2011 M56 Engine Noise

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
spirod
Car: 2011 M56S

I purchased a 2011 M56S in Aug. '14. The car was a demo and had only 5,000 miles. In Nov. when the ambient temperature dropped, there was a strange noise coming from the engine bay when the car was first started that lasts about 15 seconds then goes away. This noise was not present when I first bought the car. The car is still under warranty. I have brought it two different Infiniti dealers. One can't find the source and the other says it is a normal noise. The belt was removed and the noise was still present. I have a recording (see link below). I was wondering if anybody else is experiencing the same noise with the 5.6 V8.
thanks.

Here is the video link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clmW_mlHPk0

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

Video link no worky.

spirod

spirod

For some reason the video link does not work. How do you attach a video with this post

spirod

try this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clmW_ml ... e=youtu.be

or look up Infiniti M56 engine noise in Youtube.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Mine does this too. 2011 as well.

spirod

So is this normal? Did it always make the noise? I bought the car in Aug. '14 with no noise present. Started making the noise in Nov. Still makes the noise now when first started but does not last as long because of the warmer weather.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

No I don't think it always did. It started around when the temps plummeted me thinks and does it now still, even though it's much much warmer. I'd say it's normal though, doesn't sound like it's breaking anything and engine is just fine to this day and it's been months. I'm not worried about it.

spirod

I have been told by others with the 5.6 that it is the oil jets on the timing chain the cause the noise but this occurs on cars with higher mileage 60K+ or if maintenance was neglected. My car has only 10k and I have changed the oil on a regular basis never past the 3 month requirement. There is a service bulletin that replaces these parts.
Some say it is the fuel pump since it is driven by the timing chain (maybe because my dealer removed the belt and the noise was still present).
And some say it is normal but on mine and now yours, the noise was not present from day 1 so I think something is at fault.
I sent a letter to Infiniti and included a couple of videos and wait for their direction.

Ilya

I can't say for certain it wasn't, but I don't believe I noticed it initially.

Frog
Car: 2011 M56s

Mine does this when cold. I don't believe this is the noise the timing chain makes.
My friend has his timing chain replaced in his 2011 and this noise is still present when the car 1st starts, just like in the vid for about 20 seconds only when cold.

spirod

Ilyakol and Frog, thanks for letting me know. When I first played the recording to two Infiniti dealers, they both said that the noise was not normal and they both suspected the timing chain oil jets being the cause. But they did not want to replace the parts until they received the ok to proceed from Infiniti. Instead, Infiniti asked them to do further diagnostics. My car has spent 4 weeks in total at the garage. One dealer said that they located the noise : power steering pump and the alternator tensioner. They replaced the parts but the noise was still present. I was fed up and then decided to go direct to Infiniti. I will let you know what they say.

Ilya

I don't really mind it, it almost sounds like an SC of sorts hahaha. But I'd like to know what answer you get in *case* it is a problem (I don't think it is).

spirod

I found some discussions about the engine noise on this very site : m56-timing-chain-replaced-at-59k-t588032.html
Describes spot on when and what I am hearing on my car....
I will let everyone know when I hear back from Infiniti.

tlaspec
Car: M56x

Im in canada and my 11m56 makes that exact noise but much louder in winter when the temps drop to -30c. I thought the noise was normal as the manual says wait 30sec before driving off when engine is cold. In the summer time the noise only occurs in the first start in morning when temps are around +10c.

Looking forward to what infiniti have to say about your issue, I'm planning to keep the car for a while and kind of worried now about timing chain going at 60k miles as per some of the previous posts.

runkmc
Car: 2011 M56X

My 2011 M56X with 67K miles has the same noise. The timing chain TSB was preformed at around 58k, and it just started this noise at around 62K. The dealership said that is is normal, but they clearly didn't believe that. I bought the car used and the timing chain had slipped (stretched) before the timing tsb was completed. I am concluding two things here...the noise is related to the bad oiler design for the timing chain, and the timing chain will fail/slip due to this issue and damage the engine.
This needs attention from Nissian/Infiniti corporate. The end result will be engines with valve damage.

spirod

Runkmc, it is interesting that the noise occurred after the TSB was done. All say that the noise disappears once the parts have been replaced.
Infiniti is not stepping up to the plate and make a voluntary recall. Instead, it looks like they are hoping the majority will be repaired when the warranty has expired.
Honestly, I don't expect to get anywhere with Infiniti but I have to start with them and I am prepared to go as far as necessary to get this resolved.

runkmc
Car: 2011 M56X

The TSB is at the discretion of the dealership. It says to replace any affected parts, but that could be a lot of parts once the chain is "grinding". I agree they must be hoping the real issues will happen after warranty. This seem like a an issue Infiniti would loose if they were challenged. It is a known issue and can lead to stranding the vehicle and destroying the valves/engine. The cost to fix in advance is much lower than after failure. I am most irritated by the comments that it is normal noise for this car. Maybe if I sat in front of the dealership and told all the potential Q70 car shoppers that my car was perfectly normal, then Infiniti would change that comment. That is definitely not a normal engine noise and it is clearly is something that should be addressed by Infiniti...before failure.

spirod

After 30 days of waiting, here is the standard issue letter received from Infiniti. They didn't even bother reading my letter which stated 1) the dealer that sold my car has closed the file on the noise issue as they believe this it is normal and 2) the second dealer, after replacing the power steering pump and alternator tensioner, does not know where the noise is coming from.

