2011 Nissan Quest LE HID Issue

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
Robj660
Car: 2011 Nissan Quest LE

The HID's on our Quest are dim. They are not bright like they use to be. I've changed the bulbs and the ballist. No luck. Is there a relay or has anyone else ran across this issue??

ralnc
Car: nissan quest

macgiver

mac here, If 'n you have had them out of the lenses and additionally R & R bulbs - gotta do this next - pull one out of lens ,Itake it there is enough wire to get a VOLTAGE check using those "ice-pick" looking Idiot testers ? You just need to pierce the positive and clip goes to ground , now you can have helper MEASSURE w/voltmeter on your "pick" to ground - note voltage and brightness , you may also ,especially if weird results gotten , puncture other(grnd return wire of bulb) and note volt & brightness . Variations of this = do it to other bulb , do it w/hi & lo beems in combo ,do this check after bulb is removed etc.
All possibilities will see if it's getting what it needs from headlamp relays / control-box . Lastly you will have wanted to test battery voltage before anything , and try all these tests w/without car running too !! :laugh:
If you may want to note the actual RESISTANCE (not just "continuity) of all the working bulbs you have , and so if you think they're wrong or defective the Ohms reading will tell you any variations - higher Ohms will of course be the dimmer ones.
* note : A little known FACT is bulb resistance actually increases dramatically upon being "energized" ,hotter filaments have higher Ohms readings.That's why a 12Volt bulb that's 5 watts yet reads 1 Ohm (off or "cold" ) doesn't draw 12Amps and 12 x 12 = 144 watts :rotfl As soon as it glows that resistance shoots up to 26 Ohms or so so 12/26 x 12 = approx. 5watt :bowrofl: This what I would try first , Glen 2/19/2018

Plankowner
Car: 2006 Nissan Quest S
2013 Nissan Quest SL
2009 Nissan 370Z

Post revival: Curious as to if you found a resolution to your dim HIDs. In my 2013 SL, I'm experiencing the same thing. Being new to the HID experience, I simply bought new bulbs and quickly found that they made no difference at all. Ultimately, I removed the driver side headlight assembly and inspected the projector reflector as best I could with a small inspection mirror and found that 60 - 70% of the reflective coating has burned off and is now a flat sand color. Obviously that is the cause of the dim output. Nissan wants almost $1700 for a new set of headlight assemblies which is a hard pill to swallow. Has anybody else encountered this and if so, what did you do to fix the dim output? I'm wondering if there is a way to only replace the reflectors in the otherwise functional headlight assembly.

alcravens
Car: 2013 Nissan Quest

Plankowner, I believe I have the same issue. Did you find a resolution to your problem?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

alcravens wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:27 pm
Plankowner, I believe I have the same issue. Did you find a resolution to your problem?
If the chrome on the reflector is peeled, there's no fix. However, if the chrome is good, HID assemblies can suffer oxide buildup on the focuser just like a halogen, with the same resulting "night blindness" Try this trick: topic628117.html

Return to “Quest Forum”