CHATROOM: Engine Noise Upon Startup

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Honva
Car: 2012 Rogue SL AWD

ImStricken wrote:
gateway wrote:Have a 2010 Rogue, bought brand new, and rattles for 2 seconds on startup. Has done it since brand new. Dealer cannot reproduce condition - and was also told that this is normal. The noise is a distinct metal to metal contact. Souns like a collapsed hydraulic lifter; but I know there are none in this engine. Has anyone managed to get a video of this? I try to catch mine every morning but it only happens when I don't have my camera with me. I am extremely unhappy with the nissan brand.
Nissan Engines make 2 Noises: the 1-2second rattle upon start-up -&- the tapping you hear for about 1-5minutes upon initial warmup when its cold outside. i will describe both noises for you:
Thanks for the very detailed info.

gateway

What type of oil is everyone using? I'm running conventional 5w 30. Dealer told me to run synthetic. Will this reduce some startup rattle?

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

gateway wrote:What type of oil is everyone using? I'm running conventional 5w 30. Dealer told me to run synthetic. Will this reduce some startup rattle?
Synth or conventional it won't really matter, as this isn't a problem that needs a repair or any kind of a mod/fix. It's totally normal. And I think synth being slightly more sheer will exaggerate the noise. Your dealer wants you to use his more expensive service ;)

checking your oil levels(as with any engine) is important, and making sure to warm this engine properly is very important.
60* degrees and above = no warming is needed
50* degrees = 30seconds is fine
45*degrees and above = 30seconds - 2min is fine.
40*degree or below = 3 - 5mins is fine.

Gone Rogue
Car: 2012 Rogue SV FWD

Is common for the valve train to be very "ticky" until the engine warms up. I noticed it a little in the summer/fall but its very noticeable now that winter is here. My Rogue has 12k miles on it and I run Mobil 1 5w30 changed at 5k intervals.

rickrogue
Car: 2011 nissan rouge

is it common? yes for older vehicle. but most vehicle now a days does not include valve train adjusting to their maintenance schedule.

ticking noise could be anywhere, nissan are awesome with their timing chain plastic guide which leads to same ticking noise until engine warms up.

I suggest consult your dealer and use your warranty :) its still free anways

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

please read my write-up on this topic. its not valve-train noise that your hearing.

post6322338.html?hilit=coconut#p6322338

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

rickrogue wrote:is it common? yes for older vehicle. but most vehicle now a days does not include valve train adjusting to their maintenance schedule.
not true. your valves do need adjusting, if you develope common symptoms. its called an "valve adjustment". all sportbikes require this service at 15,000miles. those race engines are as "modern" as they get. some cars, are not as built well(American cars), and will require this type of tune-up earlier than others - but ultimately all will need it sooner or later. there will be 'cam followers' that will wear with time, and will result in a tiny gap which will result in poor engine performance. its not apart of the maintenance schedule, and neither is the replacement of many other parts that wear or go bad. just because something is not on the silly maintenance schedule in the user handbook, is not indicative of the part(s) not needing service and or replacement. ;)
rickrogue wrote:ticking noise could be anywhere, nissan are awesome with their timing chain plastic guide which leads to same ticking noise until engine warms up.
the plastic guide isnt what leads to ticking. its the few seconds where the oil pressure is not up. when the engine is just cranking over, the oil pressure isnt high enough for the timing chain tensioner to push on the plastic guides to help tension the slapping chain(its the chain you hear thats slapping the first few seconds)

OFTEN, THE SLAPPING CHAIN IS ALSO AN INDICATION OF LOW OIL LEVEL, OR WORN OUT OIL.

Qashqai

How do you understand the engine needs valve adjustment? Recently I noticed that when the engine of my car is running at normal operating temperature, the moise it produces does not have a constant rythm. It just doesnt sound pleasant. It is hard to explain, but it sounds like among all the alves which creates a harmonic noise, one or two of them are ruining the harmony

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

poor performance, rough idle, reduced power, and then there are the valves that simply break and fall into the engine causing catastrophic engine failure lol

put it this way, dont do it before your 60k warranty is over. after that - you could do it at 100,000(if warranted), and then at 120,000-150,000 miles.

