopped working.

Anyway, it's all good now. I think the key to the solution was restarting the phone while the radio was in pairing mode at the same time. Maybe this long post will help someone else with the same problem. Thanks for everyone's help on it.

Jimmy

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

My bad, I kind of assume people have already tried the reset button and disconnecting the battery. If that's the case then it's most likely a software issue, and on a '14 it's very possible your car has dinosaur-ware in the AV. The earlier versions of that Bosch firmware, particularly the A and B revs, were all very buggy. The only stable version is the latest one, D407. You can check the version yourself with the instructions in this bulletin:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/ ... 1-9999.pdf

I know there were also downloadable files for the D407 update flying around on the net the last time I looked, so it may be possible for you to find a copy and download your own update stick without a trip to the dealer.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

This link to the D407 files appears to still work...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1u60Hg ... pza0LWejwF

...and this thread has a pretty detailed description of how to set it up and use it:
2014-2105-rogue-navigation-how-to-updat ... 23489.html

Jimmy9190

Thanks for the links @Vstar, I will try to check the radio version out soon. I appreciate all your help and will keep the links you sent handy. I got the Bluetooth working today and I hope it was a permanent fix. I guess there's always a chance the problem could come back again. I hope that driving her car more often with her phone with us will help keep that from happening.

Jimmy

Return to “Rogue Forum”