M56 timing chain replaced at 59k!

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
M56X
Car: Infiniti M56X

I have an 2011 M56X and the timing chain went at 59k miles! Anyone else have a similar problem with this engine? I am afraid there is something wrong with the chain not receiving proper lubrication.

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

what does the maintenance log says about this? usually they are right on, dealership is going to charge an arm and a leg for this, is it still under warranty?

svard75
Car: 06 M35x

Timing chains never need replacing. Were you driving fast when it broke? Hopefully the valves werent bent.

Al B
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37X

If your M56 is less than 4 years old from the original owner's date of purchase and you have less than 60,000 miles it should still be under warantee.

lovemycarM35
Car: 2014 Lexus GS 350
With F-Sport Package
Nebula Gray
19" wheels
12.3 inch display
Navigation

Hope you 've been keeping up with oil on that car

M56X
Car: Infiniti M56X

Thanks for the replies but I was just trying to see if it has happened to anyone else with this specific engine. Timing chains are not a maintenance item and are basically suppose to last the life of the vehicle. Yes, I have kept up on oil changes. I actually am anal with it and only use Pennzoil Ultra full synthetic oil and synthetic oil filters. I have been a technician for 20 years and am master certified in service and parts with Toyota. I have already had the chain replaced by Infiniti and it was covered under warranty. It only had 59k on it when the chain went. I was actually sitting at a traffic light at idle when the chain went. When the light turned green, I stepped on the gas and the car just fell flat. The power train warranty is actually 70k on an Infiniti. 60k is bumper to bumper. I read somewhere on the internet that someone else had one go at 39k on the same car. There is definitely something wrong there! I am actually taking my car back to the dealer on Monday because there is a whining noise for the first 15 seconds when the car is started cold, which sounds like a lubrication problem to the chain.

LouCast

Damn even the 1st gen VK56 held up to abuse. They must have gone to really cheap plastic tensioners, and even cheaper alloys on the chain for that chain to give out like that. I know Nissan changed the internal design of the VK56 which is in the QX56 and M56.

svard75
Car: 06 M35x

So did your valves get bent? That happens when the chain breaks. If you're hearing a ticking sound it could be a slightly bent valve head. The chain spins the cams which pushes the valves in in perfect timing. If the chain snaps and the cams stop with the valves still open that piston can slam into the valve bending it. Ifts obviously worst if you were driving on a highway but enen the slightest tap could bend it enough so it doesnt seal perfectly and the cam lobe would then tap making a tapping noise. Did they remove the heads to inspect each valve and stem?

sel126

Hi, I'm currently shopping for a M56x and have found out that this is a common issue with this engine (in the qx56 also). It usually happens in the 60k mileage range. There is a whining noise when starting car until it warms up. The original injectors that lubricate the timing chain are defective. The dealer will replace the timing chain and install the newly designed injectors under the powertrain warranty. The job takes about 20-25 hours labor. It is a known condition at the dealerships. When Infiniti first discovered this issue they would replace the whole engine, then they realized it was becoming a common issue and found a more cost effective solution. I actually sent a car Ray Catena Infiniti to have it checked out before purchasing it from a used car dealership and they did the whole job plus all other outstanding service bulletins. Unfortunately, the dealer tried to charge an additional $2000 when I went to purchase the car (because I was paying cash and not financing through them) so I told them no deal. Hope this was helpful.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”