(obviously camera's cant pick up the full speed- so your only seeing a certain amount of the actual movement due to camera frame rate)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcyT18qk8ls[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8hqoE1_7bA[/youtube]

and then you can see where the valves are in this JUKE animation:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpDNjGVzTKs[/youtube]

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Gone Rogue wrote:Is common for the valve train to be very "ticky" until the engine warms up. I noticed it a little in the summer/fall but its very noticeable now that winter is here. My Rogue has 12k miles on it and I run Mobil 1 5w30 changed at 5k intervals.
Lots of good info here, great videos. To answer your question directly, yes the QR25DE engine in the Rogue is noisy when cold, you are not alone, ALL Rogue's will make a "ticking" noise when started in very cold weather. It is normal, and should disapear as the engine warms. The time to be concerned is when you have ticking, knocking, rattling with the engine at operating temps - when warm the engine should not make these noises. There are no hydraulic lifters on this engine, so no auto-adjustment when cold and hence some extra noise, in addition to the other sources of noise ImStricken has mentioned. The advantage to this type of design is efficiency, and better reliability in theory as there are less parts to fail. The downside is over time you may need a valve adjustment, which is done basically by adding thicker shims to compensate for wear.

Bottom line - this type of noise is normal for this engine when cold, so don't worry about, just enjoy your car!!!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

cold metal is stiffer. so allow the engines to warm up and then listen for irregularities.
(also, since cold metal is stiffer, and since stiffer metal is more brittle: please warm your engines for at least a minute or two before operating above 2,000rpm.) i suggest a rolling warmup- if you have the room. (i live on a quiet side street deep in the woods, and i can drive on my 1mile road, at very low speeds without ever coming in contact with traffic. so i do the rolling warm up every day. i simply roll in 2nd gear below 2000rpm until i have at least 3 or 4 dashes on the temp gauge)

Qashqai

philipa_240sx wrote: The noise should disappear after 10-20 minutes of driving. Even then, you may get an occasional ticking noise. This is normal.
I have that occasional ticking. It sounds like the engine needs a "valve adjustment". I hear it when the car is in a garage or I open the hood and poke my head close to the engine. I don't hear on the street at the red light. Under that topic, I read that if we hear a ticking noise after the engine warmed up, it can be a sign of a worn piston. On my last visit to the dealer, I asked the mechanic about that noise (fortunately it ticked for 3-4 times). He said it is normal. I think our QR engines are famous to be noisy, but an average mechanic may not differentiate a ticking noise that shows a problem or a normal, occasional ticking noise. So I don"t trust them.

Philipa said "occasional ticking is normal". What do you think? Is it normal? Do you have this occasional ticking?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:I have that occasional ticking. It sounds like the engine needs a "valve adjustment".
doubt it. i bet its either the injectors simply ticking away(normal) or the engine warming up.
I hear it when the car is in a garage or I open the hood and poke my head close to the engine. I don't hear on the street at the red light.
odds are its just the injectors
Under that topic, I read that if we hear a ticking noise after the engine warmed up, it can be a sign of a worn piston. On my last visit to the dealer, I asked the mechanic about that noise (fortunately it ticked for 3-4 times). He said it is normal. I think our QR engines are famous to be noisy, but an average mechanic may not differentiate a ticking noise that shows a problem or a normal, occasional ticking noise. So I don"t trust them.
4cyl engines are always going to be slightly louder, unstable, and shaky. its the nature of the beast. the less cylinders - the more unstable it is. that doesnt mean its broken or bad. a lawn mower is a single piston engine and vibrates like heck, yet it can run for decades.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I agree, I'm pretty sure your engine is running just as it should, just like the rest of ours. It was a really cold morning today, I had two "ticks" on my temp gauge, I left it running and got out and was again surprised at how noisy that damn thing is. It was ticking away, you could almost hear two different type of tick noises, but the engine is returning really amazing fuel economy and performance is very good so I'm not worried. I also just had a Nissan tech listen to it and he said "injector noise, and some minor valvetrain noise, nothing out of the ordinary for this engine". Later I took the car out at lunch, it was a lot warmer outside, and once the engine was fully warm it was much less noisy.