"We wish to acknowledge your recent correspondence addressed to Infiniti Canada; we regret the circumstances which have prompted you to contact us.
Infiniti and our dealers strive to serve the needs of their customers by offering superior customer service. We are indeed sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction surrounding the identification/resolution of the sound you have noticed upon start-up of your vehicle.
As we were not party to the discussions or interactions you have had dealership, it is difficult for us to comment on these matters; nor are we in a position to intervene in what is, primarily, the role of your Infiniti dealership - that of diagnosing and reparation of vehicles. As the manufacturer and distributor of new vehicles, we make all technical information, libraries and personnel available to the dealerships to assist them; they are, if you will, the "eyes, ears and hands on the ground" charged with assessment and remediation.
Naturally, we have a continual process of dealer evaluation in place to assist with and encourage best practices of dealership operation. We will certainly notate your concerns in these matters, as a part of that process; however, we would have to suggest that you continue to work with your dealership(s) as they have a direct link to our senior technical authorities should they require assistance.
We thank you for taking the time to make us aware of this unfortunate situation."

So I wrote back : What am I to do now that Infiniti Canada is telling me to return to the dealership for assessment and remediation when the Brossard dealership has closed my file and the Laval dealership cannot help me any further. Am I expected to go to another dealership? Where? Infiniti dealerships are few and far in between.
As the manufacturer with, as you indicate, all the technical information, libraries and personnel available, why can’t you provide the direction when your dealerships have failed to identify the problem? This was the purpose of contacting Infiniti Canada in the first place. The two dealerships are not able to provide further assistance.
Please have your technical personnel review the two videos that I had sent and advise the probable cause and remedy.

spirod

Update since my last post....according to Infiniti Canada, the engine noise is normal :
"As you are aware, a review of your observations was undertaken at the highest levels, involving our Resolution Team, dealership(s) and personnel from our Technical Division. The determination of said review was that the sound which you have noticed is a characteristic of the vehicle and that it is operating as designed."

spirod

Great news, Infiniti issued a recall to replace the timing chain on the M56. Dealer called to book an appointment. Said it would take 40hrs to replace. I have been worried about this since I first heard of the issue and was lobbying to get it replaced without success. Call your dealers!

adeedpb
Car: 2012 M56
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD
1995 Ford Taurus SHO (Supercharged) - SOLD

Do you have a copy of the TSB or Recall notice you can post? Or do you mean they just decided to honor replacing yours?

spirod

I do not have the recall notice. My dealer called this morning to notify me that Infiniti has issued a voluntary recall so this applies to all M56s not just mine. I am in Canada but I would think a similar notice would also be issued in the US.

I am waiting to receive my appointment to get the work done. As soon as the work has be done, I will update the forum.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

Hey! This pretty cool. I just saved a bunch of money by not starting this repair myself or purchasing an extended warranty for this one repair! Woohoo!

You can run your VIN HERE if you wish.
  • SERVICE CAMPAIGN: TIMING CHAIN
    Effective date: May 04, 2016
    INFINITI ID: P6305

2011 INFINITI M BASE
    VIN: JN1...

SUMMARY
    Infiniti is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign on certain MY 2011-13 QX56 and M56 vehicles to replace the engine timing chain, guides, and crankshaft sprocket. In some of the affected vehicles, the timing chain may deteriorate over time and distort.

REMEDY
    Infiniti will replace the engine timing chain, chain guides, and crank sprocket at no charge to the client for parts and labor. If it is determined that the timing chain has caused damage to the engine, the engine will be replaced at no charge to the client for parts and labor. Engine replacement required Powertrain Call Center pre-approval. Retailers should ensure that engine replacement is approved before informing client. Infiniti is performing this repair at no charge to affected clients for parts or labor to help ensure continued satisfaction with their Infiniti vehicle.

Please contact your Infiniti Retailer with any questions or comments about your Infiniti.

spirod

Glad for you and for all M56 owners. I love my car but this timing chain issue had me thinking of selling the car when the warranty expired.

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

My '12 M56X is in the dealership right now having the timing chain recall work done. I knew about the TBS (I have a copy of it), but wasn't aware of a recall. What started my trip to the dealership was actually my transmission...it acted up yesterday which threw a P0024 exhaust valve timing cont-B2 code. The tech said that this was due to the timing chains, so they are working on it. I am sure enjoying the new Q70L loaner in the meantime :biggrin:

spirod

Does your car have the same engine noise like in my video when 1st started ?

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

spirod wrote:Does your car have the same engine noise like in my video when 1st started ?
No, my car did not make that noise at all. The fuel pump does make some noise but not like what you are showing in your video.

spirod

Interesting. There are several members that have the same engine noise even after the timing chain TSB was done. I am curious to hear what sound my car makes after they do the TSB.

adeedpb
Car: 2012 M56
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD
1995 Ford Taurus SHO (Supercharged) - SOLD

Sweet! Thanks for the info! Putting a call into the dealer now.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”