On a side note, when I drive in cold weather I often get a loud metallic rattling which I believe is coming from the exhaust, after a few years of troubleshooting I'm convinced I have broken pieces inside my catalytic converter which makes noise and reduces the effectiveness of my emssions control system. I've been plagued with a strong rotten egg stink coming from the underside of the car during long hot driving conditions. I perform and OBD smog/emissions test with my ELM OBD bluetooth adapeter and Android App, it shows that my emissions system is working much less effectively every year I own it. I just keep hoping for it to degrade to the point that I get a fault code and then Nissan will be forced to repair the problem under warratny (emissions system including cat converters have 7-year warranty).

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

egg smell = catalytic converter is shot or failing.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

bump for the rookies! ;)

jgoedhard
Car: Nissan Micra

Just reading this now and no one has mentioned about the vvt slapping around until the oil pressure adjusts the vvt properly because of a sticking locking pin doesn't lock up when not in use.

But a oil pressure chain tensioner is a new one for me.

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

i just asked VStar650CL about this and he responded with:

Sent: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:35 pm
by phmichel

Greetings VStar
There is a lot of conjecture and opinion on the forums about "piston-slap".
On the QR25DE in the Rogues and others, what IS that ticking or light knocking that happens when cold but fades when warm? Is if harmful?

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~

Re: Piston Slap
Sent: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:14 pm
by VStar650CL

I have seen a few 2.5's with a case of slap, but not many. Most of the ticky noises QR's make are either top-end noises or stuff that isn't the engine at all, like alternator clutches. Slap is easily identifiable with a stethoscope on the side of the block, it will be very audible there because it comes from skirt clearance. Once the pistons warm up, the skirts expand and the noise quits. It generally isn't harmful unless your oil sucks or you like romping on the accelerator with the engine cold.

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I changed oil on my wife’s 2018 and haven’t used an oem filter since the first oil change, now at 45k. I’ve never had any start up rattle until now and I’m blaming a faulty adbv on the oem filter. I’ve used ac delco and Bosch filters and never a rattle. I’ve got a case of oems so I’ll swap in a new one and see what happens. My 09 Altima sounds like a can of rocks until it warms up. Strangely the oem f and fram ultras are the only filters on the altima that I don’t get that one second rattle.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I notice I get less rattle with the smaller filters compared to the longer ones that I usually love using. :gotme

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I just swapped out the oem today for a fram I had laying around and the adbv was rolled back/stuck open. Not cool at all for an oem filter. Luckily it was only on her car for around 900 miles and the hot weather had the oil flowing in a second but still shoddy mfg by gohner. I’m gonna cut it open tomorrow and see what I can find.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Cheap orange can of death or the high performance ultra? :confused:

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Ocod. I’ll only have it on for 3k so I’m not to worried. Beats having a split second of no oil in galleys. I called the dealer and they said to send it to them so they can have Nissan look at it, which it’ll prbly go in the dumpster.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

D1dad wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:01 am
Ocod. I’ll only have it on for 3k so I’m not to worried. Beats having a split second of no oil in galleys. I called the dealer and they said to send it to them so they can have Nissan look at it, which it’ll prbly go in the dumpster.
No, that's exactly the sort of idiot problem that puts QC Engineering into an instant tizzy. They'll want to spank the vendor, and I don't doubt they'll want to see the failed part ASAP.

Return to “Rogue Forum”